Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Run For Life - Not From It! (Read 32 times)

PADRunner

Morning all. $ easy yesterday and 19x499 intervals this morning. Keeping busy.

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone, feeling a bit beat up today. Tried to go out for a run lastnight and didn't make it half way down my street before my ITB started hurting. It was hurting a bit more than I was comfortable running with. SO FRUSTRATED!!!

I woke up this morning and did a quick 25 minute workout followed by stretching and messaging the IT band. Will attempt a few miles again tonight.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My knee is bugging me. It started last night.... I don't know if I tweaked it or....what. But taking a URD just in case.

I may try to go to the gym later and see how it does on the elliptical if it feels better. Really REALLY hoping it's nothing!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hey everyone, feeling a bit beat up today. Tried to go out for a run lastnight and didn't make it half way down my street before my ITB started hurting. It was hurting a bit more than I was comfortable running with. SO FRUSTRATED!!!

I woke up this morning and did a quick 25 minute workout followed by stretching and messaging the IT band. Will attempt a few miles again tonight.

Maybe you should rest instead. If your ITB is hurting before you get down the street may be time to take some time off to let the inflammation go down.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Jimmy, you need to find the cause of the ITB.  ITB is not an injury per se, it's a response to another issue.  You might have some imbalances on issues in the piriformis, psoas, etc., and until you address those, the ITB will continue to flare.  Hope you find an answer.  And yes, REST.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Gus: Have fun on those hills. They are a pain, but they pay off down the road.

Awood: When is the marathon? Start hydrating NOW!

Bin: Don't worry about the pace. You are getting in the miles and that is what counts. Get rid of your cough and then worry about pace.

Mickey: What race?

PF: You could just go out for a real easy 2 miles.

Scotty: Ahhh... 80 degrees... Nice and cool!  Have fun on your explore and don't forget your sweater!

kjtd: I would do a few miles today with a few strides. Tomorrow I think you should do two miles SUPER easy.

Traci: Nice!!

Hog: Post a few of the pictures, if you can. Enjoy the rest.

Zel: How long are the social runs? Sounds fun. Smile

Lew: You did time in Muncie and Bloomington? What did you do? How did they catch you?

HsM: Besides "Monster Mash" what Halloween music is there?

PAD: That is a lot of intervals. When are you coming out west?

JBJ: You may want to rest. I would also get a massage from one of those sports guys.

Kristin: It's likely nothing. Can you run through it?

Docket: Hiya! Enjoy the miles tonight.

As for me, SRD. I was beat up pretty badly this week by my hard intervals on Tuesday and 12 miles last night. SRD today and then 5 easy tomorrow.  We'll see about Saturday and then a 10k on Sunday.

TTFN.

Dad on the run.

Rest, rest, rest... I had enough rest when I took 6 weeks off from a calf issue, just to start back up and deal with this shit. I'm sorry to rant, I really am. But I feel so utterly defeated right now. *sigh*

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Pens...

HsM: Besides "Monster Mash" what Halloween music is there?

TTFN.

You'd be surprised.  We have a barbershop arrangement of The Addams Family, and also a song called "Tiptoe Through the Tombstones".  We'll also do some regular repertoire stuff.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

HsM: lol. That sounds cool.

JBJ: just try a massage. Docket is right; the pain is being caused by something else.

Hmm. Jack, what does it mean exactly to do a few strides?  Thanks for the advice!

Dad on the run.

Well, I do sit 9 hours a day, but I did the same thing when I first started running and I didn't have issues then. Plus now I actually strength train which I didn't do when I first started running.

Quick question, if the psoas is sore or hurting could it feel like lower abdomal soreness?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Singer who runs a smidge

jblack, there's a book out called Anatomy for Runners, by Jay Dicharry.  Jay runs the running clinic up at UVA -- basically he hooks runners up to all kinds of sensors and figures out what's wrong with them, then how to go about fixing it.  It's a fascinating book and gave me a lot of insight into my knee issues -- basically I switched from glute-driven running to quad-driven running because I thought I was supposed to (read something somewhere, and either it was bad advice or I misinterpreted).  Now I'm just in the perfect storm of having continuing inflammation, having gained weight and lost quad strength because I "rested" for a freakin' year, etc.  I haven't dug myself out of my hole yet, but at least I know where the hole came from!!

Anyway, it's a fascinating read, helpful, cheap on a Kindle, and he really advises against "resting" through an injury.

Linky

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hmm. Jack, what does it mean exactly to do a few strides?  Thanks for the advice!

For Friday's run, warm up for a mile or so. Strides: When you are ready, slowly accelerate to about 85-90% or so of a full sprint, hold it for a bit, and slowly deaccelerate. The whole "stride" can be about 100 yards or so. So if you are on a track, start accelerating on the goal line of the field, hit your "stride" around the 30 yard line, hold it for 40 yards or so, and slow down to goal line. Jog slowly for a minute or two to recover and do it again. Three or four of those should feel good. On Friday, I will be doing some as well. It will get a bit of speed in your legs and help you feel ready.  I hope that makes sense. If not, try youtube.  Good luck in your race.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well, I do sit 9 hours a day, but I did the same thing when I first started running and I didn't have issues then. Plus now I actually strength train which I didn't do when I first started running.

Quick question, if the psoas is sore or hurting could it feel like lower abdomal soreness?

The psoas connects from the hip flexor all the way down to the quads so yes.  It can also be the top quad, groin, or the adductors that are sore but yes, I am still hurting in that lower ab area from Chicago and my ruptured ovarian cyst. I am sure yours is not a cyst unless you have not told us you're a woman, so I will assume that is not an issue. Joking

Damaris

Dad on the run.

Hope - Thanks for the recommendation, I will most deffinitely look into that book.

Docket - the soreness starts right at the front inside of each hip and runs out and down towards my groin. No i'm pretty confident I'm not a girl Smile

Thanks everyone for listening to my moaning and groaning. I tried to complain to my wife but she feels bad and tries to pet me. I told her lastnight I didn't want to be petted I just wanted to be left alone to sulk, lol. She petted me anyways...

Chasing the sub 20 5K.