Beginners and Beyond

Shamrock 2013 (Read 535 times)

I'm doing the Hansons' and it bottoms out at 18 mile long runs.  Next up is next Sundays 16 miler.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I'm doing the Hansons' and it bottoms out at 18 mile long runs.  Next up is next Sundays 16 miler.

i just finish book and really like the plan. I'm all in to use their plan for my fall marathon.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

I'm working Shamrock into my training for my goal marathon on June 2nd.  So it's more of a fun race for me.  I actually deferred my entry from last year (when I had a little injury) so I feel obligated to run it.  And it sounds like fun!

I'm using Hanson's beginner plan for my June 2nd marathon & Shamrock will fall on a weekend when I'm supposed to have a 15 miler.  I'm just hoping I don't completely mess up my training by doing something I "shouldn't" be doing!

Anyway, I can't wait!

Angela 

Trail Monster

I'm working Shamrock into my training for my goal marathon on June 2nd.  So it's more of a fun race for me.  I actually deferred my entry from last year (when I had a little injury) so I feel obligated to run it.  And it sounds like fun!

I'm using Hanson's beginner plan for my June 2nd marathon & Shamrock will fall on a weekend when I'm supposed to have a 15 miler.  I'm just hoping I don't completely mess up my training by doing something I "shouldn't" be doing!

Anyway, I can't wait!

With almost 3 months in between I think you'll be perfectly fine so long as you don't race Shamrock and recover well after it. I did two marathons a month apart and actually PR'ed both. it's totally doable.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

slowrunningjulie

Anyway, I can't wait!

I think that with your goal race being so far away, you will be fine.

I am actually more worried about my mid-week medium-long runs than my long runs at this point. This is my busy season at work and it is hard for me to find the time to get those runs in. I am going to have to literally either get up at 3:30 in the morning or be running until midnight. Neither one of those options is particularly appealing. The third choice is to do my mid-length run on the weekend. This is what I have been doing, but it wasn't such a big deal when it was 6 and 13 or 5 and 10. Now it is going to be 8 and 16 and 10 and 20. That's different.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

Mmmmm...beer

Plan?  I'm supposed to have a plan?!?!  Joking

Distance series 10k went well last weekend, looking forward to seeing what I can do at the 15k and 20k.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

With almost 3 months in between I think you'll be perfectly fine so long as you don't race Shamrock and recover well after it. I did two marathons a month apart and actually PR'ed both. it's totally doable.

Thanks Banshee & slowrunningjulie.  That's what I'm hoping.

Angela 

UPSucks

My long run is up to 7.6 miles right now.  I've been running since July.  Had a setback in September.  I am following the beginner half plan from the Runkeeper app.  I no longer run with my phone though (thank goodness!).  My wife bought me a Forerunner 210 for Christmas!  I love it!

Even though I live in Virginia Beach I believe we are getting a room at the oceanfront.  The day of the Shamrock I will be 42!

I don't really know what kind of goal time I'm going to have.  Before I got sick I was running my long runs at a 9:30 pace.  Ever since then I've slowed down.  Head and chest colds kind of suck when running!

ETA maybe I've also slowed down a little because the Garmin is a little more accurate than my iPhone with the Runkeeper app was?

slowrunningjulie

I have a question for the Shamrock veterans/VA Beach residents - if I am staying at the Hilton Oceanfront hotel, will I need to rent a car? The only places that I will be going are to/from the airport, the expo, food and the race. So if the expo, start/finish line and restaurants are all within easy walking distance, I will probably take a shuttle to and from the airport and skip the car. But I can't tell how far the expo is from the hotel based on the information on the website.

Upcoming:

I have a question for the Shamrock veterans/VA Beach residents - if I am staying at the Hilton Oceanfront hotel, will I need to rent a car? The only places that I will be going are to/from the airport, the expo, food and the race. So if the expo, start/finish line and restaurants are all within easy walking distance, I will probably take a shuttle to and from the airport and skip the car. But I can't tell how far the expo is from the hotel based on the information on the website.

You're at 31st street and I'm at 21st street.  I've been wondering the same thing.  I'm kind of halfway between the expo and the start/finish. Here is a map.  You are at B, I am at A and the expo is at C.

Garmin says it would be a 1.6 mile walk for you, taking about 32 minutes from your hotel to the expo.

slowrunningjulie

You're at 31st street and I'm at 21st street.  I've been wondering the same thing.  I'm kind of halfway between the expo and the start/finish. Here is a map.  You are at B, I am at A and the expo is at C.

Garmin says it would be a 1.6 mile walk for you, taking about 32 minutes from your hotel to the expo.

Hmmm, not sure if I want to walk 3 miles the day before a marathon. Does anyone have any idea about what kind of area this is? Is it the kind of place where I would want to check out anyway, or is it all cars and traffic?

Upcoming:

Hmmm, not sure if I want to walk 3 miles the day before a marathon. Does anyone have any idea about what kind of area this is? Is it the kind of place where I would want to check out anyway, or is it all cars and traffic?

I'm thinking that I'll probably get a car anyway.  My daughter and some of her friends are also running and staying a considerable distance from where I'm staying.  I'd be happy to give you a lift.

Mostly harmless

Virginia Beach is a pretty typical summer tourist/vacation spot.  There is a "boardwalk" that is actually a "concrete-walk" that runs along the beach.  Most of the pedestrian traffic is along there.  In the vacation season there are buses that run up and down the main drag all the time, but they only runs those from May to September.  There are a ton of shops and restaurants out along Atlantic and Pacific but I don't know how much is open in March.  When I ran this last year my brother (who lives about 45 minutes away) met me at the expo and then took me back to his place for dinner.  I came back to my hotel at about 10:00 and didn't venture out again until it was time to race.

My hotel was about a mile from the start and I walked to the start line verrrry slowly the morning of the race.  I was SUPER glad that my brother met me at the finish line to take pictures and to drive me back to my hotel.  I don't think I could have walked back.

Sorry to ramble on. The short answer is if I was you, I would rent a car.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

slowrunningjulie

I'm thinking that I'll probably get a car anyway.  My daughter and some of her friends are also running and staying a considerable distance from where I'm staying.  I'd be happy to give you a lift.

Thanks for the offer. I am going to price a rental car and see how that stacks up to the cost of taking the shuttle to and from the airport. I will let you know.

Upcoming:

msmrow

Signed up for the full!  It will be marathon #2!

We signed up in late December and had a terrible time finding ANY hotel that wasn't booked.  Found a room about 2 miels away at a Best Western and we're now deciding about transportation.  We'll be driving to VA Beach so will have a car, but it doesn't look like there are parking options any closer than the hotel, really.  And the race doesn't seem to do any shuttling from farther parking lots to the start/finish.