Beginners and Beyond

Speak softly and carry a big DAILIES (Read 46 times)

LRB

TDhat is what I liked most about Daniels when I trained for a 10K using his plan.  You create your own plan, basically.  Take the quality workouts from the book and add easy runs or other runs to the rest.

Then there are some who do not like that aspect of it, they prefer to be told when and what to run.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Then there are some who do not like that aspect of it, they prefer to be told when and what to run.

That will be my problem, at least at first. When I was on the Pfitz marathon plan, I was SO freakin' dialed in and I think it's because it was all laid out for me. I want to mess around with designing my own plans and I like how Daniels explains everything and the "thinking" part of it also is kind of cool. My only fear is that I will design a flawed plan and not get my goals.

happylily

That's me. I prefer to be told. Then I say eff that and I do what I want. Makes me feel hardcore. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

That's me. I prefer to be told. Then I say eff that and I do what I want. Makes me feel hardcore. 

Are you a rebel?  Is that what is about you that I like?  If so stop it.  

Jack, Daniels is idiot proof.

happylily

Are you a rebel?  Is that what is about you that I like?  If so stop it.  

Jack, Daniels is idiot proof.

I was born a rebel and I will die a rebel. Love me. 

happylily

Hey! I just saw on the news that a bear was seen in the backyard of a neighbor here in my small town, at 4:30 a.m. Cool! I hope they don't kill the poor guy when they finally catch it. I have no idea where it would come from, though. We're 20 minutes away from the big city and there are nothing around here but farmers fields and industrial parks. No forests. Anyway, I'll have to be careful when I go out with the kids this afternoon.

onemile

Did you look at his marathon plans? If you can hack the two workouts that he gives and still want to run too fast, THAT would be hardcore.  

happylily

Did you look at his marathon plans? If you can hack the two workouts that he gives and still want to run too fast, THAT would be hardcore.  

I'm waiting to be more rested mentally because I start reading the book. But you have me very curious now.

onemile

I'm waiting to be more rested mentally because I start reading the book. But you have me very curious now.

I'm interested in what you think of it. I am actually thinking about using the workouts from the 41-55mpw plan (in the 3rd edition) but bumping the mileage to peak at 70 for my next marathon because I don't think I could survive the workouts in the 56-70mpw plan.  They look brutal.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I'm interested in what you think of it. I am actually thinking about using the workouts from the 41-55mpw plan (in the 3rd edition) but bumping the mileage to peak at 70 for my next marathon because I don't think I could survive the workouts in the 56-70mpw plan.  They look brutal.

But isn't that the beauty of it? If they are too brutal you can adjust as you progress through the weeks, right? I have just started the book but that is how I interpret it.

LRB

They look brutal.

I agree, which took all of two minutes to conclude upon seeing them for the first time!

LRB

But isn't that the beauty of it? If they are too brutal you can adjust as you progress through the weeks, right? I have just started the book but that is how I interpret it.

Yes, but what you will find is that you are essentially doing the workouts for the lower mileage range, so the question becomes why not just do those instead then.

onemile

Yes, but what you will find is that you are essentially doing the workouts for the lower mileage range, so the question becomes why not just do those instead then.

Pretty much.  After looking at the two plans, the workouts are very similar but the 41-55 has slightly less quality. Just enough less that I think I *might* be able to pull it off.  Also, he does have workouts bolded that you can skip if you need extra recovery.

LRB

Pretty much.  After looking at the two plans, the workouts are very similar but the 41-55 has slightly less quality.

I am actually mixing workouts from the 2nd edition Plan A and 3rd edition 41-55 to kind of balance what I saw as lack luster quality myself.  Which is funny because a year ago I would have never thought that but after using some of those workouts for my half marathon I actually feel really confident in challenging myself a bit more for marathon training both in terms of mileage and quality.

happylily

I will look at it after my run tonight. You have me all really, really, really curious now.