Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #17 (Read 32 times)

DavePNW

In my case, at least, my English is not so good. Let's say I would not enter an English competition with you guys even if idioms are not allowed, or rather I would not expect to place very high. I have a huge vocabulary deficit.

One would not agree with that at all based on your forum activity. The English is always perfect and there seems to be no vocabulary deficit. Speaking is a whole different world of course and I can’t comment on that.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Or people who could care less about heal striking.

Maybe they really do care a lot!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

One would not agree with that at all based on your forum activity. The English is always perfect and there seems to be no vocabulary deficit. Speaking is a whole different world of course and I can’t comment on that.

Except for his slight accent, he spoke English perfectly when I met him.

Damaris

DavePNW

Or people who could care less about heal striking.

You know, according to the dictionary makers it’s now official that “I could care less” means the same thing as “I couldn’t care less”. One more step towards the collapse of civilization as we know it.

Dave

DavePNW

Except for his slight accent, he spoke English perfectly when I met him.

You’re judging accents now? 

Dave

sdWhiskers

You know, according to the dictionary makers it’s now official that “I could care less” means the same thing as “I couldn’t care less”. One more step towards the collapse of civilization as we know it.

RunningOnSand

I agree--Cy, your English (on the forums here) is superb. Trés bien! (And sorry if I missed any of the accents--I haven't written French for a loooooong time).

Onemile, glad the humidity is going to go away for you--sounds like you have a great forecast for your race!

I ran 6.1 miles on the TM, and despite my strength training this morning, I did not die. In fact, it was a decent run! AND, the Stryd started out being 1min/mi slower at the beginning, but then a strange thing happened! It started catching up a bit to the treadmill's pace. Not all the way, but it was the first time that I've seen it near being 30seconds/mi slower than the TM. Which makes me feel a lot better, too.

I made a delicious herb mayo that we'll put on BLT's tonight, and I also made an amazing White Bean Hummus, for my veggies. I cannot wait to dig in. It's a book club night, and also HH with the neighbors, and both usually call for alcohol & lots of snacking, but since I'm "eating better" I kind of don't know what to do. I don't want to call it a diet, b/c it's more of just getting back to eating healthy (I fall off from time to time, like every December ), but right now when it's the beginning and I am actively trying to lose weight, I'm trying to be more strict, so social settings are hard. Maybe I'll just drink a shitton of water and pretend it's wine. 

RunningOnSand

Cyberic

I mostly speak about running here, and my vocabulary is probably pretty good in that area. General stuff also. But there are areas where I have no idea.

Let's say an area of activity does not interest you at all, over your life you'll still hear co-workers talk about it, family members, a friend's girlfriend... You pick up vocabulary that way. Since my life happens in French, my vocabulary is limited to areas of interest of mine.

But thank you.

Speaking is a little tougher. When I'm writing I can "jam" for a few seconds, looking for the correct word that just doesn't pop in my mind. I also have Google. But when I'm speaking, it has to flow.

I was in a Microsoft office in Toronto once, and I was the one from my company explaining to the Microsoft dudes who we are and what we do, and when I finished a guy from Microsoft told me I had a great presentator voice.

MTA: As for my accent, I could have less of an accent (musical ear) but my speech would lose some clarity.

Cyberic

I never made that mistake because "I could care less" makes no sense. It has to be "I couldn't care less". It is a little ridiculous to "accept" something that doesn't make sense.

DavePNW

I never made that mistake because "I could care less" makes no sense. It has to be "I couldn't care less". It is a little ridiculous to "accept" something that doesn't make sense.

You are correct because you are being logical. But idiomatic expressions don’t have to make logical sense. Think of it as sarcasm. If you ask me whether I want to do a 20-miler in 35-degree rain tomorrow, and I say “oh yeah, that’s totally what I want to do”, it probably means I absolutely don’t.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You’re judging accents now? 

Yes, but only because I don't have any. 

Damaris

Cyberic

The worse English accent for me, meaning the hardest to understand, is from the Indians, and there's plenty in the computers industry. Some of them I simply don't understand. My ear never gets accustomed to their accent.