Beginners and Beyond

Last Indoor Track Meet of the Season - RR mile and 800m (Read 46 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This was my last planned track meet for the season, possibly for the year, so my last chance to meet my goal this year of running 7:45 for the mile. Widener University has a 160m track so the mile would be just over 10 laps. Training was going well and I had several encouraging workouts in the past month. Unfortunately, and I have not reason why, I experienced the same weird cold feeling in my head and arms that I did last month during the mile. It was almost like I couldn't break a sweat during my warm-up because I was cold. As a result the mile was a virtual replicate of last month and frustrating as I know I can run much faster. On to the race recaps.

Mile: When I checked the entry seed times before the race I realized there was no one within 90 seconds of me. I would not only be running the race as a solo time trial, being a 10+ laps per mile track, I would be all alone on the track for the last two laps. I ignored the field as it immediately pulled away and tried to settle into my pace. I had a hard time reading my watch as I tried to get my split time the first two laps, so gave up and just ran. I caught enough of a glimpse at the half mile to know I was under 4:00, but not by much. I was already slowing from the early pace and should have been at 3:52. It was probably closer to 3:58. At that point I wondered if I would even be able to hold on to run sub-8:00. It helped that I had a few friends on the infield cheering otherwise I might have given up and coasted to the finish. As I reached a lap to go I knew I was over pace for 8:00 and needed a fast last lap. Running sub-8:00 was about the only goal I might salvage and I was by no means confident I could get that. Somehow I kicked it into a higher gear knowing it was only 160m for the last lap, not 200m, and made every effort to sprint through the finish not even bothering to stop my watch. I needed every little bit of help I could muster as my official time was 7:59.83.

800m: I was concerned that the 800m was going to be another solo run, but when I checked the seed times I noted two women with seed times of 3:30 and one older man with a seed time of 3:40. I thought I would have some competition at last - only my hopes were dashed. They set up the heats with the first being all women regardless of seed time, so there went the two women with 3:30 seed times. Then when my heat was called to the line there was no sign of the guy who had a 3:40 seed time. I was back to another solo time trial. Once again I was immediately in last place with everyone else quickly pulling away. They would all eventually lap me. Once again I didn't bother with trying to get split times and tried to maintain my concentration, effort, and form. It must have worked though I felt like slowing down by the third lap because I was so tired. That last lap sprint in the mile took more out of me than I thought it would. I think the first lap was a little fast, but after that I had no sense of slowing down and might even have had a slight kick. The effort was there but my legs were ready to give out so I wasn't sure if I was really going any faster or not. I didn't know what to expect after the mile, so I was pleasantly surprised to find I'd run a season best by over four seconds with a 3:34.46.

I may have a couple more opportunities to race the mile during the summer, but I'm not planning on it. My focus is now on preparing for my 12-hour race at the Fall North Coast 24. I will probably have to chalk up this year as one when I am not going to meet my mile goal, disappointing to say the least because my first mile, which is my fastest this year, had been so promising.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Sorry you didn't meet your goal and had to run alone Sad.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Congrats the the 800 time, and sorry that you didn't meet your mile goal this season.  Having someone running with you would have helped but you can't control who comes to the meet.

I've been to the Widener indoor track (DD was a pole vaulter for Ursinus College).  That is a tiny little track -- you were probably getting dizzy going in circles.

Philliefan33

Sorry you didn't meet your goal and had to run alone Sad.

I'm not too far away, so I could go race with George so he wouldn't be left alone -- except that I'm not fast enough.  He'd pull away after a few hundred yards and be running alone anyways.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congrats the the 800 time, and sorry that you didn't meet your mile goal this season.  Having someone running with you would have helped but you can't control who comes to the meet.

I've been to the Widener indoor track (DD was a pole vaulter for Ursinus College).  That is a tiny little track -- you were probably getting dizzy going in circles.

The weirdest thing about the track is that it is not an oval, it's a rectangle with curved corners.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Sounds like a tough meet WCR. I hope you can find a way to shake that cold sweat feeling. At least your strong 800 gave you something to attach some positive feelings to. I think you'll like training for the 12 hour race and thinking in terms of miles and hours instead of seconds.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

That's rough... soloing a time trial is horrible. Indoors it's worse. And I bet on a rectangular track it's even worse!

Good work on holding it together to dip under 8 at the end there. And good luck with NC24.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Love the Half

George, do you think the indoor track could have had anything to do with that cold sensation?  I know that doesn't seem to make any sense but it's worth it to explore all possibilities.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

runmomto3boys

I'm sorry you didn't hit your goal for the mile race, but you still got a sub-8:00 by the skin of your teeth - so yay for that!  Then you nailed a season best in the 800???  Not too shabby!!  Congrats!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George, do you think the indoor track could have had anything to do with that cold sensation?  I know that doesn't seem to make any sense but it's worth it to explore all possibilities.

Brad, this is something that has plagued me for years and always indoors. It may only happen once or twice a year or not at all. These last two meets are the first times in at least 5 years that I've experienced that. It only affects my first race, so I think it has something to do with a combination of the warm-up and cold air seeping into the facility so I'm in alternating warm and cold air. I couldn't seem to break a good sweat in my warm-up despite it being almost 3 miles. In the past I've gone to extremes of even wearing tights, hat, and gloves to see if that helps. I wasn't prepared for it this time because I had no problems last year at the Widener meet when I ran a season best of 3:28 for the 800m. This was also the first year it happend at Glen Mills. Previously my nemesis was been only the Swarthmore U. facility.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sorry you didn't meet your goal but great job, nonetheless.  Good luck with your NC24 training.

Damaris

SheCan

Awesome job on your 800m and honestly, your mile sounded great to me.  I found this RR extremely interesting as I'd never run in this fashion before.  I do think not having someone to go neck and neck with probably did hinder you some.  Good thing your friends were there to encourage you during that final pull.  Most of all YAY@ you doing the 12 hour North Coast 24!   Good luck in your training!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson