Beginners and Beyond

Deep tissue massage (Read 75 times)

Nevrgivup

So as most of you know, I've been on the IRL since my deep tissue massage. I am scarred for life and will probably never have one again. I am so fearful of massage now. Any runners out there that avoid getting massages and have they ever made things worse for you?

I'm better off sticking to my own thing as in foam rolling and gentle stretching.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't like deep tissue massages either.  I end up being either too sore to run for a few days or one time they even hurt my lower back and I had to go to the chiro to get it fixed.  I only do Swedish massages now, which are a bit lighter and never leave me sore (yet, they are still effective).

I still get a massage at least once a month but never a deep tissue.  Next time, try the Swedish before you quit massages for good.

Damaris

Nevrgivup

I don't like deep tissue massages either.  I end up being either too sore to run for a few days or one time they even hurt my lower back and I had to go to the chiro to get it fixed.  I only do Swedish massages now, which are a bit lighter and never leave me sore (yet, they are still effective).

I still get a massage at least once a month but never a deep tissue.  Next time, try the Swedish before you quit massages for good.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be looking for a new therapist. How do I nicely tell her I'm not going back? 

LRB

I get a sports massage which has deep tissue elements to it, and the shit hurts like hell at different points during it but I have never been worse off for it. On the contrary, the next day I usually feel like a million bucks.

I personally would not swear off all massages because they go hand in hand with strengthening and stretching, but obviously you may indeed do just that if you feel you do not want to risk it.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Sorry you had a bad experienceSad

I get deep tissue once a month and it really helps me! It makes me a little nervous to hear stuff like this though.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

I get a deep tissue massage about every three weeks.  Never had any issues.  I would blame the therapist before the type of massage.

Mmmmm...beer

After my 50k last week, I was talking with the guy who was 3rd in my age group, he was telling me that massages are like oil changes, they're preventative maintenance for runners.  He said he gets a massage at least once a month and has never been injured.  I've been thinking seriously about getting one, I feel good after the 50k, but could definitely loosen up a bit.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Nevrgivup

I get a deep tissue massage about every three weeks.  Never had any issues.  I would blame the therapist before the type of massage.

I think I'll stick with the gentler types of massages and will be doing so next time with another therapist. Problem is, I don't know how to tell her I won't be coming back. I've been seeing her for years.

bluerun

Super B****

I'm sorry you had a bad experience!  The place where I go now, they have a buy-one-get-one-free special for new customers… and the first time I went there, I felt fine going in but my back was NOT happy when I left.  I guess I forgot to mention that I have a rather delicate lower back.  I made sure to go to a different therapist the next time, and I LOVED her, have been seeing her ever since.  Mostly because I'm afraid to trust anyone else now!

It could be that what happened to you was just a fluke?  Though I can definitely understand being wary of going back to the same therapist after that, I don't know if you can really say it WAS solely because of the massage.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think I'll stick with the gentler types of massages and will be doing so next time with another therapist. Problem is, I don't know how to tell her I won't be coming back. I've been seeing her for years.

I would just change massage places.  That's what I did.

And it depends on the massagist.  Some do too deep tissue.  Always tell them what you want before you get the service.  If she does not do what you want, change or tell her the next time.  Good luck!

Damaris

RSX

A friend got hurt after a deep tissue massage a few months ago. She has gone to this woman a bunch of times, but I think she caught her on a bad day injury wise. I have gone to this person a few times myself, and thought that she was great.

My wife and I checked out a new place in town yesterday. She asked for a relaxation one, but has had neck pain all day still. I think that some masseuses can be hit or miss, but in the latter case that woman owns the office.

I've only had 2 massages in my life.  But a deep tissue massage sounds like it could defintely hurt.  In your case, I'm guessing it did.  Hope you get back out there soon.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

happylily

You people have too much money to burn.

I have a massage every two years, approximately. Usually not before a race and not right after a race. It's usually when I'm in between training cycles. Never had any problems with any of the ones I've received. I would think that there has to be an already existing problem with you, which you are not aware of, and the massage makes it worse and awakens the pain.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nevrgivup

You people have too much money to burn.

I have a massage every two years, approximately. Usually not before a race and not right after a race. It's usually when I'm in between training cycles. Never had any problems with any of the ones I've received. I would think that there has to be an already existing problem with you, which you are not aware of, and the massage makes it worse and awakens the pain.

Well now I'm spending my money on physical therapy and soon acupuncture. Lovely.

Most definitely had a tight butt muscle going in and it seemed to have aggravated it. The piriformis stretches have been helping a lot.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Note to self........NO DEEP TISSUE MASSAGES!! 

I even asked for a massage gift/gift certificate for Christmas & didn't get one.  Now, I don't know if I want one. 

I actually enjoy my wife massaging my shoulders & middle back during the week after a long day at work.  That's what got me thinking of a massage in the first place, though when I got my wife a gift cert at 'Massage Envy' a couple years ago, I do recall she came back quite sore too.

I dunno.  Maybe I'd have to ask for a "gentle" massage.  Easy does it!  Or just keep on with the wife's free massages. LOL

Randy