Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES (Read 38 times)

GinnyinPA

I started out my run today with everything hurting:  knees, hips, glutes, hamstrings and pelvis.  I thought I overdid it yesterday with my good run, but maybe it is just taper.  About a mile in, everything but the hamstrings shut up, so I did my planned 6.5 hilly miles.

I'd also be interested in how other people are eating pre-marathon.  For my long runs, I never really made any changes in meals, though I did find a few things that didn't work for me, like chili.  Since at this point, the training is basically done, all I can do is obsess about the other details.  Do you all go to the pre-race Pasta Dinner?

LRB

I started out my run today with everything hurting:  knees, hips, glutes, hamstrings and pelvis.  I thought I overdid it yesterday with my good run, but maybe it is just taper.  About a mile in, everything but the hamstrings shut up, so I did my planned 6.5 hilly miles.

I'd also be interested in how other people are eating pre-marathon.  For my long runs, I never really made any changes in meals, though I did find a few things that didn't work for me, like chili.  Since at this point, the training is basically done, all I can do is obsess about the other details.  Do you all go to the pre-race Pasta Dinner?

Don't laugh, but I actually take my food with me when I travel. lol

In my opinion, there is not enough time for the body to properly process and convert that pasta to useable glycogen. At that point in the game you should be topping off your carb stores, not still filling them.

Aside from the actual running I do while training, carb loading is absolutely an important aspect of racing for me. Mind you, a proper carb load does not guarantee race success, but it eliminates one less bad thing that can happen.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Scotty geocaching is sort of like a scavenger hUnt. People have hidden items throughout the world in camouflaged boxes or jars in varying sizes and using gps coordinates you look and find them. It's fun.

Today hubby and I found our first travel bug inside one. We will likely bring it to our next race and hide it in a geocache there.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't eat pasta before my marathons so I never go to the pasta dinner.  I always eat out the day before my marathon (mostly because 90% of them are destination races, ugh), and I only do a 1 day carboloading program, so something like this:

Pancakes, OJ, and some protein for breakfast

Banana & Gatorade as a snack

Chicken or meat with either potatoes or a mofongo if I am lucky

Banana & Gatorade as a snack

Sandwich or chicken with potatoes

I did some of these for Paris but for all of the other races I do all this.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Day before a marathon:

Pancakes and bagel for breakfast

Throughout the day: CLIF bar(s), white grape juice, baked potato, Swedish fish candy, oatmeal cookie, Powerbar Gel chew things (I can't remember what they are called), Gatorade, dried cherries and blueberries.

Dinner: I am usually too full to eat but I might have a light salad.

LRB

I did not record what I had for Detroit last fall but the day before the marathon always starts with pancakes and scrambled eggs, a banana and orange juice. A protein shake is thrown in there somewhere along with rice and black beans, a gallon of Gatorade spread throughout the day, a baked potato, more rice or pasta, bread and a candy bar which last fall was a large Twix.

There is usually some spinach in there somewhere which I usually have earlier in the day. My goal is 500 grams of carbs or so (the formula is based on your weight) and I can usually achieve that without eating dinner.

This is something you want to practice before a marathon pace run well in advance so you can work out the kinks and logistics if you are traveling.

I have a hard time with bagels so I go for a blueberry muffin or something like that.

I have done it enough that I can pretty much hit my number without any extra effort or thought. I just enter the numbers as I eat them and deduct accordingly.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I don't think I eat enough before a race. That said,  I've gained 5 pounds since my half 3 weeks ago so I'm certain that I'm eating enough of SOMETHING. OK. Everything that isn't nailed down. Clearly I have binge issues. Just wish it was the healthy stuff I was binging on.

Lori

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

happylily

When is your marathon, Lori?

I eat the same I always eat the day before a marathon. I eat like a pig most days anyway.

One kid here has bronchitis like symptoms. My throat and chest have been burning all day. FFS...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

outoftheblue

I packed in my own food before my marathon too.  Marathon day nerves and my stomach are not a good match, so I wouldn't experiment with anything new .

My plan is to load up the day before with a large breakfast, a moderate lunch and a light, early dinner of something easy to digest.  Last time it was some pesto pasta and a bit of chicken around 5 p.m..   No alcohol and nothing spicy.  I love that stuff, but not pre-race.

Life is good.

Baboon

delicate flower

I ran.  3.06 miles at 9:54 pace.  Nicest damn day of the year and that's all I'm allowed today.  

I'd also be interested in how other people are eating pre-marathon.  

My plan next week is as follows:  I'll start taking in extra carbs Wednesday.  Extra pretzels, an extra bagel and/or potato each day, extra bread if it's there.  Thursday dinner will be pasta with enough leftovers for Friday lunch.  Friday dinner will probably be homemade pizza (carbs).  Saturday is travel day, and the plan is to hit a diner in the morning for pancakes/French toast with toast, eggs, hash browns.  We've got Mediterranean dinner reservations where I'll load up on chicken, rice, couscous, potatoes, and other carby goodness.  Race day breakfast will be bagel, banana, Hammer Bar, coffee, maybe a second bagel, and God willing, a gold medal pooping.  

<3

Little Blue

No, but I contemplated getting my crutches out!    So long as I don't move or attempt to bend at the waist, I am ok.

Sounds like what I did to my back.  No bending!  If anything much be reached below waist level, you squat or kneel.  Makes taking cookies out of the oven dangerous!  As long as I stayed stacked up straight, it didn't hurt.  Much.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Lily it is may 3. Mississauga.

Lori

onemile

I ran.  3.06 miles at 9:54 pace.  Nicest damn day of the year and that's all I'm allowed today.  

Hey... I'm impressed. I figured your embarrassingly slow pace would be 8:30.

Hip Redux

Sounds like what I did to my back.  No bending!  If anything much be reached below waist level, you squat or kneel.  Makes taking cookies out of the oven dangerous!  As long as I stayed stacked up straight, it didn't hurt.  Much.

You must have been contagious.  

Little Blue

You must have been contagious.  

I'm pretty sure my klutziness is genetic, but I don't think it's contagious.  DH rarely does dumb things like I do.

ETA:  I can recommend a good chiropractor.  It just requires a quick trip to NC.