Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins love running in the rain! (Read 27 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

When you actually post it, RA will downsize it Big grin

Wanted to post a pic of the new K3's, but just copies giantsized on the ipad.  They have greenyellow forefoot and blackred heel.  Kind of hard to tie with black laces on a black tongue.  Matched my black hat.  :-(

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

When you actually post it, RA will downsize it Big grin

It's magic !!!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

These?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

hog4life

I may have to try them again, nice!

Here's the rain pic, temp was 42, feels like 38, wind blowing sideways, I was miserably cold for some reason. I had planned to take my jacket off, but that didn't happen.

tracilynn

Mitch, I remember you racing that day and how cold it was. Miserable.

jerry , nice shoes!  Love them. I love looking at everyone's new shoesCool

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Mitch, I remember you racing that day and how cold it was. Miserable.

jerry , nice shoes!  Love them. I love looking at everyone's new shoesCool

Should I get black socks?

tracilynn

Black socks will make your ankles look too skinny Big grin

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Black socks will make your ankles look too skinny Big grin

They are really skinny.  I'd look like Mickey Mouse.

Bin Running

Nice shoes, Jerry...

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Amazonian Princess

Y'know, since the Nike hat is gone, might be time for a Halo headband Big grin

Awood - way to go on the weight loss! Not to be dense, but does that mean you started running when you were 300 pounds? How did you avoid injury? The most I can do comfortably is 3 or 4x a week: a long slow one around 4-5 miles, a treadmill "rolling hills" program, and run/walk at the track once or twice. I tried adding a fourth day consistently but was so achy I wasn't enjoying it, so I'm alternating 3x one week then 4x the next. I'm thinking I need to keep building strength (with weights, core work, biking, elliptical, and pool running) because I don't want to get injured. Advice?

I can. I will. I am. 

Sloooow.

Not Awood, but I started running at 256lbs, with C25K. I did the plan every other day, so some weeks were 3 days, others were 4 days. I didn't have too many aches or pains, so I think it helps to start slowly with 3 and rarely 4 days a week (running/run-walking) when you are heavier.

Amazonian Princess

Coralie!!! Spent Sunday watching Doctor Who on Netflix, saw your old avatar!!!

I think I'm where you were when you started, so it's nice to think that someday I could be where you are now Smile Maybe a weird question, but as you started losing weight, did your calves seem to get bigger instead of smaller? Maybe they seem bigger because other parts are getting smaller? I keep wanting to ask about body changes while losing weight but didn't want to start a thread that could easily turn salacious...

I can. I will. I am. 

Zelanie

Baconista, I hardly lost any weight in my calves it seems. Giant tree trunk legs here compared to the rest of me. And I believe D2 had a similar experience. But I did eventually lose enough to wear knee-high boots. Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I was 315 pounds, but you're right.  I started with over 2 decades of sports under my belt with football, wrestling and powerlifting.  My body has been pretty conditioned to take a beating.  That being said, I hadn't wrestled or played football in over a decade.  This meant that I hadn't really run in over a decade.

In the beginning, I would run every other day, and take a break when I needed to.  I also did a lot of Jillian Michaels workout videos, and bike riding.  It takes time, and I think that's a good thing.  In 2010, I dropped 80 pounds pretty quickly because I was doing a weight loss challenge.  I felt great, but I feel like I lost it so fast that the changes I had made didn't feel like habits.  They were just the things I did to get the weight off.  This time around, I didn't rush the weight loss.  I didn't even think of it as weight loss, as much as I did developing healthy habits.  I just try to be aware of portion size, and eating right, and I'm also running to be a runner rather than as a weight loss tool.

Y'know, since the Nike hat is gone, might be time for a Halo headband Big grin

Awood - way to go on the weight loss! Not to be dense, but does that mean you started running when you were 300 pounds? How did you avoid injury? The most I can do comfortably is 3 or 4x a week: a long slow one around 4-5 miles, a treadmill "rolling hills" program, and run/walk at the track once or twice. I tried adding a fourth day consistently but was so achy I wasn't enjoying it, so I'm alternating 3x one week then 4x the next. I'm thinking I need to keep building strength (with weights, core work, biking, elliptical, and pool running) because I don't want to get injured. Advice?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost