Beginners and Beyond

Lazy Thursdailies (Read 40 times)

IMO, workouts like this and 6x1mile @ 10K, are for experienced competitive runners-think college blasters and beyond for the most part. 

I'm going with this explanation, because I see no reason to run 6 miles at 10K pace in a single workout unless I'm actually racing a 10K.

Also, I've finally (mostly) learned to check myself before I wreck myself.  I'm not a college kid anymore with stretchy tendons and all that.  I would like to continue doing this for some time, and injury risk tells me that 6x 1 at something faster than TH is a big cup of NOPE.  But more power to you if you can do it!

oldfartrunner

I'm going with this explanation, because I see no reason to run 6 miles at 10K pace in a single workout unless I'm actually racing a 10K.

Also, I've finally (mostly) learned to check myself before I wreck myself.  I'm not a college kid anymore with stretchy tendons and all that.  I would like to continue doing this for some time, and injury risk tells me that 6x 1 at something faster than TH is a big cup of NOPE.  But more power to you if you can do it!

Exactly, and I updated my thoughts on it to say I believe it is better to break up the workload for the advanced competitor rather than doing so much volume in one session. And also to work faster than 5K pace. Much like the "Plateau Buster" workout I gave you. Smile

onemile

I ran 5

LRB

I will absolutely try this!!!!  I've kicked it about 90% by getting a sit/stand desk for the office, now I probably stand all but an hour a day at work.  It starts to get angry when I sit on anything low, including my couches, so I watch a lot less TV than I used to--it actually hurts to sit more than one show.  Driving is the worst though.  There was a point about 2 years ago that I would be almost in tears by the time I got to work in the morning.  Now I can make it about an hour and be ok, but more than that and it starts to bug.  2 hours of driving, I'm 8/10 on a pain scale.  I've spent way too much time and money on PT trying to fix it with meh results.  But no one ever told me to try leg swings, so I'll give them a shot.  Do you just swing front to back, or is it more out and around?

I had forgotten about the searing pain emanating from my backside randomly during runs and throughout the day, it was awful.

The leg swings are back to front and are not exaggerated or jerky. Initially, you may look to go no higher than hip height on the front side, but eventually, you'll get to the point where you're kicking above your head. I sometimes hold the top of a chair, table or wall with my off hand while doing them, but can also stand unsupported and kick to the ceiling. Once you're comfortable with the movement, you can bend the leg at a 90 degree angle on the backside swing for a nice stretch of the quads.

oldfartrunner

I had forgotten about the searing pain emanating from my backside randomly during runs and throughout the day, it was awful.

The leg swings are back to front and are not exaggerated or jerky. Initially, you may look to go no higher than hip height on the front side, but eventually, you'll get to the point where you're kicking above your head. I sometimes hold the top of a chair, table or wall with my off hand while doing them, but can also stand unsupported and kick to the ceiling. Once you're comfortable with the movement, you can bend the leg at a 90 degree angle on the backside swing for a nice stretch of the quads.

Nice link LRB!   That's a track runner workout for sure. I do a few of them but I look pretty pathetic. Lol! ..... Damn that girls got loose hips!

Baboon

delicate flower

I ran 5.2 at a moderate effort.  My last five pace splits were 7:13, 7:15, 7:15, 7:14, 7:12, which is kind of cool because I didn't look at my watch a single time during the run.

<3

Runshortii

I’m supposed to do 4 tempo miles at 10K pace Saturday, well 7:20-7:25, and I ran a HM at 7:27 a few months ago so hopefully that’s not my 10K pace anymore and it feels easier lol

LRB

Nice link LRB!   That's a track runner workout for sure. I do a few of them but I look pretty pathetic. Lol! ..... Damn that girls got loose hips!

I've been doing it for years. It's simple and doesn't take up a lot of time. I also add resistance bands on many of them.

onemile

I’m supposed to do 4 tempo miles at 10K pace Saturday, well 7:20-7:25, and I ran a HM at 7:27 a few months ago so hopefully that’s not my 10K pace anymore and it feels easier lol

are you using a training plan or a coach now?

onemile

When you're running 65 miles a week with workouts I don't think 6x1 mile, with rests, is an inappropriate workout.

Half Crazy K 2.0

5 on the treadmill. Tried to speed up in the middle, didn't happen. Felt faster than it was and my heart rate never really climbed.

OFR, the first time I tried the workout was because my thinking was maybe this is the type of change that will finally bring some changes. After feeling like my hamstrings were on the verge of cramping for 5 days after, I decided not again. The issue for me with that type of workout is that it ends up being A LOT of time at a stressful pace--over 45 minutes for me. Maybe for the post college guys busting out sub 6 mm pace, the time isn't as much a factor. For a workout like that, I think I prefer the Daniel's scaling--he has you do 6 minutes in place of mile repeats if you are slower than 6mm (which I am, by a lot).

RunningOnSand

SRD for me.

i always find the first rep the hardest until I get into a rhythm. Thinking maybe I’ll register for Chicago tonight

Do it!!!!

I entered into the lottery.

LRB

When you're running 65 miles a week with workouts I don't think 6x1 mile, with rests, is an inappropriate workout.

It's not. As I said the other day, it's a pretty basic workout that should not require anymore than a 400 meter recovery. But I think it's really just a matter of training perspective. If you train at the high end of paces, and don't mind it, no workout that includes the word interval (which generally indicates that there is a rest period in there somewhere) is a deal breaker.

We used to have this discussion back on the BF years ago; would you rather run 12 miles continuously at MP, or run 8 miles worth of intervals at 5k pace. I would take the intervals in a New York minute! But there are those who would rather not. I'm not right and they are not wrong, it just comes down to preference I think.

Half Crazy K 2.0

At 35 mpw, it is questionable at best.

LRB

At 35 mpw, it is questionable at best.

At 35 miles per week, you would just race a 10k, and that would be the workout.