Beginners and Beyond

How not to attempt your first ultra (sort of an RR) (Read 102 times)

B-Plus

Cool thing to try out. Based on rule #1, I still have a chance to do an upcoming 8-hour race.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Wow, pretty gutsy to do an ultra sort of on a whim. Congrats on running the race. It'd be fun to try one, one day. Smile

- Andrew

delicate flower

Out of everything you posted there, the thing that would scare me most is trying the Nuun for the first time during the ultra race.  I need to try new nutrition at least twice before using it in a race.  Great job logging the marathon distance!

<3

meaghansketch

Out of everything you posted there, the thing that would scare me most is trying the Nuun for the first time during the ultra race.  I need to try new nutrition at least twice before using it in a race.  Great job logging the marathon distance!

Thanks Baboon-  I figured that Nuun is basically just flavored salt (Note: this turns out not to be 100% true so definitely check out what's in it if you have any bad reactions to anything) so I didn't feel a need to test it out.  Of course I should have, but I didn't even buy it until the night before the race so of course there was no time.  At least now I know it works out well for me!  And I still have 5 or 6 tablets to use for the next time.

LRB

The first (and only) time I have had Nunn was during my half marathon somewhere about mile 10 or so.  It was cold and yummy!

I can generally pretty much stomach anything though except for milk of all things, go figure. 

monkkey

OMG I was at this race! I remember you because of your  PPTC singlet, I was wearing a white NBR shirt.  Congrats on your first timed race!  I did a 6-hour last year (it was the BUS Pajama Romp) so that made this one easier for me.  Loved your RR.

SheCan

Great report, whether you wanted to write it or not.  I think it is a really good example of the psyche of some of us runners.  This might not have been your goal race, but you didn't do badly, and you were smart enough to stop before doing damage.  Now you gotta wonder what would have happened if you really set your mind to it.  BTW, how'd you do on the 10k race?

(Also, I must have anger issues, because I really wanted to smack the tar outta diabetes guy as I read that.)

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson