Beginners and Beyond

I can't understand why I am not losing weight (Read 510 times)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Got on scale and weighed 2 lbs less this morning. Post-meal treat last night was birthday cake, apple pie, and fudge. Clearly, I have the opposite problem. Today I considered putting fudge on my prime rib sandwich, but I'm not quite that brave.

You look like you need to gain a few pounds.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

LRB

I hate you, but how much are you currently running? After you tell me, I might hate you even more.

I have been running for two years, and have lost exactly zero pounds....okay maybe one or two but still.  I plan on losing seven lbs before my next marathon (next October) and to be honest with you, I don't know how in the hell I am going to do it!

Walk-Jogger

pshhhaw Squirrel has no fat.

Clearly the answer is to eat more 3 Musketeer bars, they float in air.

That's why you bread it and deep-fat fry it, silly. Duh.....

Retired &  Loving It

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

That's why you bread it and deep-fat fry it, silly. Duh.....

And biscuits and gravy, don't forget the gravy.  Yum!

He is in West Virginia after all.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Got on scale and weighed 2 lbs less this morning. Post-meal treat last night was birthday cake, apple pie, and fudge. Clearly, I have the opposite problem. Today I considered putting fudge on my prime rib sandwich, but I'm not quite that brave.

I was going to tell you to bite me, but you'd probably lose weight doing that too. Joking

LRB

He is in West Virginia after all.

So is my brother, and anything with a pulse is fair game (pun intended).  It's best to just eat and not ask what it is, because you really don't want to know!

LRB

I was going to tell you to bite me, but you'd probably lose weight doing that too. Joking

OMG - LMAO!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I could try the atkins - road kill diet.

Sloooow.

Things actually said to me by my sister-in-law:

I've never weighed as much as I do now.  I really want to lose weight

I hate artificial sweetener.  I have to have 5 sugars in my coffee.

I can't drink any kind of milk but whole.

I hate wheat pasta.  It has to be white.

White bread tastes better.

Brown rice is gross.

I can only use real butter.

I can't use light/low fat anything.  Makes me sick to my stomach.

Salad isn't salad without a ton of ranch dressing.

Coke is what gets me through the day.

Crisco is better for frying because oil gets absorbed into the food.

I actually found myself agreeing with a few of these, lol. No artificial sweeteners (or artificial anything) in this house. We use real butter rather than whipped plastic, I buy Kerrygold butter which is from pasture raised cows. We use whole organic milk. We also don't buy low fat/light versions of products, as they are usually doctored up with artificial sweeteners or other products. Then you practice moderation. I'd rather drink one Mexican Cola a week, than a diet soda every day.

kitteh

Brown rice is gross.

I totally agree with the bolded bits. I'm all about using full-fat products, but I find that I use a lot less of them than their fat-free or reduced-fat counterparts. I actually buy 2% milk. But sour cream definitely has to be full fat!

Random observation--after my long runs I notice that I weight 1-3 lbs more for a day or two, and then it goes back to normal. I guess muscle swelling or water retention is the cause?

Anyhow, whatever you do, Tom, don't get knocked up. I've been progressively running more and more every week for the past 15 weeks, and I've still gained 3-4 lbs. Damn baby. :P

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

Go Paleo.  PM RJR.  He can tell you all the tips and tricks.  Squirrel, I'm sure, is approved.  Just not the biscuits.

Counting down to LtHs contribution.  "Just eat less."  Diet for Dummies.  Wink

CrisRuns

Brown rice is gross.

Should we be serious for a second?

Artificial sweeteners have been linked to weight gain. I have trained myself to like my coffee either black or with a bit of milk and to only drink a diet drink as a rare treat.

If you cannot go through your day without Coke, I hope it's temporary and I hope you can consider sleeping more.

Wheat bread can taste great, you need to try and find a brand you like.

Brown rice, appropriately prepared is yummy.

Olive oil is your friend. It is actually delicious also in some cakes and cookies, not only for salty foods.
                          Low fat can be a good or bad idea. What matters is how much fat and calories one eats.

Crisco, I am not even going there.

MrNamtor

just stop eating like King Henry VIII you fat bastard.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

How can diet soda cause weight gain. I have seen those studies and do not understand them.

Regular soda has about 200 calories a can vs o for diet.

I only drink 2-3 cans a day.

I am sure there are some negative effects of drinking them but I don't understand the weight gain part.

Jess runs for bacon

I think I'm pretty lucky in the things I like/ don't like. I don't like sugar in my coffee at all. Never have. I used to drink a lot of soda, but in college I cut it out cold turkey and will very rarely drink it. I've always preferred skim milk over whole (but I can't drink any milk straight). I won't touch artificial sweeteners with a 10 foot pole, but in general I don't like sweeteners anyway. Except for honey in my tea (and I buy the local stuff).

I found once I started cutting crap out of my diet it was easier to say no to those things. They just didn't taste good anymore.

The one thing I can't get sick of: pepperoni pizza. I could eat that forever. Nom nom nom.