Beginners and Beyond

Switching up focus (Read 43 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

LRB, in some ways, I probably have done the increase miles, then add quality, both in the winter of 2015 and 2016. 2016 probably more so because once I decided to run a full, I only did some M or HM pace, mostly just kept it easy for about 8 weeks heading up to the race. When I dropped mileage after the race, a lot of the issues I had been having went away. It was a big ah-ha moment. So I looked back and figured out when issues started or ended and was able to figure out it had something to do with either total time, frequency (6 days instead of 5) or some combo of the two.

Docket, I actually took the opposite approach with the shorter runs. Essentially if I am going to do a workout, then the run following it would be no more than an hour, which when sore & tired (or it's hot out), does not amount to a lot of distance.

Lauren, I ordered the book. It should be interesting to see another view. There is a whole lot of stuff on the web about how endurance sports= bad for hormones and you should not do them and only lift heavy things. Typically followed by a sales pitch for their special program.

Effort for all. For workouts, I have a pace inind, but I don't look at my watch during. Easy, I don't push, at all.

Just a couple thoughts... I don’t like time based training because 13.1 or 26.2 is the same distance for a someone running 5min miles or 15min miles. Now you say you don’t look at your watch during workouts? This is a big problem IMO because if your targeting goal pace for X amount of miles you need to know if your hitting it or not. I believe the tempo type work which is raising your lactate threshold is really king for the half. If your simply running by feel you may not be getting any or all the benefits of this type of training. Long runs you should be running in Jack Daniels specified range. Running what feels easy may not be stresssing your aerobic system enough. What about interval work? Are you looking at how long it just took to run it or still by feel? I think it’s extremely important that your hitting the times the calculator says you need to be hitting. Personally if I ran by feel I would probably never see my lactate threshold or be anywhere near the target interval times. Whether you pursue shorter distance races for a while or continue with the Half these things are all important. I wish ya all the best!

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Half Crazy K 2.0

Jay, typically I glance at the watch a few times, but focus on how it feels/effort. Typically the pace winds up being in the range that the workout called for.  Heck, some of them this summer wound up faster than planned.

About the time based workouts. Yes, the race distance is the same. But you have to take into account time under stress and not do too much trying to chase miles.

sdWhiskers

It's interesting to read your background as your 5K PR is ~20 seconds faster than mine but my HM PR is about 5 min faster than yours, on about 35 mpw. I think what has helped me, with the HM at least, has been the workouts that my coach gives me. Week after week, she has me pushing the pace in a way that I couldn't (make myself) do on my own. So while it is important to run by effort, I'm the first to admit that I don't always know the difference between efforts! I can find easy pace no problem, but 5K vs 10K vs HMP can be quite the crapshoot sometimes. So I do better aiming for specific paces for workouts. Also, I've found lately that running 6 days a week, even at the same mileage as 5 days, has made me fitter.

Regarding running by time vs mileage, I sometimes feel like "fast people" don't quite understand the struggle. It's like when there's discussion about needing fuel for a HM and many folks are like "no its too short". Well, if I'm running for over 2 hours, my body probably has different needs than my coach who is done in 80 mins (which for me would be only 7 miles and then no, I wouldn't need fuel either). My short quick recovery run of the week is 4 miles which still takes me at least 45 mins.

I have been trying to run sub2 for the last 2 years and just feel over it so I've also switched my focus this year: marathon in the fall then 5K/10K in the spring. If you feel in a rut, then absolutely change your goals! Everyone is trying to find what works for them and it seems like you have figured out something that doesn't which is valuable information. If you return to the HM at some point, try switching up your workouts with a completely different plan/approach. More mileage is not always the answer. 

Cyberic

Jay, books from top coaches advocate how important specific paces are, like you're saying, so it must be good.

But I do not try to hit paces all the time. I will adjust the pace depending on the workout, just as I adjust the pace to the length of the race. If I run 200s with lots of recoveries, I'll run them as fast as I can while keeping good form. If I'm running 1600s with 1 minute recovery, I'll do them as fast as I think I can go and finish the last ones as fast as the first ones.

I drifted away from specific paces (T, I, R). I obviously use pace, as I want later intervals to be as fast or faster as the early ones, but I don't use paces from books anymore.

I might be wrong in doing so, as I've read Daniels, and understand what he says on how going too fast is a waste of energy with no added benefit, but I still do it my way more and more.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It's interesting to read your background as your 5K PR is ~20 seconds faster than mine but my HM PR is about 5 min faster than yours, on about 35 mpw. I think what has helped me, with the HM at least, has been the workouts that my coach gives me. Week after week, she has me pushing the pace in a way that I couldn't (make myself) do on my own. So while it is important to run by effort, I'm the first to admit that I don't always know the difference between efforts! I can find easy pace no problem, but 5K vs 10K vs HMP can be quite the crapshoot sometimes. So I do better aiming for specific paces for workouts. Also, I've found lately that running 6 days a week, even at the same mileage as 5 days, has made me fitter.

Regarding running by time vs mileage, I sometimes feel like "fast people" don't quite understand the struggle. It's like when there's discussion about needing fuel for a HM and many folks are like "no its too short". Well, if I'm running for over 2 hours, my body probably has different needs than my coach who is done in 80 mins (which for me would be only 7 miles and then no, I wouldn't need fuel either). My short quick recovery run of the week is 4 miles which still takes me at least 45 mins.

I have been trying to run sub2 for the last 2 years and just feel over it so I've also switched my focus this year: marathon in the fall then 5K/10K in the spring. If you feel in a rut, then absolutely change your goals! Everyone is trying to find what works for them and it seems like you have figured out something that doesn't which is valuable information. If you return to the HM at some point, try switching up your workouts with a completely different plan/approach. More mileage is not always the answer. 

This!  Between my coach and onemile, I have been trying to target faster paces on hill and interval workouts.  Paces I've never even tried before.  Sometimes you fail, but trying to push yourself past what you thought possible helps.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

So here's my take on effort vs pace. Pace is fine if you are running on a track, treadmill or Miami flat. There aren't many flat stretches of road near me. So I know intervals with more uphill will be slower and downhill will be faster.

So one other thought on pace versus effort. My race times have been all over the map. For example, there is about a 2 minute difference between 5ks this summer. I was using the faster one for suggested paces, but then knew that when it was hot, I would have to adjust.

sdWhiskers, I definitely agree with you that not all faster runners get the challenge of miles when slower.