Beginners and Beyond

Patriots Mondailies (Read 23 times)

DavePNW

And once again the TV announcers were saying what a beautiful day it was for the marathon.

Every damn time.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Hey I beat my bib by 5,000.  That seems good.

<3

DavePNW

Hey I beat my bib by 5,000.  That seems good.

Nice work! I bet you passed a lot of people in the later miles.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Weatherunderground.com was reporting 70º around the time you finished, and that's the temp in the shade.

The starting line announcer said it was 70 degrees when our wave started.  Oof.

<3

DavePNW

Baboon - how did it feel vs 2019 (when I ran it)? Seems like similar temps and sun, but not sure about today's humidity - it was bad in '19.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Running rest day, did do an upper body workout.

Baboon, nicec job in less than ideal conditions.

Fred, I would think there is a balance of finding a time when there is less likelihood of snow vs too warm. I don't know if the Boston area is similar to Baltimore, where a 20 mile difference can be the difference between rain and 6 inches of snow. Since multiple jurisidictions are involved, I'd think they want to avoid snow since any 1 area calling a weather advisory probably cancels the whole thing.

Baboon

delicate flower

Baboon - how did it feel vs 2019 (when I ran it)? Seems like similar temps and sun, but not sure about today's humidity - it was bad in '19.

The conditions for the two years felt similar, though today felt hotter.  There was no cloud cover today.  100% getting blasted by the sun, and I've got the sunburn to go with it. There was also no tailwind like the forecast promised.  It finally started kicking up after I finished.

ETA:  Being only three minutes off my PR on a day like this feels like a big accomplishment, as does running a BQ at Boston.  I can't wait to see the BQ numbers from today.  Last year over half the field ran a BQ.  I am guessing 25-30% today.

<3

DavePNW

The conditions for the two years felt similar, though today felt hotter.  There was no cloud cover today.  100% getting blasted by the sun, and I've got the sunburn to go with it. There was also no tailwind like the forecast promised.  It finally started kicking up after I finished.

ETA:  Being only three minutes off my PR on a day like this feels like a big accomplishment, as does running a BQ at Boston.  I can't wait to see the BQ numbers from today.  Last year over half the field ran a BQ.  I am guessing 25-30% today.

And you run Boston exactly during the peak hours of 10-2 when they tell you to stay out of the sun. Forget B of A, they should be sponsored by a melanoma clinic. We had a lot of sun in 2019 too, but IIRC not till the second half. That was my toughest race (aside from my first), although like you I felt my time was respectable under the conditions. In fact despite having run 5 faster marathons, and my current PR being 12 minutes faster than that time, it remains my fastest spring marathon to date. Oh man I hope I’m not still saying that in 2 weeks. Spring marathons are a bitch. 

Yeah those BQ numbers will be bad. The only thing helping them will be that you had to be BQ-5 just to get in.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

And you run Boston exactly during the peak hours of 10-2 when they tell you to stay out of the sun.

How quickly we forget that for many years the traditional starting time for Boston was noon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.