Beginners and Beyond

To all you runners in the darkness (Read 154 times)

DavePNW

Well it's starting to get not so light out for my morning runs, at which point I would normally switch to another time of day. But thinking about sticking with mornings. For those of you regular pre-dawn or late-night runners, what do you use for visibility? Lighted vest, headlight, knuckle lights, some combination? Any other advice for running in the dark?

Thanks.

Dave

hog4life

I use a reflective vest and a blinking light. I've heard great things on the knuckle lights, but don't use them.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I wear reflective arm bands that have red LED lights in them and wear white or bright colors. It doesn't get super dark where I live (Brooklyn), there are so many street lights and such, so that's usually enough for me.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I don't run with a lighted vest, just a reflective vest. I did race overnight a month ago, and I really like the knuckle lights I used. I ran with them off mostly, unless I encountered a vehicle. I do own a headlamp, but I've never actually ran with it. I live in town, so the street lighting helps.

- Andrew

Gator eye

I live out in the sticks and most mornings I only turn on a light when I meet traffic. Once you get use to it you will be surprised how easy it is to see in the dark. Once in awhile you will have a overcast morning where you can't see squat, I use a headlamp in the winter and knuckle lights in the summer for these mornings.

Hip Redux

I live out in the sticks and most mornings I only turn on a light when I meet traffic. Once you get use to it you will be surprised how easy it is to see in the dark. Once in awhile you will have a overcast morning where you can't see squat, I use a headlamp in the winter and knuckle lights in the summer for these mornings.

Right, there are two different kinds of lights -  what you use to be seen, and what you use to see.   Like,  a reflective vest will work for one but not the other.   Knuckle lights work for both, etc.  Depends on what you really want to accomplish.

#artbydmcbride

I have a couple of these

http://www.relaxreflect.com/

Runners run

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I use nothing to help me see, just be seen

Right, there are two different kinds of lights -  what you use to be seen, and what you use to see.   Like,  a reflective vest will work for one but not the other.   Knuckle lights work for both, etc.  Depends on what you really want to accomplish.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Pinktastic

I have 2 RoadID lights that I attach to myself.   I wear a white one in front and a blue one somewhere on my back (waistband usually).    I don't need them to see so much as I want to be sure that the paper lady sees me and doesn't run me over.    She says that they can be seen for quite a ways (not miles and miles, but more than sufficient to get someone's attention).  And, she likes the blue one because it's not a normal color for a moving light and it makes her pay more attention.   YMMV.

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Hip Redux

Think also about your visibility from the side, if you do a lot of crossing roads, driveways etc.  Things that require headlights to hit you from the front or back to illuminate may not make you as visible from the side.

I set my husband up with quite the light show when he was commuting home at dusk on his bike, you couldn't miss him. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I use one knuckle light.  I really do not want people to know I am out there (for crime reasons), so I try to be as inconspicuous as I can.  I wear some reflective clothes but not a reflective vest.  I do run in a big city so it's pretty well lighted throughout.

Damaris

LRB

This is a very timely thread Dave, you must have seen what I saw this morning around 6:00 am when I looked outside; which was basically nothing!

The thought of having more crap to carry is a complete deal breaker.  I have spent three years shedding things to carry or worry about while running, to the point where I now get dressed and head out the door sans anything but my Garmin.  The last thing I want is to have to add any singular thing to my routine.

I would be fine with just a florescent colored yellow or green top, and the reflective features on my shoes and shorts if I can get away with it.  I did run this past spring in the morning darkness for up to 20 minutes without a problem so there is that.

We will see I guess...

Good stuff.

meaghansketch

I use a headlamp when I go running at night (not very often).  It is useful to be able to see cracks in the sidewalk, pot holes, or large sticks on the road that I might otherwise trip over.  When I go running in the morning it's usually not dark for more than the first 20-30 minutes and so I don't worry about it.  There's usually enough light from streetlamps, etc. for cars to see me, I'm more worried about seeing what's in front of me.  I do wear light-colored clothes (at least my shirt) when I go out when it's dark to be more visible.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Used a blinky light last night on my waist.  But the big issue when street lights are not around is the loss of depth perception. It sucks to stomp hard expecting a low spot but being incorrect or jarring the F out of yourself when you step in a low spot you were not expecting.

I am quite observant of my habitat so I have not that much worry about someone running over me.

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

If it's warmer I wear eye-searing neon colors, reflective armbands, and a hat with lights. Once it gets dark early and the weather gets a bit cooler I'll be wearing my Nike Vapor Flash jacket. (love that thing!)

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~