Beginners and Beyond

Th-th-th-th-thursDAILIES (Read 42 times)

MothAudio

Heh, from my HM Saturday, sprinting to the finish.  PAINFACE!  Big grin

<< heel striker

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Waiting for my stress test. Cardio doc got me in immediately. I do have sporadic chest pains, yes. I think that combination - nearly passing out with chest pain - is likely why the docs are all a flutter of activity. I had an EKG a few years ago when I had some rapid heartbeat episodes and pain and they weren't concerned then since everything else was normal.

Hopefully it's something easily identifiable and solvable Oski. Good luck to you!

It's funny that doctors can sense the urgency in something and clear their schedules. Early this year I had a scare with nut cancer and my doctor got me in within an hour. It's was mind-boggling.

- Andrew

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

12.5 cuz that seems to be my number this week.

Marjorie

Dad on the run.

Oski - That's scary! I have a cousin who is 18 that has Supraventicular Tachycardia. His heart rate has gotten up to 280 before! It was to the point where he needed surgery (Catheter Ablation). The Dr. told him as long as his heart behaved after the procedure he could continue with sports and running. He runs XC for his school but the dr requires him to wear a HRM so they can keep an eye on his heart behavior.

The heart is a scary organ to have going all crazy on you! I hope yours is nothing major like that (I'm sure if it was you would have know about it way before now Smile ) Just keep us informed and let us know what they say.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jess runs for bacon

Oski, hopefully the stress test will clear things up for you.

Pink, good luck at your appointment!

D, glad you are back to work and that MCM is still on!

I just entered the lottery for the NYC half. Why not?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Heck, I'd be in pain too if I ran at your pace!

Congrats, actually you are looking pretty strong and determined there!

Heh, from my HM Saturday, sprinting to the finish.  PAINFACE!  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, heck, Andrew, at your speedy pace, you could probably run nekkid and stay quite warm at 45 degrees. Wink   So Man Up, Buttercup and get out there and run!  Joking

Easy miles AND hill sprints!  Yeah, that'll keep the legs warm.  Hope your strength class went well, Step!

Glad you will get in very soon to see the doctor, Sarah.

Dang, Oski, one thing after another!  Maybe you can have the doctor make an appointment with YOU and he can go on a run with you and monitor you... that would be a good stress test, right? Joking  Glad your EKG was normal, though, that's  a good thing.

Man, FreeSoul, an 8-year old lab died of a heart attack in a race?  That sucks!  Guess I missed that thread.  Was the dog not trained to run that far, or morbidly obese or something?

I was a bit late for work today so I jog/walked the last 3 blocks.   B-Plus, did any of your co-workers hand you deodorant shortly thereafter? Wink

Glad you are going to the doctor, Kristin.

Congrats, MarjorieAnn on getting your number this week and working it!

LRB didn't come back...guess his PT must've really kicked his butt this morning!

Good luck getting into NYC, lilac, hope it works out for you!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

For those concerned....gastritis has unfortunately been a recurring issue for me for about 5 years. I've been to several doctors including a gastroenterologist to rule out gallstones, ulcers, cancer, ect and have had lots of tests...bloodwork, ultrasounds, have been scoped ect.  The final conclusion is that I have a very sensitive stomach lining that gets irritated easily and inflamed. It usually occurs after a stomach virus or when I've had to take a lot of medication for something. I haven't had it in over a year though. I'm going to the doctor on Saturday to get the prescription that always helps it go away (omeprezol) and see if he thinks any other tests need to be done at this time. 

Good luck Pink!

Did I talk to you about reflux when we met?  Check it out.  I take medication every day to keep it in check.  Omeprazol to me, works as a temporary thing, but Pantoprazole works better for me.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Not during the race, a week and 3 days later. Apparently he got loose from his owner while on a walk Friday night October 4, and on Saturday morning October 5, around mile 3 he joined the runners of the race without an owner and did the rest of the race all the way to the finish. News outlets say 8 years old, but his FB page says he was 10, and 7+ is senior years for dogs, this boy definitely had some weight on him like most older, non-active labs do. I am sure he was ever barely walked more than 5-10 miles a week so it wouldn't surprise me that the half marathon distance whether it was 13 or 10 miles did have something to do with his heart attack. Rocky, my 4 year old Cattle dog mix could easily do 10-13 miles with a group of runners now, but I know it would hurt him severely as he is only up to 4 miles during runs. Dogs need to build up stamina and endurance just like us, and I am sure concrete/asphalt is a lot harder on a dog with no shoes than it is to us. Poor boy, but at least he did something worthwhile and became famous around the internet world for it.

Well, heck, Andrew, at your speedy pace, you could probably run nekkid and stay quite warm at 45 degrees. Wink   So Man Up, Buttercup and get out there and run!  Joking

Easy miles AND hill sprints!  Yeah, that'll keep the legs warm.  Hope your strength class went well, Step!

Glad you will get in very soon to see the doctor, Sarah.

Dang, Oski, one thing after another!  Maybe you can have the doctor make an appointment with YOU and he can go on a run with you and monitor you... that would be a good stress test, right? Joking  Glad your EKG was normal, though, that's  a good thing.

Man, FreeSoul, an 8-year old lab died of a heart attack in a race?  That sucks!  Guess I missed that thread.  Was the dog not trained to run that far, or morbidly obese or something?

I was a bit late for work today so I jog/walked the last 3 blocks.   B-Plus, did any of your co-workers hand you deodorant shortly thereafter? Wink

Glad you are going to the doctor, Kristin.

Congrats, MarjorieAnn on getting your number this week and working it!

LRB didn't come back...guess his PT must've really kicked his butt this morning!

Good luck getting into NYC, lilac, hope it works out for you!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Waiting for my stress test. Cardio doc got me in immediately. I do have sporadic chest pains, yes. I think that combination - nearly passing out with chest pain - is likely why the docs are all a flutter of activity. I had an EKG a few years ago when I had some rapid heartbeat episodes and pain and they weren't concerned then since everything else was normal.

Hope they find an explanation so you can start treating in.  Good luck.

Damaris

Hip Redux

Echo results won't be back for a few days, so for now, I sit and wait!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Echo results won't be back for a few days, so for now, I sit and wait!

Grrrr.

Damaris

Dad on the run.

Oski - How did the stress test go? I'm sure you finished with ease Wink

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Good luck Oski!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

Oski - How did the stress test go? I'm sure you finished with ease Wink

That sucker is tough.   She pushed me to the very high end of the test, to see if she could recreate last night's episode - but she couldn't.   I was at the max of what I could do - the incline was way up there.   She was impressed though lol

The only thing I know at the moment is that I have an abnormal EKG (don't know what my PCP was looking at this morning) and that it stayed abnormal throughout the stress test.   She's concerned about left ventrical hypertrophy and says I have a "soft murmur".    The Echo will give us the LVH diagnosis, I guess, since it will measure the thickness of the heart.

Of course, Dr. Google tells me that one thing LVH can be is from that medical condition that causes young athletes to drop dead.  That certainly makes me not want to run until the results are back....