Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES: On second thought make that a double (Read 33 times)

DavePNW

Regarding the itch to run a marathon after your second half marathon, that sounds about right too! 

Well I did my first full 4 months after my first half...but if I knew better I would've waited....

Dave

happylily

I get what you mean, Eric.

Problem number 1: Every family is different, of course. My son was about your kids' age when I started traveling for races. I have no problem going to bed at 9:30/10 p.m. while son and SO are watching TV, as long as the sound is low and the lights are almost all off. I fall asleep quickly (maybe the stress of the day tires me) and they join me an hour or so later. For breakfast, I buy a bagel with some peanut butter at a Tim Horton the night before. I wake up two hours before race start. Eat my bagel and use the coffee provided by the hotel in the room. My SO is awake and helps me with my bib, etc... My son never wakes up. He sleeps like a rock and we leave him in the room (he's 16 now, but we did that when he was 12 as well). Two hours is PLENTY of time to get ready and get to the start of the Ottawa marathon. You can stay at the Victoria Park Suites Best Western for $189 ($170 if you have CAA). That gives you a suite with a closed bedroom and a living-room with a pull-out couch for the kids. Fridge, microwave, kitchen sink and dinner plates. Two TVs so you can sleep while your family is in the other room watching TV. It's a 5 minute walk from the hotel to the start.

Problem number 2: Get a treadmill. 

Problem 3: Yes, marathon training will kill you. That's why we do it. We are masochists. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

DavePNW

Cyber, you need a recovery period before jumping into a new training cycle. It's quite fine to take a week off, or run just 2 or 3 miles very slowly here and there (it could actually help you feel better).

Yes. You also might want to just do some walking for a few days.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I did not expect an grammar lesson when opening this thread, but it is always good to refresh the brain.

Happy birthday RG!!

Cyberic, my family tags along with me on out of town trips for races, but I have become very good at sneaking around the room/house to get ready :-) I only have a husband and a nearly 2 and half year old, they both sleep pretty deep. Luckily the hotel we are staying in up in Indy this November has a "privacy wall" between the "bedroom" and living room.:-)

Oh and 5 easy miles for me and Rocky this morning.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

Thanks for the English lesson. Really. I can't improve on what I don't know. And yes, it would be Ottawa. I still have time to make my decision, but three factors against going:

1 - Traveling. My family would most likely come with me, and we would sleep in a hotel room. I go to bed at 9h30 before a race and get up and eat breakfast at 4:30. That would be complicated in a hotel room, with the family.

2- Training. I run all winter long. I've done it for the past two winters, and will do it again this year. But some days it's not easy to get in a serious workout or a long run. Icy roads & sidewalks are a major problem. To be in marathon training during winter (no cap Wink ) sounds difficult.

3- Distance. This is less of a factor, as the distance will always be the same whenever I decide to race a marathon. But this weekend's half left me so exhausted that I am a little afraid of racing for double the distance.

1 - I did my first marathon that way. I agree not the best of logistics. It was a regular size hotel room with me, my wife & 2 kids. And the dog.  If you can find a race not requiring an overnight stay, may be better IMHO. May just depend on how good a sleeper you are in general; I am not one under the best of conditions.

Two hours is PLENTY of sleep to get before a marathon.

Maybe this is what Lily meant, because that's about how it worked out for me.

2 - what Lily said. The TM was my savior last winter, I lived on it.

3 - FDR said "we have nothing to fear but fear itself". That's BS, he never ran a marathon. Not sure I would tell you to be afraid, just be respectful of the challenge; it is not the same as double a half. Certainly you can do it if you train properly, although it will suck even then.

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow, so busy at work yesterday, didn't even have time to visit the forum.  Ended up working a 12-hour day as I did some short-notice projects that, of course, everyone needed immediately.    Hopefully, today will be a quieter work day.  Meanwhile....

Did two 5Ks over the weekend:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/da2f8f4d04ff430db7d068d4dcd24cbc/resume#focus

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/dc16840a4ec642b9ac377646ba9d231f/resume#focus

Non-running day on Monday.  This morning did one of the 5K routes around the university campus.  Weather was really SWEEEET.   62 degrees, dewpoint in the 50s, low humidity.   However, our summer is giving us a last gasp....92 degrees today...94 degrees tomorrow...and 95 degrees on Thursday, sheesh.  So some morning running this week.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

Two hours of sleep... LOL... That's crazy. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Zelanie

Eric, I took a week off after my PR HM, and I needed it.  But I didn't stretch or walk or anything, really, and that first run back was hell.  Hockey should help you there, though. Smile

We are staying in Portland the night before the marathon, and I won't feel too bad if I wake up any family members.  THEY can always go back to sleep after I leave.

6 today because taper or not, I need my 200 miles for September.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I guess the bitch at work did not like the bagels I brought for the staff today because she banged her office door and pull down my medal rack again.  Sigh.

Maybe you should pull down HER rack.....OUCH!  

DavePNW

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good morning LRB, Cy and RG! Happy birthday (this time for real  ), RG!

I have 11 tonight, including 2x3 miles at tempo.

Cyber, you need a recovery period before jumping into a new training cycle. It's quite fine to take a week off, or run just 2 or 3 miles very slowly here and there (it could actually help you feel better). Also, just a little secret between the two of us, do not use capital letters with seasons when they are used as nouns. You will sign up for a spring marathon, not a Spring marathon. A capital letter would be used if you said "The Fall 2014 semester is about to start". That's because then, the season is used in a title. Also, if you say "I'm considering signing up for a spring marathon", you're supposed to end your sentence with this: !!!!!!!!!!! Everybody does that, here.  Finally, which marathon are you considering? Ottawa?

I am planning on a Spring race and will Spring into action for it...although at my age, my old Spring is not as good as my young Spring was....    Yeah...my English teachers in school hated me too....

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Eric, I took a week off after my PR HM, and I needed it.  But I didn't stretch or walk or anything, really, and that first run back was hell.  Hockey should help you there, though. Smile

We are staying in Portland the night before the marathon, and I won't feel too bad if I wake up any family members.  THEY can always go back to sleep after I leave.

Nothing obsessive-compulsive about being a runner, huh Zelanie?    Congrats on your 200 miles for the month!

LRB

I actually drove (5 hours) and stayed overnight alone for my first marathon but I am a weirdo like that.

B-Plus

HOW ABOUT ALL CAPS? WHAT ARE THE RULES ON THAT?

HBD RG!

CY - DON'T BE AFRAID TO TAKE TIME OFF.

I'VE GOT A SWEET-ASS TEMPO TONIGHT.

LRB

HOW ABOUT ALL CAPS? WHAT ARE THE RULES ON THAT?

HBD RG!

CY - DON'T BE AFRAID TO TAKE TIME OFF.

I'VE GOT A SWEET-ASS TEMPO TONIGHT.

CAN YOU SAY THAT A LITTLE LOUDER PLEASE?