Beginners and Beyond

Fridailies: Kicking ass with just one leg. (Read 47 times)

DavePNW

Agree that BMI is not a helpful metric.  Body fat calculation with calipers or the steel cage in the pool may be more helpful, but the BMI "calculator" is total crap.  Skinny fat is definitely a thing, so just being thin is not the all in all indication of healthy.  

Heh, I think may be fat there too. I've only had BF% measured once, at the gym, although I think using some kind of ultrasonic thing. IIRC, I measured at 22% or something. Which sounded high. But they were trying to sell trainer services, so I'm guessing they were going to make sure everyone was going to need training. So I'm just gonna assume that was not the right number.

Dave

RunningWithMyDog

OTOH, they die sooner, so have fewer years of health care expenses.

Keep in mind I'm giving you a Canadian perspective, as I'm not familiar with the numbers related to the US healthcare system.

But that line is often quoted by smokers in Canada.

It's patently false.

While they do die sooner, the problem with smokers is that they die slowly (and horrifically painfully, I might add).

So they are a drain our our socialized health care system.

tl/dr: they may have fewer years of health care expenses, but the total bill is much higher than a non-smoker.

DavePNW

Keep in mind I'm giving you a Canadian perspective, as I'm not familiar with the numbers related to the US healthcare system.

But that line is often quoted by smokers in Canada.

It's patently false.

While they do die sooner, the problem with smokers is that they die slowly (and horrifically painfully, I might add).

So they are a drain our our socialized health care system.

tl/dr: they may have fewer years of health care expenses, but the total bill is much higher than a non-smoker.

I don't doubt any of this. I was sort of making a (probably tasteless) joke.

Dave

And you know what terrifies me almost more than the ratio that gets you to be "overweight" per the calculator, is how low you can get before you're considered "underweight."  

Yeah it's a terrible measure of health. On the flip side I'm currently at 19.61. If I stopped eating all the crap that I do I feel like I could easily drift into the "underweight" category and still be normal looking and healthy.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have a hand held body fat thingie. It was a waste of money. While it does have settings for age, sex, athlete and height, I can make my body fat % drop several points saying I'm 10 years younger. They used the same one at a work screening one year & I asked them about the accuracy given what I've done with mine. I got no response.

I was honestly surprised with the Racing Weight book. While definitely less than my current weight, the number I got as ideal wasn't one that would require female athlete triad or selective limb removal.

LRB

I had my body fat measured in some sort of hyperbaric chamber (or whatever the hell it was) back in January during my VO2 Max test. It was so damn high that I've completely purged it from my memory bank and hard drive. 👎 👎

DavePNW

PM to onemile: suggested workout next week for a 5k on Sunday?

MTA: keep in mind I'm fat, so easy on the intensity level please.

Dave

oldfartrunner

OTOH, they die sooner, so have fewer years of health care expenses.

onemile

PM to onemile: suggested workout next week for a 5k on Sunday?

MTA: keep in mind I'm fat, so easy on the intensity level please.

1 mile hard at 5k pace

4 minutes rest

10x400m with 90sec jog (5k pace)

Oh wait, because you're fat you just ran a marathon I will give you something easier.

8x2 min quick, 2 min easy

Mta the former is my typical prerace workout , the latter is something Addie has given me as a return to workouts workout

oldfartrunner

I don't doubt any of this. I was sort of making a (probably tasteless) joke.

I thought it was pretty funny.

RunningWithMyDog

I have a hand held body fat thingie. It was a waste of money. While it does have settings for age, sex, athlete and height, I can make my body fat % drop several points saying I'm 10 years younger. They used the same one at a work screening one year & I asked them about the accuracy given what I've done with mine. I got no response.

I was honestly surprised with the Racing Weight book. While definitely less than my current weight, the number I got as ideal wasn't one that would require female athlete triad or selective limb removal.

I made the mistake of buying the Garmin scale (I had a gift certificate - should have bought a winter running jacket....sigh).  Among other useless metrics, it gives me my body fat %.

I've been at exactly 7 per cent body fat for the past 6 months or so.

Don't get me wrong, I am a magnificent sexy beast.  I am a DILF.

But 7 per cent body fat?

Ummmmmmm......no.

DavePNW

1 mile hard at 5k pace

4 minutes rest

10x400m with 90sec jog (5k pace)

Oh wait, because you're fat you just ran a marathon I will give you something easier.

8x2 min quick, 2 min easy

Mta the former is my typical prerace workout , the latter is something Addie has given me as a return to workouts workout

Ha, thanks, I'm going with option 2. What kind of pace does "quick" usually work out to?

Dave

oldfartrunner

I had my body fat measured in some sort of hyperbaric chamber (or whatever the hell it was) back in January during my VO2 Max test. It was so damn high that I've completely purged it from my memory bank and hard drive. 👎 👎

Was it = to your V02 Max, or V02 Min?  I always heard you want to minimize your maximize, and maximize your minimize.

oldfartrunner

I made the mistake of buying the Garmin scale (I had a gift certificate - should have bought a winter running jacket....sigh).  Among other useless metrics, it gives me my body fat %.

I've been at exactly 7 per cent body fat for the past 6 months or so.

Don't get me wrong, I am a magnificent sexy beast.  I am a DILF.

But 7 per cent body fat?

Ummmmmmm......no.

Does it change when you take off the prescribed Garmin rose colored glasses that they recommend you wear with each reading?

onemile

Ha, thanks, I'm going with option 2. What kind of pace does "quick" usually work out to?

There's a reason there's no pace specified. The point is just to get your legs going faster without stressing about hitting a pace