Beginners and Beyond

Top O' The Morning After Monday Penguins! (Read 31 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Looks like there was a lot of race activity this weekend - I think I read all the RR's. Good job racers!

I basically tanked my 5K yesterday. My first mile was good, my second mile was 47 seconds slower, and my third mile was 35 seconds slower than the second - how's that for a RR?! So it is time to move on! I wrote up a 5K 8 week training plan. If anyone cares to look at it and comment just click on the graph over my avatar, click on training plan, and click on 5K.

Also, we finally got a printer - Epson WF-3520. So far it works great. It's connected to our wifi so we can print from desktop, iPad, and iPhone. I'd say that's pretty good for us technology wise because just 2 years ago we still just had a VHS player and a 21" tube TV!

Well whatever you do today, do it well!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning colony!!

Gustav, thanks for starting us off.  Sorry to hear about the 5k, but it seems to have given you good motivation, everything has a purpose, right?  I'm no expert, but I'd say your plan looks pretty good, my only suggestion was going to be intervals, I've heard those are good for 5ks and you've got 'em in there.  Good luck!

AFM, some easy recovery miles later this evening.  I'm actually feeling pretty good this morning, definitely sore, but not too bad.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Bin Running

Gustav, thanks for starting off. Sorry abt the 5k. On phone now, will take a look at your training plan when I am on a real pc.

Dave, enjoy the recovery. You earned it!

AFM, doing some run with colleague and boss in a while.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - I know you're not satisfied with the results, but the good news is that you're racing again.  How's that for a positive?

D - Still very impressed by your race times.  If that wasn't such a huge race, I'm pretty sure you would have been writing about an AG award.

AFM - I just jogged 6 with P3 yesterday.  We got her some new shoes too.  Talk about timing, she started having some issues late last week.  Her first 10K is next Sunday.  The new shoes seem to have helped.  I haven't even checked my schedule to see what I'm supposed to do tonight.  The weather for next Sunday is looking good again.  I'm hoping that they can get a prediction up soon that will stick....lol

After seeing what other penguins have been doing at races, it's really tempting to try a more aggressive goal next weekend.  I think I'm going to stick with my original pace though for at least the first few miles and see how it is going.  I think I'm still looking at a 10 minute PR, and my ultimate goal for the year is still in November.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Mmmmm...beer

Awood, thanks!  The bigger races here do tend to draw some really fast runners.  1st place overall at the half ran 1:04, and 1st place in my age group was 1:11!  Just crazy. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Gustav and Penguins.  Snowing again, so it looks like a track day for me and dw.  Off to work for a few hours, or less.

Have a great week !!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Sorry about the 5K Gustav Sad

So after most of you stopped checking this last night I checked in about missing my LR this weekend. Tried to make it up this morning. Well I didn't get out the door in time to do 3.5 miles. Ended up with 2.5. Ugh I suck lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Kristin, 2.5 beats zero.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  We had some snow last night, and I've got a bit of a scratchy throat, so I'm working from home today.  Probably no walk, since it's cold outside, and obviously no swim, since I'm not at work.  It's all good.  

Gustav -- sorry about your race, but woo-hoo for the electronics!!

D2 -- enjoy your easy miles!!

Bin -- woo-hoo for finding the trailhead!!

Awood -- Hope P3's shoes fix her issues!!

Jerryb -- stay warm and dry!!

kristin -- that darned scheduling thing!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Good morning, penguins!  SRD for me today.  My plan has the LR and MLR bumping back up this week, but overall mileage stays the same, meaning I get an extra RD!

Gustav- Sounds to me like you're still coming back from a long layoff and weren't sure where your fitness was for this race- no shame in that!  Glad to hear you are moving forward with a new plan!  Looks good to me, although I don't know a thing about "properly" preparing for a 5K.  Congrats on the wireless printer, too.  We have one of those, and it's nice.  Although it's by DH's computer and he's always setting stuff on it so sometimes when I send print jobs up there, they will crumple on whatever he's left on the printer.

D2- Enjoy the recovery miles!  Hope the legs feel good!

Bin- Hope the "work run" goes well.

Awood- I think you've got the 10 minute PR!   But yeah, there's time to pick it up if you start conservatively.

Jerry- Hope the track isn't too crowded!

Kristin- You got out there and got a run in!  Good for you!

HsM- Hope that the throat gets better with your rest today.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Travel day for me.  SRD.

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thank you....that puts it in prespective for me, I need to remember that. With my weekly mileage still so low right now as I'm slowly building it back up, missing a mile here or there really stresses me out, especially if it's my fault and not injury related (was lazy yesterday and overslept today). I got out there and logged miles. That is something!

Kristin, 2.5 beats zero.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I did Race #18 for the year on Sunday. This time I put the report on the forum here and thanks to LRB for directing me to Photobucket, I got the photos to appear this time.  Here is the link to my report and photos:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/a4b6ebc787f14c6ea0105abf5918afd0/resume#focus

After doing a 5K on Saturday and the one on Sunday, which was a bit hilly, today is a rest day for me.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

SRD for me.

Zel: Am I the only one who thinks you look 15 or 16 in all of your pictures?