Beginners and Beyond

Non-race report- Fallbrook Turkey Trot - Now with photos (Read 54 times)

Zelanie

My sister and I were in California together for Thanksgiving, helping our parents move. Although we've both been runners, we've never both been running at the same time before, so she suggested that we do a turkey trot together. Our first-ever run together was actually the day before, we took a nice mid-day run around the park by out parents' house.

Since I live not too far from Track Town USA and she lives near Denver, we were shocked that there wasn't a Turkey Trot where our parents live. The closest one she could find was 30 minutes away in Fallbrook.

We weren't really planning to race it, I am still in recovery mode and her training hadn't been what she'd hoped. She wanted to finish in under 35 minutes and I was happy to jog along.

Still, we got there and realized that we were pretty out of place. She took her ID to the check in table, but that sure wasn't needed! (Plus she forgot to get it back into her pocket for when she got carded later, oops!).

There were no bibs, just wristbands (no number even). There wasn't a clock, although there did turn out to be a guy with an iPhone at the finish. There were maybe 50 people there, and they all looked like they knew each other except for us. We were the strange out of towners.

Even stranger, we decided to run a warmup. This really confused the volunteers. The only other people warming up were the 4 kids from the local cross country team, who were clearly there to race each other.

We tried to follow the course signs for the warmup, which appeared to be a half-mile loop of switchbacks down a garden area and a hill back up. We only managed two loops before we couldn't bear it any more, especially if the race was going to be 6 more of those loops!

They lined us up, somebody said go, and we were off! Switchbacks down, hill up, and when we got up, the cones and arrows had moved, so we were now zigzagging the parking lot. Two volunteers were arguing about where the course was supposed to go. I think they moved a few arrows for the group behind us, and we ran a different route than the group ahead.

The good news is that we did eventually get out of the parking lot and onto a trail. There were a few little wooden ramps that I was enjoying running up and jumping off.

We finished with two loops around a pond. My sister kicked it in, but I wasn't in the mood. I finished in just under 31 minutes, so she was way ahead of her goal time.

Not a good race, but a good, fun, no stress sort of event. If I have time, I will post pictures later.

At the start, wearing the turkey napkins we had found when cleaning out the kitchen the night before.  I didn't get the "wear pink" memo, apparently.

One of the ramps. Not the best one, but still kind of fun.  My sister accidentally took a selfie as I jumped off the first one, so then I told her about how Jack's daughter runs her HMs. Smile

Passing the start/finish cone.  Timing services by iphone guy.

tracilynn

LOL at the turkey napkins! WTG 

but I can't see the pic so I'm imagining them and it's funny

~~~~~~~

Traci

outoftheblue

It looks like you and your sister had loads of fun.   I can't wait to see pictures of the turkey napkins.  I laughed at the bewilderment expressed that you were doing a warm-up.

It sounds a bit like the turkey trot I do annually.  No bibs, timing or clock.  No entry fee, either, except for a donation to a canned food drive.  The top 50 runners do get a popsicle stick with a number reflecting your finishing place.  If you then carry your stick to piece of paper taped down to a folding table, a volunteer will right your name down on the "finishing board".

Life is good.

GinnyinPA

You burned some calories before the big meal and enjoyed some time running with your sister - sounds like you won that Turkey Trot.

LRB

Sounds like you two were from the future traveling back in time to the origins of racing. lol

Have you made a decision on running a spring marathon versus not running one?

Zelanie

Looks like I will have to post photos later when I at least have a tablet. The local all-comers meet uses the popsicle stick method. The only competition for this one was among the cross country kids.

LRB- I just don't know if running a marathon is worth it. I like to run too much to lose time to recovery, hehe. I am thinking late fall if at all next year, if not 2016.

happylily

What great fun it must have been to run with your sister! Although the set up sounded a bit like two visitors arriving in a small town in a Stephen King novel (Okay, I'm exaggerating... but the organisation did sound horrific for someone used to races ), this was the perfect occasion to take it with humour and enjoy the sisterly companionship. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Zel and because I didn't have a chance to tell you before: congratulations on the new job! That is something to be quite proud of!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job on the race with your sister.

I cannot see the picture, though.

Damaris

LRB

I am thinking late fall if at all next year, if not 2016.

I approve of this message. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I approve of this message. 

Do you approve of my marathon next weekend? 

Damaris

LRB

I cannot see the picture, though.

Really?

LRB

Do you approve of my marathon next weekend? 

I did when I thought it was this weekend, now I'll have to ponder it. 

Ugh, sorry that the "race" was so slipshod.  But, at least you got to run with your sister.  Turkey napkins must have been great costumes, lol.

Cyberic

Lol, that was quite an event you attended there

I had fun reading about it, but I'm not sure how I would have liked such a race.

Cool that you got to race it with your sister!

B-Plus

You'll have to go back and win it next year