Beginners and Beyond

Walking harder than running? (Read 84 times)

Nevrgivup

So I went for close to a 3 mile walk on my regular running route yesterday which is pretty hilly and I am sore today. Walking is definitely harder than running. IMO. What do you guys think?

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

DavePNW

So I went for close to a 3 mile walk on my regular running route yesterday which is pretty hilly and I am sore today. Walking is definitely harder than running. IMO. What do you guys think?

No, I'm pretty sure it's not. But it probably uses different muscles and you are not used to it.

Dave

Nevrgivup

No, I'm pretty sure it's not. But it probably uses different muscles and you are not used to it.

How is running and walking different in the use of muscle groups though? The stride? I don't know, I'd rather run 10 miles than walk 10 miles. Just my experience.

hugsy

When I try to walk "fast", the HR is high (though still lower than) my easy jogging pace. The pace difference is about 3-4 minutes/mile. So joggng is still "harder". Walking does stress my tibialis muscles more than running.
          Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Yup stride.

Walking, you kick your foot in front of your hips and 'roll onto' the front foot.

Running (you should) land with your foot under or behind your hips ending up with your hips already over or ahead of the landing zone.

I find the same thing, a long walk will make me far more sore than a run of 2x the distance.

Hip Redux

I can easily go out and walk 7 miles around a city on vacation without any training, and then get up and walk around again the next day.  I really doubt I'd be able to get off the couch and run 7 miles without it turning into a walk by the end.

The stride is different and walking really bothers me knees way more than running does.  But that doesn't make it easier.

Just B.S.

I would say not.

In Feb 2012 I had  surgery and could not run for 6 weeks. It was much easier physically but

perhaps mentally tougher because it took so long to cover an equivalent distance and all I

really wanted to be doing was running.

In retrospect I could have made it more interesting by walking routes different than

my normal running routes.

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

Nah, running is way harder...

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I have a friend that wants to get the benefit of running without actually running. (long story)  Currently she walks 6 miles a day @ a 14 min mile.

Which is entirely uncomfortable and quickly difficult for me to do.  However, her 'running' attempt was at a 15-16 min mile...  Which I just don't Fing get.

Ric-G

no...for the reasons already mentioned.

marathon pr - 3:16

bluerun

Super B****

That depends on your definition of "hard."  Physiologically, running is probably harder on your body.  However, I will say that my lower back tends to bother me from walking in ways that it doesn't from running, probably because I walk with a much longer stride than I run.

I'd rather run ten miles than walk ten miles, but that's because A. it will get done faster and B. it will be less boring for me mentally.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Nevrgivup

That depends on your definition of "hard."  Physiologically, running is probably harder on your body.  However, I will say that my lower back tends to bother me from walking in ways that it doesn't from running, probably because I walk with a much longer stride than I run.

I'd rather run ten miles than walk ten miles, but that's because A. it will get done faster and B. it will be less boring for me mentally.

^This, but when you can't run, you walk. I blame the hills.  My shins and calves are where I feel it most.

Will run for scenery.

It depends.  A leisurely stroll is easier than a tempo run.

And it is much easier and safer to take up walking (which all of us do on a daily basis) than running (which non-runners, by definition, do not do).

But if you haven't done serious amounts of walking recently there are adaptations your body needs to make.  One of the biggest ones is your shin muscles (is that the tibialis ?).  As you increase your walking pace, one thing that limits your speed is how fast you can  swing your foot way out in front of you with your knee straight; something you don't do while running.  If you build up your speed too quickly, you will definitely feel it !

Keep in mind that speedwalking/racewalking/whatever is a sport/whatever, and that it is judged.  If at any point you take a single stride of running, or even appear to take a single stride of running, you will be disqualified.  Running is an unfair advantage and it is cheating.

So, at pretty much any pace where you are getting some aerobic benefit, yeah walking is harder.

When I was unable to run (calf issues) but did a lot of fast walking (15:00 pace) I still would let myself do a few running steps to go through a crosswalk or maneuver past a runner (yeah...), and those few running steps were always a welcome rest.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Walking can be very hard, especially if you race walk or even power walk fast. You're putting a lot more strain on your muscles than regular walking and using them in a different way than running (different stride and form). I found it very hard, almost impossible, to get my HR as high as when I run, but subjectively it seemed that walking 14 minute miles was a lot harder and required more effort than running 12 minute miles or even 11 minute miles for shorter distances like 4-6 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Nevrgivup

I have a friend that wants to get the benefit of running without actually running. (long story)  Currently she walks 6 miles a day @ a 14 min mile.

Which is entirely uncomfortable and quickly difficult for me to do.  However, her 'running' attempt was at a 15-16 min mile...  Which I just don't Fing get.

I am walking at a 15 minute mile currently. Maybe that is why I'm sore?