Beginners and Beyond

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! Sundailies! (Read 33 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

lol

You will figure it out sooner rather than later.  You have worked too fuckin hard and come so far not to.

Just my 2 but there is no way in hell I would do a GMP at the end of a long ass run, no frickin way.  I will and do however (as I did today), run the last mile of my long run slightly faster as a way of stretching muscle fibers and to loosen things up.

This is only 5 to 10 seconds faster though, not over a minute.  Run your GMP miles during your MP workout, that is when you are physically fresh and mentally locked and loaded.  And even then it is not easy!  lol

The long run serves a different purpose but then again, I have am no expert at this shit so feel free to dismiss everything I have said.  lol

My coach has plenty of GMP miles at the end of a LR. It really makes you fly at the end of the race when you are tired. Because you have done it before.

We just saw The November Man. Pretty good.

Damaris

LRB

I did some 5/10/5 last year as part of hansons 80 mpw and some 17 or 18 w/ last 14 @ mp in the past as part of Pfitz. I don't think it's a bad thing to do it fatigued and part of a LR, since the marathon itself is one long ass MP run.

Absolutely, and that is standard fare.  You did not run 18 miles easy first though.  And I am not saying it is a bad thing to do so, just that you have to put it in its proper perspective when you do run 18 miles first; they are 2 miles at GMP coming at the end of a 2 and half hour long run, that oh by the way was run faster than what is generally prescribed.

Struggling to hit them thus is not indicative of your fitness or a predictor of your performance in your upcoming event as was his concern in his post.  Or, maybe it is. 

LRB

My coach has plenty of GMP miles at the end of a LR.

At the end of a long run that is already run near MP?

"They do specify LR's at a pace faster than easy, at MP+10%"

And again, not that that is a bad thing if you do.  But doing them every weekend cannot be a walk in the park, or is it?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

At the end of a long run that is already run near MP?

"They do specify LR's at a pace faster than easy, at MP+10%"

And again, not that that is a bad thing if you do.  But doing them every weekend cannot be a walk in the park, or is it?

i have at least one LR that is some easy, some MP + 10% and the end at GMP or even faster.

MP + 10% is the fastest range of easy, close to 1mm from MP. Not really THAT fast.  Unless you are talking about MP MINUS 10%.  if you refer to Hanson, the pace is MP plus 10 seconds not 10%.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

For example, if my MP is 10mm, MP + 10% is 11mm, well in my easy pace range.

Damaris

DavePNW

Absolutely, and that is standard fare.  You did not run 18 miles easy first though.  And I am not saying it is a bad thing to do so, just that you have to put it in its proper perspective when you do run 18 miles first; they are 2 miles at GMP coming at the end of a 2 and half hour long run, that oh by the way was run faster than what is generally prescribed.

Struggling to hit them thus is not indicative of your fitness or a predictor of your performance in your upcoming event as was his concern in his post.  Or, maybe it is. 

Yes that was my concern.

Dave

B-Plus

Very true. I had to go back and check, but I did at least one 20 with the last 4 @ MP.

The comment in my log is very consistent with what you have been saying:

last 4 @ MP

Seems a bit tougher than 5-10-5, especially after running 16 miles at a moderate clip

LRB

I had to go back and check...

You could have just asked me; I have your Chicago training cycle memorized.  lol

LRB

I am off to Olive Garden for dinner (I know, woe is me), be back later!

DavePNW

I am off to Olive Garden for dinner (I know, woe is me), be back later!

Do not get the trout they have on the special seasonal menu; it is awful. Maybe you are smarter than me and would know better than to even think about ordering trout at an Olive Garden, but better safe than sorry.

Dave

Albuterol and I did 3.0 fairly comfortable miles in the company of 83F and a 70F dewpoint.

I have to start taking allergy medication again. FML.

Cyberic

Both my kids have head lice

B-Plus

You could have just asked me; I have your Chicago training cycle memorized.  lol

Tru dat. Enjoy Olive Garden! The only one we have is in the boonies, and you know I eat shit up on the rare occasion I get out there. Actually, I don't even need the pasta. I could get by on the soup, salad, and bread deal!

LRB

Both my kids have head lice

Must be back to school time!

Hi B!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

A Clydesdale is generally considered to be any runner weighing 200 lb or more.

That doesn't always mean fat, some people think it means being fat.... which is sad because a Clydesdale is a beautiful animal.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)