Beginners and Beyond

TUESDAILIES: It Ain't Friday Yet (Read 35 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

Hi!

I ran 3.5 at lunch.

T-minus 5 days. I'm trying to not freak out. I'm not racing it - I'm just going to be in pure survival mode - so why do I feel like I'm putting so much pressure on myself? I could use some tips to relax about it. Two of my (fast, male) friends are meeting me at mile 21 to help me finish. I think I'm worried about going "too slow" and disappointing them. But, I mean... they're doing the relay then coming back for me. So I don't know why I feel weird.

LRB

could use some tips to relax about it.

When you think back on your training, there was that first 14 miler, the first 16 miler, first 18, first 20 and for me, first 22 mile run.

We are all different but for me, my first marathon was nothing more than the next big run, in a long line of big runs.  Because when you ran them, those other runs were HUGE!  Of course there is the pomp and circumstance of it being an official event, but do not let the moment overtake you.

I always advise to use each long run as a sort of dress rehearsal, so that when the big day comes, there really is not much to it.  You literally go from your bed, to your car, to the start line, to pain and agony, to a huge sense of accomplishment, to it being a distant memory.  No different than when you ran a given long distance for the first time.

I mean think about that; a week from today, you will be two days removed from it.

Just stay confident, and believe in the things you did to get to this point but above all else remember, you want this!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Just stay confident, and believe in the things you did to get to this point but above all else remember, you want the medal and 26.2 magnet!

FYP. Big grin

Kidding. Sort of. That's some good advice, thanks. I wanted to go to 22 in training but it never happened. 6 more miles on top of the 20s I struggled on... is daunting, to say the least. My 20s were never easy. Even on my best one, I ran the first 14 miles straight then had to take walk breaks. I am lacking in endurance. I didn't train as much as I should have... but of course, that's all been done (or not done). I can't change it now.

Jess runs for bacon

Hi!

I ran 3.5 at lunch.

T-minus 5 days. I'm trying to not freak out. I'm not racing it - I'm just going to be in pure survival mode - so why do I feel like I'm putting so much pressure on myself? I could use some tips to relax about it. Two of my (fast, male) friends are meeting me at mile 21 to help me finish. I think I'm worried about going "too slow" and disappointing them. But, I mean... they're doing the relay then coming back for me. So I don't know why I feel weird.

You need a beer Surprised If either of those guys thinks you are too slow, then I'll punch them in the face. Which is an empty threat, because I know they won't and they are going to keep you going. Just like you did for me. Don't feel weird!

Today was an SRD but I walked a slow five miles on the TM so I didn't sit on my butt all day. Plus I am going out to dinner to ight and could use some extra calories burned.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Glad your run went well, Tom.  Awww, what's wrong with running in unknown towns?  I love doing that...getting lost and then finding my way back, exploring along the way...fun stuff!

I actually don't mind running in new places. However, with my half marathon coming up on Sunday, and with the short (overnight) stay in Beckley, and with the very hilly terrain, I think it's best to avoid being too adventurous this time around. I'll probably go for a long hike/walk with the camera instead.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

April you will be fine.  It's just another long run.  You can do it!

Damaris

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

No surgery for Hammy today.  YAY!  But they will look at it again next Monday to make sure.  It has shrunk so much and he isn't limping and it is just a scab.  Since it is a hard area under the scab they want to make sure it goes away too.  So he got his break and didn't have to have surgery today.  Now let's hope no surgery next week either.

Marjorie

scottydawg, congratulations on the race! Enjoy your well-earned rest day.

TaperilRunner, terrific 3.5. My advice? Eat well.

Yay, Hammy!

Baboon

delicate flower

Hi!

I ran 3.5 at lunch.

Logically, there is no reason to be nervous.  You've trained, you've put in the work, you'll have no problem finishing.  Everybody will be proud and happy for you no matter how you finish.  Like Docket said, it's just another long run.

I tell ya though, the first time you cross that marathon finish line...there is nothing else like it.  Smile  *sigh*  I want to run another marathon.  Sad

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

BTW, 8.3 miles done at 7:54 pace.  Really good run today.  I ran one of my hilly routes and averaged under 8:00 pace for the first time ever on one of those routes.  I am not sure how to categorize that run, so I'll call it a tempo/hill run.  It was a hard effort.

<3

Robert31320

Team TJ

Rest day for me.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Phil, excellent 8.3.

Robert, enjoy your RD.

Ugh. Side stitch. I'm on the AMT for forty-five minutes.

LRB

Kidding. Sort of. That's some good advice, thanks. I wanted to go to 22 in training but it never happened. 6 more miles on top of the 20s I struggled on... is daunting, to say the least. My 20s were never easy. Even on my best one, I ran the first 14 miles straight then had to take walk breaks. I am lacking in endurance. I didn't train as much as I should have... but of course, that's all been done (or not done). I can't change it now

Like you, I used to think that running continuously was important, but the first time I actually ran  8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 or 20 miles continuously, was during the marathon!  Time on your feet is much more important.

Every one of us has horror stories regarding long runs during marathon training.  I hallucinated during the last three miles of my first 20 mile run, and had a bad reaction to a caffeine infused gel during an 18 mile run and had to walk the last mile and a half, and there are others.

The point is, that come  race day, none of that matters.  It is a new day, a new run, run under an entire different set of circumstances.  Is failure an option?  Sure, but not because of what happened during training.  No, you are usually more prepared for hardships on the big day because of things you endured during training.

And for what it's worth, I too ran for a magnet!  I know it is cheesy, but I wanted that fucker soooooo bad!  The guy tried to get me to buy one at the expo but I wasn't having it!  Didn't want to jinx anything, but yeah, proud moment when I finally got it!

meaghansketch

Basya- Thanks for starting us off!  Enjoy your gym workout!

Damaris- Enjoy your 800s!

Baboon- Glad you got to run outside!  Sounds like a tempo run to me!  1:45 is a great goal and if you can do an 8:00 tempo on hills, you're definitely in the ballpark.

Kristin- Hope work is good!

Dave- Enjoy your easy miles!

Rick- Nice run!  I like 'Lively' as a description.  Better than dead-legged!

Oski- Ugh, hope you feel better soon Sad

Hobbit- Oh no!  Hope your knee is OK.

Zelanie- Happy RD!

Shari- You get to use that excuse for at least a week!  I say milk it if you can!

Andrew- Beautiful weather!  Not surprised at the soreness, I think it's just the cumulative miles.

Tom- Nice run!

granite- I love rain running too... As long as it's not too cold.  And only until chafing sets in.  Then it's a little less fun!

Marjorie- Nice run, hope your dog is OK!

jjs- Enjoy your run, hope everything feels OK!

Scott- Enjoy your rest day! You deserve it!

April- It is normal to be freaking out a bit, and it is a little stressful to have people meeting you... Whatever your fears, try to imagine yourself in their shoes...  Your friend is running a marathon!  Awesome!  She is probably going to be tired at mile 21, she might be feeling strong, she might not... You would be excited about supporting her, however she's feeling, and you would just be thinking of the best way to help her get to the finish line, not judging her about her speed, or whatever... Right?  That is how they are feeling.  You are prepared, you are ready-- how many people have done marathons on a lot less preparation?  YOU CAN DO THIS.

lilac- Nice walk!  I can't walk on the TM, I get too bored and have to start running!

5.3 easy/recovery for me this morning.  Felt fine for the most part, just a little slow after my race yesterday.  The race organization very awesomely emailed me a coupon for 25% off a future 10K in December.  The only problem is it's the day after one of my favorite races in the year, a 15K.  I'll have to decide between them.  I think I'll probably volunteer at whichever one I choose not to race.  Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the 10K-- I REALLY want to break that PR, and it's 6 weeks after my marathon, which gives me plenty of time to recover and even to do a couple weeks of 10K-specific training.

Hip Redux

Hi!

I ran 3.5 at lunch.

Was it you who said that was the main reason you never liked team sports growing up in that thread a while back?  The disappointment factor?  I forgot...

Honest to Betsy, friends will never be disappointed in someone going after a big goal.  I've been a spectator a few times now at marathons and I don't care at all what speed friends are going, just that they finish in one piece!  4 hours or 5 hours or 6... I am happy for them.   So really, don't worry about that part of it (easier said than done, I know!).  Your friends will likely be worried they will let YOU down than the other way around, anyway!

As far as the training, listen to the smart people in this thread.   Smile

As for me, 2.5 miles of blah.  Groin was unhappy, back was unhappy... blah blah blah.  Pretty soon my avatar will need to read "Professional Whiner".