Beginners and Beyond

Super Sunday Penguins - Time To Get Your Game On! (Read 39 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Random question... how long were you guys runners before doing your first half?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Busy day already. This am I got a late start, I had a little crud going on so I took some DayQuil and went back to bed. I then got in 8.25 miles before church then had to go to the store to make stuff for later. I have to make some rice, beans, and cheese dip to take to a friend's house.

The run was good except for me busting my ass when I caught my foot on something. One advantage of running in the country is when you look like a fool there isn't anybody but some donkeys to see what happens Smile. No injuries just some grass and an oh s#!+.

Make today great.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

I started couch to 5k in April and ran a half in October.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Ginny - You're right.  My face cover froze.  My hat froze.  My gloves froze.  I made it 8 miles, and my shoes are soaked.  I managed to maintain a 10:45 pace though.  That's not a fast pace for me, but when you're trudging through deep snow I'll take it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Kristin- It will be just over 14 months for me between starting to run and my first HM.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

T Rod glad you're ok! awood that's crazy! good for you for getting out there.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

hog4life

It was a little over a year for me, and I was not properly trained, but did it anyways. I ended up walking some starting around mile 10. I think I only had one 10 mile run in training. I didn't know that much about training plans, keeping up with miles, paces, shoes, etc. the second one was done 6 months later.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I think I was running for about 6 months or so.  I'm not sure.  Then again, I've been in so many sports over the years that I've done a lot of running throughout the years.  I didn't run a lot in powerlifting though.  I did for wrestling in college, but that was 13 years ago.  It's complicated.  :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

On Sunday, February 3, 2013, I participated in the Super Bowl Sunday 7K in San Antonio.  Course was along the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Below is the link to my report and photos on this event.  Please feel free to share the report and photos.

http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners#plckforumpage=ForumDiscussion&plckdiscussionid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477Discussion%3A3e2a90a8-58f5-4983-aa15-e54cd7dc9e43

The report is also on this forum too. For some reason, this time when I cut-and-pasted, the full report and photos was allowed to be copied onto this forum, go figure.  So you can see (I think) the  report and photos on this forum too, without using the above link.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Went to the "upscale" track today, but that was a bad move.  Very crowded with walkers and quite a few runners.  Guess they all want to burn some calories before the Superbowl parties.  Was planning 6 miles, but tired out after 4.  No major accidents, but problem is, with so many people, there is always a lot of traffic at the entrance.  Kids basketball made it pretty noisy too.

Kristin, I must be a slow learner.  It will be 23 running years before my first half in April.  18 months for DW.

aw and Tomas, be careful.  I think its safer running over a senior on the track.

Philliefan33

Kristin, assuming I run my first HM ant the end of April as planned, it will be 16 months from the time I started C25K.   I won't set any speed records, but I'm feeling confident that I will be ready to run the whole thing. Well, jog anyway.

I did 5 miles this morning. Like Jerry, we have a party for two tonight. Bean soup is on the menu.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm asking about the HM because when I posted my training plan for a 10 mile race I'm running in June as a way to build mileage to start training for my first half (race is in October, I will begin training in July right around my one year runnerversary) a very experienced runner who I respect has concerns that I will not be able toget my mileage up enough to support the training over the next 20 weeks between now and the 10 miler in June, and that I shouldn't run the half in October. It seems that manyothers have trained for a half on less than a year running experience though, and I will have 11 months under my belt when I start a plan in July. I already paid for both the 10 miler and half. They are through the same organization and I was able to register for them as a package on the first day of registration to save money. Now I'm worried I have gotten myself into something I shouldn't have.

GinnyinPA

Kirstin - if I hadn't gotten injured, it would have been 7 months from couch to my HM.  I had run a couple of 12s and actually ran the course for my half before I got hurt.  I felt ready, though of course, I had no clue about pacing during a race, when adrenaline is up.  I know a lot of the really experienced runners are very conservative about new runners doing the longer races.  I understand, because so many new runners do get hurt or burned out and give up running, and a lot of new runners have really unrealistic expectations about what it is like to run a HM or a marathon.  Kinda like thruhiking the Appalachian Trail - it sounds cool, but it is a lot harder than you'd think to go out and do it every day.  Also, for people who are serious about racing, the idea of just running to finish, without concern about how well you do, is a little alien.

Tomas - another person catching a foot?! Is it contagious?  Glad you weren't hurt and hope you don't get sick.  Hot rum is a good cure!

Awood- good for you for doing it despite the cold and snow.  That's great time in the snow.

AFM: I wimped out and did 6.5 on the TM.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My goal will certainly be just to finish!

Kirstin - if I hadn't gotten injured, it would have been 7 months from couch to my HM.  I had run a couple of 12s and actually ran the course for my half before I got hurt.  I felt ready, though of course, I had no clue about pacing during a race, when adrenaline is up.  I know a lot of the really experienced runners are very conservative about new runners doing the longer races.  I understand, because so many new runners do get hurt or burned out and give up running, and a lot of new runners have really unrealistic expectations about what it is like to run a HM or a marathon.  Kinda like thruhiking the Appalachian Trail - it sounds cool, but it is a lot harder than you'd think to go out and do it every day.  Also, for people who are serious about racing, the idea of just running to finish, without concern about how well you do, is a little alien.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Although what you were told is true (a better base of more miles AND more months of running), you can finish the HM by October.  Having said that, you need to be careful with how your body feels and not push it if the increase in miles does not go well.  Also, don't expect to hit a specific goal time (a dream goal) as your low base will probably affect what you will be capable of that day.  Other than that, DO IT!

I'm asking about the HM because when I posted my training plan for a 10 mile race I'm running in June as a way to build mileage to start training for my first half (race is in October, I will begin training in July right around my one year runnerversary) a very experienced runner who I respect has concerns that I will not be able toget my mileage up enough to support the training over the next 20 weeks between now and the 10 miler in June, and that I shouldn't run the half in October. It seems that manyothers have trained for a half on less than a year running experience though, and I will have 11 months under my belt when I start a plan in July. I already paid for both the 10 miler and half. They are through the same organization and I was able to register for them as a package on the first day of registration to save money. Now I'm worried I have gotten myself into something I shouldn't have.

Damaris