Beginners and Beyond

Calm before the storm FriDAILIES (Read 33 times)

onemile

Of course everyone's different. I am doubtful I will ever get to sub-20, but there's some non-zero chance; I'm pretty sure I couldn't run a 1:32 in a billion years.

oh come on. you were pretty close not too long ago. I bet you can get there again.

onemile

Yeah, see... I think a 19:26 5K is impossible for me, but not 1:29:59.  Not that I can do it now, but I can see myself being able to do it one day.  It probably helps that I basically only run 5Ks in the summer when the weather is awful, and half marathons tend to be in the fall or spring.

but once you run that 1:29:59, the 19:26 might seem possible one day.  Like, I don't think I could run a 19:26 now, but I think I probably could eventually..

Cyberic

In my case, sub-20 was easier than sub 1:30. My experience is pretty aligned with the numbers Onemile (and MacMillan) suggest. Of course, everyone is different. Running fast can be very hard for some, and easier for others.

DavePNW

oh come on. you were pretty close not too long ago. I bet you can get there again.

To the sub-20? Yes...some chance. The 1:32 - way off, PR is 1:35.  Although I'm itching to get back at it.

Dave

sdWhiskers

In my case, sub-20 was easier than sub 1:30. My experience is pretty aligned with the numbers Onemile (and MacMillan) suggest. Of course, everyone is different. Running fast can be very hard for some, and easier for others.

This. I could be chased by zombies and still not run <7 min mile.

No running today. SRD to have a better chance at a HM PR on Sunday.

onemile

This. I could be chased by zombies and still not run <7 min mile.

No running today. SRD to have a better chance at a HM PR on Sunday.

Running fast is def something I've struggled with but the more I practice it (short faster than 5k pace intervals) the better I become at it.

bluerun

Super B****

Fast is relative, though.  I almost feel like once I can run a certain pace, it's easier for me to just run that pace for longer and longer distances than it is to speed up for a shorter distance.  Which might explain why my 10 mile PR pace is more than ten seconds faster than my 10K PR pace... that sub-40 10K is never going to happen for me.  I'm more likely to run a sub-3 marathon than that.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

It took me to get faster at the mile and 5k to reach the other time goals, but there is no reason a person can't do it the other way and get faster at the half or marathon and have that lead to a faster 5k or 10k.

A lot depends on what you're training for too. The goal race distance dictates what you're working on during any given period which may or may not lead to faster race times at either end of the distance spectrum. So if you're training for a marathon, your mile time might not be the best you're capable of. Whereas if you're training for a half, you might blow it out of the water. Or vice versa, depending on your personal strengths as a runner.

onemile

the one time I didn't anticipating being hard to break through was 3:15 

DavePNW

Marathons are dumb.

Dave

workinprogress11

Good morning. Cam walker day 31 for me. I figure I’d report that instead of actual running.

At my best I was slower than everyone in the discussion so far but I always did better at the longer distances. My half and marathon PRs have 10k and 5k equivalents that I never came close to touching.  I always assumed it was due to asthma and that running faster triggered that more than running longer.

LRB

You're gonna blaze the monumental course should you decide to run it. 🔥

onemile

You're gonna blaze the monumental course should you decide to run it. 🔥

I wasn't planning on it

Cyberic

that sub-40 10K is never going to happen for me.  I'm more likely to run a sub-3 marathon than that.

Over 4 times the distance, and only 23 seconds per mile difference (6:49 for the sub-3 and 6:26 for the sub-40). I'm definitely not geared like that.

LRB

At my best I was slower than everyone in the discussion so far but I always did better at the longer distances. 

And we are "slower" than many others, it's all relative. 👍

What's a cam walker?