Beginners and Beyond

Sundailies Morning Brunch (Read 42 times)

Will run for scenery.

A repeat of last week:

2x 1mile (avg 38% climb)

#1 about 52 min

#2 about 57 min

I shaved about 5 minutes off my second mile.  Anybody else shave 5 minutes off their mile ?

The trail down was wonderful.  The ice & snow were mostly melted, so before the luge track of winter turns into the bone-dry dust and roller-bearing gravel of summer, it was the perfect running surface : soft and comfy, grippy but not sticky.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

StepbyStep-SH

OOTB - My prayers and sympathies!

For me today: 26.2 miles RATT-style (aka "Round and Round"), followed by about 200 miles driving home.
      Marathon time: 4:18:03. Would have liked to be under 4:15, but my calves got very angry the last six miles or so. I was on track and very consistently running a 4:05-4:10 pace for the first 20 miles, then started losing time. I think the total lack of elevation change (hence never a chance in stride angle), along with just not having enough total miles over the last couple months, took a toll. Still, I'm pleased with it, and it was fun to meet Heidi and Adam, along with the fantastic people at the race.
      My drive home was uneventful. I had good roads 3/4 of the way, though an hour away at my FIL's house (where DS is) they have blizzard conditions, pulled plows off the roads, etc...., so DS gets to spend another night with his grandpa.

And I have a quiet house and a bottle of wine.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Brrr - nice brunch

OOTB - sorry for your loss.

Beth - yuck, nice job toughing it out

D^2 - nice LR

Tom - glad you were able to enjoy that warmth

Basya - ouch, recover well from that fall

B+ - you will get back to it, I'm sure.  All in good time.

14.45, with 10 on the track and then 30min at MP on the TM, leaving myself just enough time to get to the theater for Catching Fire.  It was quite faithful to the book when it mattered, IMO.

jjs - 38%?? Did you have ropes and crampons?  Yikes.

Step - congrats on another marathon!  How were the logistics of running so far indoors handled?  That must be an awful snowstorm if it has sidelined the plows, enjoy your bottle of wine.

DavePNW

Step - great job!

Dave

Hip Redux

Nice, Shari!  And excellent 80s hair band reference. 

happylily

So happy for you, Step! It must have been quite different mentally. You did great!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Will run for scenery.

Step - Did you get dizzy ?  Were you veering off the left side of the road all the way home ?   Are we gonna see any pics ?

Jay - No ropes, no crampons.  Just lots and lots of time.  If it were 38% the whole way, it wouldn't be as hard.  Parts of it are "only" 10% or so, parts are well over 100%.  And each step is different. And then there's the dog poop.....

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

StepbyStep-SH

If I feel ambitious, maybe tomorrow I'll download Heidi's pics from FB, or I'll see when the official ones are available.
                    As for logistics, registration was capped at 120, and I think probably only about 100 people started, at most. They ask you to stay to the outside unless passing (though a few people refused to move from the 2nd to the third lane, even as groups of faster runners had to split around them to pass - grrr). There is one aid station, and they ask you to bring your own labeled refillable bottle(s). On one round, tell a volunteer what you want and they hand it to you next lap. It worked great, and by drinking from a bottle rather than a cup, I didn't have to slow down much.

We had chips on our ankle for timing and counting laps, and a screen by the mats would show you your split and lap count each time. With a 445-meter track, I didn't feel the turns so much mentally as I did in some muscles on the inside leg after a couple of hours.

We got to watch a 50k speed skating race (announcements said it was the US Championships?) on the ice oval inside our track. Needless to say, they covered 50k in less than half the time it took me to run a marathon.

And as for '80s hair band references: The first song they played over the PA system (no headphones allowed, but you got to request a song when you registered) was "Kickstart My Heart."

happylily

Really cool, Shari. Did you have to change direction every 30 minutes or so? I know that some indoor races require that.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

It was a long emotional day, yesterday, but very good to be around family.  My grandma truly was an amazing woman.

Family is awesome, and it is good to hear you enjoyed your time with them!  After losing my mother, my siblings and our families had such a great time being together that we began meeting every other month or so either at someones house, at a picnic, bowling or whatever.

It was too bad that it took a funeral and loss for us to do it, but it has been going strong for 7 years now.  It is cool watching my nieces and nephews become aunts and uncles and getting on with their lives and what not.

It was the final and among the most lasting gifts from my mother, and yes, life does indeed go on.  But you will always have the lessons and memories.

StepbyStep-SH

Really cool, Shari. Did you have to change direction every 30 minutes or so? I know that some indoor races require that.

All the left (counter-clockwise). And I can tell, because it was my left calf that has cramped the most. Which is good, because I could not have driven home if my right leg were cramping like my left did.

LRB

And I have a quiet house and a bottle of wine.

Helloooooo mamma!

Congrats on coming oh so close to running your goal time in what seems such an incredibly difficult way to race!

Wassup peeps!  I faced a steady snowfall, a temperature of 10 degrees, a wind chill of -5, and steady winds of 13 MPH - otherwise known as da fuck?!

It is one thing to get dressed and walk out the door to run in that shit, it is another altogether to drive an hour through near white out conditions, slipping and sliding along the way and seeing cars in ditches, only to get to your destination and then run, ugh!

Honestly, it took every fiber in my being to get out of that stupid truck and head out into that shit, but I did, and it was tough!  There was fresh snow for about the first 3 miles until the plows came through and cleared the path, too bad they could not take the wind with them!

That run was a straight up beeyotch, but I got it done, and in a sick perverted way, I am glad I did.  10 easy miles never hurt so good!

Now it is back to the treadmill for probably the next four days but with two tough but gratifying outdoor runs in my pocket this weekend, I can handle that.

Afterwards, my lady and I had pizza at the movies (sans the wine for me) to see I Frankenstein.  It is really an action packed movie with a different twist on what we are used to from that story.  I liked it!

Now I am off to shovel the snow I ignored all day!  lol

Hip Redux

LRB - I call those "mental toughness" days. Training your mind to deal with adversity.    Good stuff Smile

Family is awesome, and it is good to hear you enjoyed your time with them!  After losing my mother, my siblings and our families had such a great time being together that we began meeting every other month or so either at someones house, at a picnic, bowling or whatever.

It was too bad that it took a funeral and loss for us to do it, but it has been going strong for 7 years now.  It is cool watching my nieces and nephews become aunts and uncles and getting on with their lives and what not.

It was the final and among the most lasting gifts from my mother, and yes, life does indeed go on.  But you will always have the lessons and memories.

Love this.  Great post, Rick.