Beginners and Beyond

It's been asked before, what to expect? (Read 98 times)

Sloooow.

I should be having surgery this Thursday, provided they don't reschedule. I'll probably be taking 10-14 days off from running.

How will this effect me?

My mileage is not high at all, my longest run so far is only 5 miles and I try to maintain 10-12 miles a week.

Should I pretty much start back at C25K level?

I should be having a titanium ossicular prosthesis fixed in also, and I have no idea how I should go about running after that. Google comes up with nothing. Shot in the dark, anyone else have one? Lol.

Thanks in advance Smile

Mmmmm...beer

I have no advice to give, but just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

2014 Goals | sub-19 5k done! | sub-40 10k done! | BQ done! | sub-3 M

How long have you been running?  If you have been running for several years, a couple of weeks off will have very little impact.  If you have only been running a few months, it will have more of an impact but it's certainly not going to set you back to zero.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Sloooow.

Thanks Dave!

LtH- I've only been running since July 2012, so 8 months.

Meh, two weeks then won't do much in that case.  Take a week at 50% mileage, a second week at 75% mileage, and then get back where you left off.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mostly Harmless

Meh, two weeks then won't do much in that case.  Take a week at 50% mileage, a second week at 75% mileage, and then get back where you left off.

+1 to this.  All I will add is listen to your body.  I tried to come back too quickly after foot surgery in 2010 and it cost me an additional 4 months.  Best of luck with your surgery!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
              Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Luke79

I'd second this.  I've always heard you don't lose fitness with up to 2 weeks off, then it goes downhill after that.

I would agree that how long you've been running is relevant in that theory.

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Good luck!!!!

I have been running almost the same amount of time as you, summer of 2012 I started as well. I just took an entire month off more or less because of injury. I did a few test runs the first week back for a total of 5 miles,and then went to 8 miles per week and built back from there slowly. But my primary concern was reaggarvating the injury, not loss of fitness. Without considering the injury I think I could have built back faster. I would say do what you can and listen to your body. Head out for a run when you're recovered, see how it goes. Stop for walk breaks if you need them, or stop all together and walk home.

again good luck!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

Dreamer

After a seven week stint on the bench, I found when I returned that running easy was well, easy.  Marathon pace and faster however was a different story!

It took about 4-6 weeks running easy before I built my endurance up to where the faster paces were sustainable, but the beauty of returning to running from injury is that you are running!

MRT: This too shall pass I made it!

Sloooow.

OK, thank you so much everyone, feel a lot better about it now. I'm pretty sure I'll be including the 3 days leading up to surgery so I can go mope in my worry cave, haha.

Thanks again Smile