Beginners and Beyond

Treadmill runs: how do you cope? (Read 74 times)

Zelanie

This was actually something I was thinking about while on the TM today, and then LRB's LR poll reminded me of it.  I think I prefer the treadmill if the alternative is running short loops somewhere outside, because at least I can use all the numbers on the screen to invent little mind games and milestones to watch for.

So, what games do you play on the TM?

- Take HR and/or drink water at set distance intervals.

- Break the run up into 15-minute segments.  For example, the first goal is just to get to 15 minutes, then 30, etc.  Since most TMs shut off after an hour, the most I have to count to is 4 before I restart and start counting again.  On bad days, I break each 15-minute segment into three 5-minute segments.

- "Race" distance milestones vs. time milestones- which one will come first?

- If the screen shows a track, count how many laps I've done or have to go.

- Likewise, visualize where I would be on my home track or on my usual running routes if I was outside.

- Focus on a spot in the distance (or on the wall if necessary, and zone out.

- Count how many people come and go on the TMs around me.

onemile

This winter I ended up doing more tm runs than usual.  It helps pass the time to futz with the speed control a lot. I start slow and up it by .1mph every 2 minutes... say from 6.0 to 8.0 and then back down.   Using it for speedwork isn't bad either. Intervals and such pass the time much faster than just doing a steady paced run.  And I put something on TV.

LRB

Games and treadmill in the same sentence?  That is like a contradiction of major proportions.  lol

The only way I can pull a treadmill run off of any length is to go someplace else mentally.  That is to daydream to the point that I am almost completely unaware that I am actually running.

I am actually pretty good at it if I have enough crap going on in my life for subject matter but I have found that having the TV on and music in the background also helps immensely.

Once mentally gone I could run 20 miles if I actually needed to, although my TM runs tend to be in the 4 to 7 mile range.

Sometimes 4 miles is not long enough to get anything going in my head and thus it can be worse than an 8 mile run as weird as that may sound.

RSX

I do half my runs on a tm all year. I watch tv using a news show which I like, water every 1/2 mile gives me a way to break it down easier, and being a numbers guy I count down in tenths.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Music. I don't listen to it when I run outside, so having music on the treadmill was a novelty this winter.

I also had a purpose for each workout, so I didn't feel like I was just getting on there to kill time slogging away.

I also did count downs. Mainly when I was doing tempo effort runs and wanting to slow down. Things like, ok, this is the 1/2 mile of a race, this is the last 1/4 mile, think of how much better you are going to be, etc.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Watch something.

Yesterday was the final stage of le Tour for example. Its often music DVDs.

But basically to get any sort of decent mileage in  whilst meeting other responsibilities, I  have to use the TM.

So its suck it up and do it.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

skygazer

My longest run on TM is 6 miles, only once. That means I don't cope with it very well. I'd rather repeat an outdoor short route multiple times, just for comparison. But when I do use TM, I try to get there around Wheel of Fortune time and use the TM in front of the TV set to that channel (at the gym so I don't have other choices). And I'd vary the speed, from very low to moderate, then I vary the slope from flat to ~6.0 very gradually so it would fill up the distance/time. At that point my brain suffers far more than my body, I call it a good run.

A recent study by some (must be very bored) scientists on being bored showed that men rather physically hurt themselves than being bored, given the choices.

skygazer

I don't use TM for speed work though. I have fear that I might fall off the machine IF I can't hold on my fast pace. But many times I have finished a TM run by cranking up the speed to as high as I can.

LRB

A recent study by some (must be very bored) scientists on being bored showed that men rather physically hurt themselves than being bored, given the choices.

Hilarious!  The other coping thread will vouch for that.  lol

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The same way I cope with long runs:  I don't do them.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

outoftheblue

On shorter runs, I tend to play numbers games and break the run up into segments which I run at different speeds.  For runs over 8 miles, I either watch TV or else put myself into a trance-like state, where I let my mind wander and try not to think about how far/long I'm going to be on there.

Life is good.

Love the Half

This winter I ended up doing more tm runs than usual.  It helps pass the time to futz with the speed control a lot. I start slow and up it by .1mph every 2 minutes... say from 6.0 to 8.0 and then back down.   Using it for speedwork isn't bad either. Intervals and such pass the time much faster than just doing a steady paced run.  And I put something on TV.

Me exactly although I don't control the TV in the fitness center

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Little Blue

I think I am eternally grateful that I don't have access to a TM.  And fortunate that I can run outside pretty much all year, give or take a few extreme days.

I still don't know how you do it, even though you've just told me.

Baboon

delicate flower

Distractions.  Any.Friggin.Distraction.  I listen to music or podcasts and I have the TV on.  If there happens to be a live sporting event on TV, bonus!  I also vary the speeds.  I cannot do an entire treadmill session at the same speed.  I have to adjust the speed every half mile or mile.

Running on the treadmill is similar to drinking alcohol.  The more you do it, the bigger your tolerance grows, and the more you can do it.  Once you stop for a while then start up again, the tolerance has faded and it becomes difficult again.  I did a solid 80% of my running on the treadmill during the winter with no problems.  I've now used the TM once each of the last three months, and each time was very, very tough mentally.  Not looking forward to winter again.

<3

DavePNW

I will go with the "Suck it up and get it done" option from the LR poll. There's a foot of snow or a raging thunderstorm outside, you need to get your miles in, you do it.

But yes also to the TV (Morning Joe was my go-to last winter, I realize this would actually increase the boredom factor for most of you), and changing speeds (every easy run was actually a progression).

I agree with Baboon you sort of build up a tolerance. And I built up a big one last winter, it just became business as usual. But I never did a LR on the TM, my longest was 12. I managed to find one day every weekend to get myself outside for a LR. Even if it was back & forth on the one 1.15 mile stretch of road in my neighborhood that was kept cleared, for 18-20 miles, at sub-zero windchill. Not sure why that was better than the treadmill, but it was.

Dave