Beginners and Beyond

Making a case for auto lapping (Read 66 times)

The mile markers are supposed to be accurate (assuming the course is certified, anyway).  I don't use manual lapping because I don't need something else to worry about and I'll probably forget to press it a few times... I just accept that I'm probably going to run longer than the race distance by my Garmin and adjust my pace accordingly.

(Kristin -- are you ready to run a 58:30 10K?!  )

Doesn't course certification refer to the total distance. I don't think the mile markers are part of the certification, but could be wrong.

I've never run a certified course, but there is one race I've done where I would trust the mile markers. But generally I just go by landmarks.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
    wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Doesn't course certification refer to the total distance. I don't think the mile markers are part of the certification, but could be wrong.

I've never run a certified course, but there is one race I've done where I would trust the mile markers. But generally I just go by landmarks.

Sometimes the mile and/or kilometer markers are included in the certification application. The IAAF and USATF have recognized record performances at intermediate distances, including Shalane Flanagan's recent 25K American Record en route at Berlin.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.