Beginners and Beyond

TUESDAILIES? (Read 30 times)

DavePNW

Goddammit, I've now reached the part of the plan that asks for 7 days of running per week. I liked having a slug day. sigh... 

I have never been a 7-day runner, but I had a ~30 day streak a couple months ago. Not crazy about it, seemed like I never felt fresh. Then I got injured. Anyway, kind of glad my plan calls for 6 days all the way through. That's what you get for picking a special fancy Hansons plan...enjoy your run tomorrow while I have a slug day! 

Dave

DavePNW

One way to look positively at that (something I like to do) is that they are not all in a row as in a 3 mile steady state run.  When you are ready to do a 3 mile steady state run check back with me for some more positive swing.  Big grin

Yeah I figure it's basically like racing a 5k but with a couple jog breaks. Still a bit more intimidating than the shorter intervals to me. Trying to decide whether to use the track for the longer intervals or just program my watch & use the road.

Hansons has a 2x3 mile with 1 mile recovery, but it's at MP-10 so not as scary to me.

Dave

LRB

Yeah I figure it's basically like racing a 5k but with a couple jog breaks. Still a bit more intimidating than the shorter intervals to me. Trying to decide whether to use the track for the longer intervals or just program my watch & use the road.

I have only run 1600's at the track one time.  All of my mile repeats are run out in the open at the park or on one of my public routes which gives you a different dynamic because you have to learn how to run in space, not necessarily focusing on the flag pole at the track for instance that you know is the end of your lap.

When running at pace in the open you do not know when the interval is going to end so it teaches you tolerance while in distress.

I have run everything from 200 meters through 1200 out in the open and again you get a different feel so do not be afraid to mix it up.  I have written about running at pace with traffic and it can be tricky but having to stop and pause a couple times for a few seconds is not the end of the world.

As far as laps at the track, for me it usually is the difference between an extra half or full lap as I mostly run 1000's and 1200's.  When you look at it that way it is not that bad but what works for me may not work for you.

I think too that speed work is made to be more daunting than it actually is.  You hear words like pain and hurt but those are mostly embellishments.  The truth is during your recovery you recover, so the next interval should be looked at as if it were a big fat juicy steak and you just have to run a lap (or 2 or 3) to get it.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Y'all are way too serious....

Oh...here are the socks I wore on my run this morning.  I love crazy-type socks with logos, patterns, etc.  I get my socks online primarily from 4 places: Gizmo Socks, DeFeet Socks, Tons of Socks, and The Sock Guy, they all have all sorts of crazy socks, lots of colors, designs, etc.

photo socks_zps797e0485.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

B-Plus

I think the following bears repeating.

It’s just running. My 2 cents.

I think we often get too caught up in the details and just need to run. Maybe we screwed up the pace a little bit on one of the intervals but I think as long as we get in a solid effort every so often we're doing pretty good.

B-Plus

Crap it will be 80 by the time I start my 1000s.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Still dealing with crappy sinus congestion, during the last 2 mornings I have woke up feeling like I was at some sort of all night orgy that got really rough  .

Dorian, Rocky and I went for a 2.8 mile hike this morning and I have a 3 mile run planned tonight but I think I might push it to 4....... or at least 3.5. Having failed on the 16 miler this past Sunday has me fearing another messed up LR so I am seriously thinking about getting as much mileage in this week before Sunday.... trying to control myself though, want to stay smart and not get desperate.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Rick, boo the cr@ppy eight.

(((((((Shari))))))) Feel well soon.

Phil, have an amazing track workout.

Cyberic99, wonderful intervals. Yay for yummy food.

scottydawg, great hilly run/walk. I admire your tenacity.

Slymoon Runs, have a great quality run.

Zelanie, enjoy the intervals.

Lily, brava on your eight recovery miles.

Marjorie, beautiful 10.2. Have fun doing Pilates.

B-Plus, I hope that your 1000s aren't too uncomfortable.

FreeSoul87, nice hike with Rocky and Dorian. Enjoy your run tonight.

8.0 done in 1:19:07. 9:54 pace. Much better than this morning. I'm saving lower-body weights for tomorrow morning.

LRB

Rick, boo the cr@ppy eight.

It's cool, I am eating Ghiradelli chocolate as punishment.  That'll learn my ass.

StepbyStep-SH

Just the fresh air of walking out to get the paper this morning helped me feel better, so I decided DS and I should hike first, then do our shopping and errands in the afternoon. We explored a new trail, and we were very glad we had worn pants - LOTS of poison ivy, and it was just a narrow track through the vegetation.

We were out there for about two hours. The only fauna we saw were a few songbirds, bees, and butterflies, but we did hear a pair of owls. DS tried to get videos with bird calls and of the insects, but for some reason the camera just recorded the first image and the audio (or at least that is all that transferred over to the computer). Still, it was fun for me to hear him "narrating" information about what he was seeing.

I am feeling a lot better tonight, so I should be able to get a good run in tomorrow morning.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Got 4 miles in with Dorian and Rocky, then we walked 1.3 miles as a cool down. Still not feeling too great.......

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Feel better, Andrea!

I think I feel better but I am not going to push running until I get my Chicago plan.

Damaris

B-Plus

I was refuelling after my 3rd interval and somebody asked me if I was ok. I wonder how I looked to elicit such a question 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks, I am trying.

Glad you're feeling better though.

Feel better, Andrea!

I think I feel better but I am not going to push running until I get my Chicago plan.

PRs

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I was refuelling after my 3rd interval and somebody asked me if I was ok. I wonder how I looked to elicit such a question 

ack... That is a bit disconcerting.

Quality done - felt good - 11 total.

Night all!