Beginners and Beyond

Amateur marathon runners are slowing down.......(Wall Street Journal).... (Read 197 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That, I can agree.  One needs to be the lightest you can be to be able to run your best.  But I wouldn't use BMI as the benchmark.

Damaris

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

So this is an example of a BMI of 24.

from linky

Yeah, and one time I found $100 on a run ergo everyone will find $100 on their next run.

You people have issues 

Hip Redux

I didn't click on the link yet, but I will. To me, this girl looks great and she looks fit. But she also looks like she has fat on. Not saying that she should get rid of it, but she could if she wanted to.

Honestly, everyone "can" lose weight.  Everyone.  The question is what is healthy weight for the individual.   Especially women who would be up against amenorrhea and other physiological changes from being too low in body fat composition.   That person is actually a higher BMI than I am, and, I would say, in better shape.   With my lower BMI (by like almost two+ points), I really should lose another 5-8lbs to be close to her composition.  But by strict BMI interpretation, that would be flipped.

There is a reason why professional runners are scrawny ass people, absolutely yes.   The rest of us fools should probably look at overall health, rather than trying to emulate people who make a living out of running, is all.

Fsocks - I don't get your point.  And I really don't care. lol

happylily

She has no fat to spare... It may look bad to our eyes, too skinny, etc... but Paula is healthy and fit. Just like the 24 BMI girl above is also. But one has no fat and the other does (and also muscles). Fat isn't a bad thing necessarily, but lets call it by its name.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes, but BMI does not measure the % of fat.

Just body mass.

Damaris

Hip Redux

Women are not intended to be "no fat" and fat is not unhealthy.  Too much fat is.  But too little is just as concerning, healthwise - thyroid issues, osteoporosis, etc.   I deleted the link since it didn't specifically talk about body composition and D is right, BMI doesn't measure body fat anyway...

catwhoorg

Labrat

I discounted the possibility of future BQ for myself based on another LTH requirement, stated in a post some months ago: BMI < 22.

I am at 24.5, and I just do not see that I have an extra 20 lb to lose.

To get to BMI of 22 I'd have to lose 40 lbs as of this morning.

Weight that can be lost for sure. Not 40lbs worth. (Actually more like 50 lbs from when that was taken)

In that photo I was actually BMI > 30, so obese.

Yay me.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

happylily

Women are not intended to be "no fat" and fat is not unhealthy.  Too much fat is.  But too little is just as concerning, healthwise - thyroid issues, osteoporosis, etc.   I deleted the link since it didn't specifically talk about body composition and D is right, BMI doesn't measure body fat anyway...

True. Women should not have no fat. I agree it's not healthy. Paula had a team of nutritionists and doctors around her, so she could pull it off and remain healthy. I'm not advocating looking and doing like her. I'm just saying that the girl whose picture you posted could lose some weight if she wanted to, and still be very healthy. Whether she'd look better is a question of personal taste.

Hip Redux

True. Women should not have no fat. I agree it's not healthy. Paula had a team of nutritionists and doctors around her, so she could pull it off and remain healthy. I'm not advocating looking and doing like her. I'm just saying that the girl whose picture you posted could lose some weight if she wanted to, and still be very healthy. Whether she'd look better is a question of personal taste.

And Paula could gain some weight and still be ok too.

I actually don't know which would "look" better.  Now if you want to debate the various stylings of Ryan Gosling, we could.  Big grin

Fsocks - I don't get your point.  And I really don't care. lol

I won't pretend to speak for FSocks but my takeaway was that whenever people post pictures of, or talk about, people with high BMI's it is always an athlete or someone similar to that weightlifter to somehow prove a point that it is o.k. to have a high BMI. The fact that BMI was never meant to be an individual assessment but rather only appropriate for population studies seems to fly right over the heads of many.

Another fact is that most people have no idea what "normal" looks like anymore.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't think anyone here says a high BMI is OK.  The examples were to show how BMI is not the end all or be all on weight loss and health.

Damaris

catwhoorg

Labrat

I'd argue that team was about minimizing the long term damage, her being at a unhealthy weight caused.

Elite endurance athletes do go down to unhealthy weights (to be faster).

Its about doing so for as little time as possible during the season, and to do in a less damaging manner.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

happylily

And Paula could gain some weight and still be ok too.

I actually don't know which would "look" better.  Now if you want to debate the various stylings of Ryan Gosling, we could.  Big grin

Paula doesn't look good to me. The other girl does. But I don't know if Paula would be a world record holder if she had had the fat on her that the other girl does... The look aspect was not my point.

When I'm done with marathons, I want to put a good 10-15 lbs on my scrawny self. And add lifting. Scrawny looking is never nice for a woman. I know that.

Hip Redux

I won't pretend to speak for FSocks but my takeaway was that whenever people post pictures of, or talk about, people with high BMI's it is always an athlete or someone similar to that weightlifter to somehow prove a point that it is o.k. to have a high BMI. The fact that BMI was never meant to be an individual assessment but rather only appropriate for population studies seems to fly right over the heads of many.

While BMI was originally designed for population studies,  it is intended - in it's modern usage - to be an individual assessment.  Which was my point in showing that picture - that it's a crappy number for individual body composition or health/fitness.  I could show you 10 people with BMI of 24 and there would be more differences than similarities - some at a healthy weight, some not.

happylily

I'd argue that team was about minimizing the long term damage, her being at a unhealthy weight caused.

Elite endurance athletes do go down to unhealthy weights (to be faster).

Its about doing so for as little time as possible during the season, and to do in a less damaging manner.

Richard, I can believe that. She does look under the limit of healthy, I admit.