Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins in the Rye (Read 19 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

I read Catcher in the Rye recently in my quest to read some of the classics. I didn't get it.  If Seinfeld was a show about nothing, this was a book about nothing, Published today in 1951.

Oh well, 4 done this morning gym tonight.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have either 5, 8, or zero.

Never read Catcher in the Rye but the classics I have read again have been the same.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good run/walk this morning.   4.3 miles done on the university campus and surrounding area, with 5 hills along the way.  My legs are a bit tired now.  Flippin' 95% humidity and dew-point of 76....sweat sweat sweat!  After my run/walk I just sat in the air-conditioned university gym for about 15 minutes just to cool off.  Then I took a nice COLD shower, which felt very refreshing.  Texas summer is here with a vengeance...it took a while to get here, but we are now near 100 degrees every afternoon.

Well, PAD, at least you didn't end up like Cauldon Holfield.  You should read Catch 22 next...

So you're doing 13, Damaris?  5+8+0 = ....  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

obiebyke

I'm not the biggest fan of Catcher in the Rye, but I love some classics.

I'm in a rut. The plan is to run after work. It's been a week! Let's see if I can make it happen.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

hog4life

Obie, come on now, you got this.

First real speed work for me in a long time, 6x800's with 1/4 mile recoveries, total of 8.8 miles.

SheCan

Hey guys!  Call me silly, but I didn't realize that the "canopy tour" for the forest wasn't actually about seeing the forest at all.  It's about ziplining, which is more about adrenaline seeking than anything else.  So I did the zipline and the big "tarzan swing", but realized that I hadn't seen the actual forest during the daytime!  I couldn't come to Monteverde and not go into the forest!  So I checked with the hotel and was able to get a guided tour through the forest this afternoon.  Still no running, but at least I'm being active.  Mostly I feel good after the HM, though I could feel my quads on the downhill parts of the hike for sure.

Oh Z, that sounds so freaking fun!   I sure hope you got to see more of the forest yesterday afternoon!  How'd you like the zipline and Tarzan swing?

PAD-- I totally agree with you about Catcher in the Rye.   I think I read it when I was too old-- past the teenage angst.  My problems by then were a different sort.   And yes, Scotty's suggestion, Catch 22 is MUCH, much better in my opinion, or if you like scif-fi- my kids swore Stranger in a Stange Land was their absolute favorite classic--I know not very appropriate for kids, but they were older by then.

Scotty-- ugh@ 95% humidity.  You sure are hanging despite the heat!  A cold shower after a hot run, really does feel great.

Obie-- I think I got caught in the rut also.  :-(

Mitch-- awesome you!  Great workout.  Okay, now I'm feeling guilty though!  

Doing artists workshop today, and I was too lazy to get up early enough to run.  Maybe I'll run afterwards if its cool then.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good luck, obie.

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

PAD, enjoy the gym and more classics.  I need to read some classics too, preferably short ones like Catcher in the Rye.

Hope you get the 8 in D.

Careful in the heat, Scott.

Go for it Obie.  Did you go to the game last night?

Good job with the speed work, Mitch.

Are you an artist, Cherie?

5 miles for us.  No sweat.  Forgot to charge the Garmin and got the low battery after a mile, but it kept on ticking.  I have to go to my annual training tomorrow, but fortunately, it is only a half day, but it will still be like a free day.

PADRunner

PAD-- I totally agree with you about Catcher in the Rye.   I think I read it when I was too old-- past the teenage angst.  My problems by then were a different sort.   And yes, Scotty's suggestion, Catch 22 is MUCH, much better in my opinion, or if you like scif-fi- my kids swore Stranger in a Stange Land was their absolute favorite classic--I know not very appropriate for kids, but they were older by then.

Thanks they are both on my to read list.

The museums were pretty good. If you go to the science museum, go on a school day. Too many kids yesterday for me. The DMA is pretty good as museums go and it's free except for special exhibits. It was my second trip there.

Zelanie

6:30 AM bus today got me back home in time for 8 easy miles this afternoon.  It's always such a relief to log some miles after a race and have everything feel pretty much back to normal.  I'm still going to run just easy pace for the next week.

Ziplining was fun, but maybe not something I need to do again.  The tarzan swing, on the other hand, was a blast.  After that first 10 seconds of freefall where you are wondering wtf you have just done and it's too late to go back now.  I was able to get some hiking and a guided tour through the forest in the afternoon.  Not many animals out during the daytime, but it was still incredibly beautiful.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks they are both on my to read list.

The museums were pretty good. If you go to the science museum, go on a school day. Too many kids yesterday for me. The DMA is pretty good as museums go and it's free except for special exhibits. It was my second trip there.

What else is on the reading list (if you don't mind sharing).   Haven't read much in the past few decades. I did like books like Willa Cather "Song of the Lark" and "My Antonia" and the Harry Potter books.  

SheCan

Z-- "After that first 10 seconds of freefall where you are wondering wtf you have just done"  LOL, okay, anything involving free falling doesn't exactly sound pleasant to me.  Glad you got to tour the forest and get some running miles in today.

Jerry-- "Are you an artist, Cherie?"  An amateur artist... its just mostly something I enjoy doing.  Good job on the 5m.  Garmin will stay on battery low for quite a long time.  I find however, that once I notice it up, I can't relax the rest of the run.  I'm always trying to figure out when it's gonna go dead on me, and if I'll be able to work out my miles from there.

PAD-- "The museums were pretty good. If you go to the science museum, go on a school day. Too many kids yesterday for me. The DMA is pretty good as museums go and it's free except for special exhibits. It was my second trip there."  Oh thank you for the museum reviews.  Definitely school day for me then, and knowing the DMA is mostly free is making it seriously appealing!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

obiebyke

I did it! I went out for my 44 minute run! Go me! Man, that was tough.

And nope, Jerry, no All Star Game for me. It would've been fun. That's a great field.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

hog4life

I did it! I went out for my 44 minute run! Go me! Man, that was tough.

And nope, Jerry, no All Star Game for me. It would've been fun. That's a great field.

See? I knew you could do it!!