Beginners and Beyond

Lazy Thursdailies (Read 40 times)

oldfartrunner

I will throw in more speed work. I'm still going to remain a rather casual higher volume trainer, but you kinda got me convinced that I do not put enough in my overall training. Until I hurt myself and remember why I don't run fast often Smile

Well, that is really the bottom line; how much workload each person can handle. Better a little over time than too much in one session and injury. I think that is what I was trying to point out? The vast majority of runners can only handle X amount of work in a session without breaking and there are upper limits that are pretty well excepted by most coaches- depending on the experience of the runner. Each person has to find their limit. This usually can only be found by pushing the edge enough to know your limits in mileage, speed, and volume per session. Smile

DavePNW

He isn't. That's right. But I can't get that in my thick head. Years of conditioning: Dave is training for a marathon. Dave is training for a marathon. Dave is training for a marathon. See?

Tell me about it.

Dave

DavePNW

When you're running 65 miles a week with workouts I don't think 6x1 mile, with rests, is an inappropriate workout.

Ooh! I'm only in the 50s, so I'm off the hook.

Dave

DavePNW

He is the marathon man, that's for sure! lol

Hey, it's not like I'm some kind of Maniac or anything.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

5 on the treadmill. Tried to speed up in the middle, didn't happen. Felt faster than it was and my heart rate never really climbed.

OFR, the first time I tried the workout was because my thinking was maybe this is the type of change that will finally bring some changes. After feeling like my hamstrings were on the verge of cramping for 5 days after, I decided not again. The issue for me with that type of workout is that it ends up being A LOT of time at a stressful pace--over 45 minutes for me. Maybe for the post college guys busting out sub 6 mm pace, the time isn't as much a factor. For a workout like that, I think I prefer the Daniel's scaling--he has you do 6 minutes in place of mile repeats if you are slower than 6mm (which I am, by a lot).

You are going to run it by effort. Whatever pace feels like the one outside, whatever that may be.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hey, it's not like I'm some kind of Maniac or anything.

Soon, my padawan.

Damaris

oldfartrunner

Ooh! I'm only in the 50s, so I'm off the hook.

DavePNW

Dave

oldfartrunner

5 on the treadmill. Tried to speed up in the middle, didn't happen. Felt faster than it was and my heart rate never really climbed.

OFR, the first time I tried the workout was because my thinking was maybe this is the type of change that will finally bring some changes. After feeling like my hamstrings were on the verge of cramping for 5 days after, I decided not again. The issue for me with that type of workout is that it ends up being A LOT of time at a stressful pace--over 45 minutes for me. Maybe for the post college guys busting out sub 6 mm pace, the time isn't as much a factor. For a workout like that, I think I prefer the Daniel's scaling--he has you do 6 minutes in place of mile repeats if you are slower than 6mm (which I am, by a lot).

Yeah, 800s work for just about everyone for V02 Max work.  For the slower runner 4-6 min. For the faster 2-3 min.

oldfartrunner

Soon, my padawan.

The force is strong in this one.

Runshortii

Nice. Did you end up going with Thunderdome, or?

I didn’t, actually. I was originally going to go between them or this woman I know, Michelle, who does her own coaching and coaches a handful of athletes. I like thunderdome, but the fact that he has never ran a marathon kind of bugged me. Not saying you need to be a great accomplished marathoner to be a good coach, but I think you should have ran the distance if you’re going to be telling me how to train and recover from one

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I didn’t, actually. I was originally going to go between them or this woman I know, Michelle, who does her own coaching and coaches a handful of athletes. I like thunderdome, but the fact that he has never ran a marathon kind of bugged me. Not saying you need to be a great accomplished marathoner to be a good coach, but I think you should have ran the distance if you’re going to be telling me how to train and recover from one

I agree and it helps. Both of the coaches I’ve had are Marathon Maniacs and capable of running both multiple marathons and PR races and I feel they know what I need or how I should feel, recover and prepare because they do it themselves.

Damaris