Beginners and Beyond

Paging RunsWithBeer (Read 104 times)

Don't call me Buttercup!

Hi!  I noticed on the HM sticky thread that you are "debuting" at the Frederick HM - me, too!  Are you ready? =)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

RunswithBeer

I am. You? I actually was ready a month ago and I am a little anxious, I kinda got burned out mentally from running in the dark and the cold, so my mileage and effort has slipped the last few weeks.

I know the area of the race fairly well and I don't think it is a very hilly course so I am pretty confident. Being fairly new to running I haven't been able to really figure out my race pace from my training pace. I feel like I give it everything I have every time I run. So I have a couple different goals in mind. But I really don't know what to expect for a time.

You nervous, excited?

Don't call me Buttercup!

I'm terrified. LOL  My training has been awful due to illness/injury/general suckage.  So I'm run/walking the race because I'm too stubborn to DNS.  I'm a slower runner anyway, so run/walking isn't going to totally kill my pace (actually, if history is any indication, it'll improve it!), but still. It's not what I wanted when I signed up for the race!

I'm also excited, though.   I think it's going to be a good time.   Are you doing the Nut Job? I have a friend who is doing it, but I'll just be spectating at the 5K.

Mostly harmless

Hey there. I'm running this one too!  This will be my third Frederick HM. The course is mostly flat and crowd support is great.

I will be wearing a "Boston Stands as One" t shirt and hanging out near The 1:45 pacer if you want to say hi.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

are you MD folks doing the Baltimore 10M or Baltimore Running Festival this year??

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Don't call me Buttercup!

Hey there. I'm running this one too!  This will be my third Frederick HM. The course is mostly flat and crowd support is great.

I will be wearing a "Boston Stands as One" t shirt and hanging out near The 1:45 pacer if you want to say hi.

Hey, Scott!  I'll look for you before I head to stand behind the 2:50 pacer and try not to cry. LOL

Don't call me Buttercup!

are you MD folks doing the Baltimore 10M or Baltimore Running Festival this year??

I sooooo want to do the Baltimore 10 miler but it's not going to work out this year.   I did the Baltimore Running Fest 5K last year and would love to do the HM one year, but this year I'll be in Vermont doing a HM that weekend.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

BOOOOO! lol. When I come to Baltimore for races, the Baltimore forumites are supposed to be there for me to have a FE lol

I sooooo want to do the Baltimore 10 miler but it's not going to work out this year.   I did the Baltimore Running Fest 5K last year and would love to do the HM one year, but this year I'll be in Vermont doing a HM that weekend.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Mostly harmless

I might do the Baltimore HM.  It's a couple weeks before Marine Corps Marathon so I would have to hold back and try not to race it. Holding back isn't easy for me.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

RunswithBeer

Hopefully we will have good weather for Frederick. I am getting really excited. I am glad to hear there is great fan support. It surprises me every time i race (3 times) at how much the crowd can help.

I am not doing the nut job. I think i have the training to do it but i really wanted to concentrate on the half. That is what trained for. I am doing the Fun Run w my 3 yr old daughter. i think i will be ok w 100 yds at a 3yr old pace though.

I am planning to do a half in the fall, i just havent decided which one yet. I did the Baltimore 5k last year and i thought it was a good event, so i may do the half this year. As for the 10 miler, i will make my decision at the expo next Saturday. It is on Fathers Day weekend, i think, so i feel that the family should be ok with it.

Love the Half

I might do the Baltimore HM.  It's a couple weeks before Marine Corps Marathon so I would have to hold back and try not to race it. Holding back isn't easy for me.

Actually, that might be good mental preparation for the marathon.  Go run Baltimore but discipline yourself to run it at your marathon goal pace.  It will give you good practice on the mental discipline of holding back early as you have to do in a marathon and it will be a really good hard but not too hard workout.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mostly harmless

Hey, Scott!  I'll look for you before I head to stand behind the 2:50 pacer and try not to cry. LOL

If you get a chance, look for Sid Busch.  He'll be the 67 year old guy running with the flag. Sid is awesome.

Mostly harmless

If you get a chance, look for Sid Busch.  He'll be the 67 year old guy running with the flag. Sid is awesome.

Here is another article about Sid. I had the chance to meet him in person before the race last year and chat for a few minutes. He's a super nice guy and actually teared up when he spoke about the service member he was running for, a guy he had never met in his life.

Don't call me Buttercup!

Here is another article about Sid. I had the chance to meet him in person before the race last year and chat for a few minutes. He's a super nice guy and actually teared up when he spoke about the service member he was running for, a guy he had never met in his life.

I've read about him before, and have "talked" to him via Facebook (well, he answered a question I posted).  I am hoping to shake his hand!

RunswithBeer

Temps are looking good for Sunday. I am hoping for some sun which is not in the forecast right now but we all know how the weather is around here. I am getting excited.