Beginners and Beyond

Peculiar Penguin Weekend (Read 24 times)

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Did 6 miles yesterday and the shin was OK with it. Rest day today, being lazy before I jump into HM training tomorrow - 6ish with either hills or pickups, we'll see where my feet take me. Lifting at some point tomorrow too.

Zelanie

Zel - how is your weight now compared to during marathon training?  I notice that when I gain a bit of weight (even just 5 lbs) I feel sluggish/slow.  I'm sure that you'll get through this!

Saph, that's a possibility.  I've been struggling a bit lately.  I'm about 9 pounds over my lowest ever (when I was running my PRs), and 5 pounds up from my usual.  So that will be even more motivation to keep focused.  My run today started off sluggish, but towards the end I was feeling warmed up and a bit better.

Brilliant

I feel bad because I'm definitely not pulling my weight for my 2015in2015 team but I'm hoping to do much better next week.  ...

No worries, I'm running extra miles for us in January. Big grin

I still have the scratchy & drippy throat, but it hasn't turned into a full-blown cold - maybe just the change in weather?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Very Peculiar Penguins...

I was having a good weekend...nice run on Saturday, good run today...Seattle won yesterday....and now I am having an EXCELLENT weekend...cuz the Damn Dallas Cowboys are going home! Yay!

Did a 3.5 mile run/walk yesterday at Fort Sam Houston.  36 degrees, slight drizzle, 'feels like' 33.  I even wore SHORTS, lol.  Plus a long-sleeved running shirt with a base layer, cap, and gloves.   When I got back to the Fort Sam gym from where I started and came in the front door,  the front desk guy looked at the outside temp on his phone and said to me "Are you crazy running in shorts out there in 36 degrees?"  lol.   This is pretty much the South Texan attitude....anything below 45 is 'long pants' weather.   I actually felt pretty good for my whole run/walk, and comfortable.  Guess I am getting better at not being a total 'cold-weather wimp', lol.

Sunday, did 3.5 miles of hills.  Compared to Saturday,  Sunday weather was great....ran at about 11:30 a.m.....42 degrees, and the sun was even starting to peek out.  No wind either, and no rain, nice.    Tomorrow, San Antonio is back to sunny and 63 degrees, go figure.  Crazy South Texas weather.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

on my way to badass

Z-I think there is a mental recovery from a big race that is not discussed enough. Big race is a relative term. A first 5K could be a big race. A huge effort in any event, I think, often brings on a malaise(mental). I had it after my first HM. Diet has been really tough since(holidays didn't help). Setting new goals hasn't helped. Please discuss Penguins!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Zelanie - hang in there. Like so many others things in life, this too shall pass.

Sapf - congrats on your race! I still don't think I've ever really "raced" a race. Other than tracking my pace and trying for a specific time, I think I am still just running it.

Scotty - where DO you get those pics??

Brilliant - glad you are dodging the worst of it.

SF - Setting goals for me is a big motivator as it keeps me accountable. I don't think I have enough experience with the backside of racing to add anything to a race hangover discussion. As I mentioned above, I'm still not sure I actually "race".

AFM today I ran 12 miles. Other than 2 half marathons, this is only the third time I've run this distance. I had no walk breaks, was hungry as hell the last 4 miles and came home and slept (or passed out) for an hour. Man, that's hard work. I'm treating the batch of homemade tapioca pudding on my stove as recovery nectar.

Tomorrow, rest day! Woohoo! No weights or anything!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

on my way to badass

Way to get it done Kathleen! And thanks for adding to the discussion.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

From the Internet.

Z-I think there is a mental recovery from a big race that is not discussed enough. Big race is a relative term. A first 5K could be a big race. A huge effort in any event, I think, often brings on a malaise(mental). I had it after my first HM. Diet has been really tough since(holidays didn't help). Setting new goals hasn't helped. Please discuss Penguins!

I haven't encountered this post-race yet, though I'm curious to see whether it happens after my goal races this year. I set a 5K PR in 2012 and entered an injury-induced slump after that and I didn't really race anything again until this fall, when I had surgery the day after my last race. Lots of time off and sleep after that, but for a reason not related to racing.

GinnyinPA

Z - if the fatigue continues you might want to get thyroid and iron levels checked.

No running today.  We went to Merritt Island, my favorite place in Florida, to try to photograph some of the wildlife.  Five mile hike around lots of ponds and wet marshes - ended up with pix of herons, egrets, ibis, purple galinules, spoonbills, coots, etc. etc. plus a black snake and a raccoon.

Zelanie

Interesting discussion.  I've had a hard time getting my head into racing all last year, really.  I at least felt like training was going well.  I don't know that I've had a big goal race before that I've had a letdown from, in that I was injured after my first HM, so by the time I could run again, I was just thrilled to be out there at all.  Of course, the marathon seems to have done a number on me physically as well as mentally.  I can not wait until we get a bit more daylight in the evenings!  Soon(ish)!

My friend who had heatstroke and ended up in the ER after our goal HM last spring says that she was feeling really blah and sluggish for a couple of months after that, but says it pretty much came back overnight after a certain period of time.

I seem to be keeping my iron levels pretty good with supplements, but thyroid might make sense to check the next time I'm in.  Both of my parents have to take it, but so far I've always been good.