Beginners and Beyond

Banditing Boston and no one knows who they are yet (Read 124 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

IMHO, nobody who considers themselves a true runner would bandit Boston and accept a medal.  Nothing anybody says will change my opinion about that.

<3

happylily

IMHO, nobody who considers themselves a true runner would bandit Boston and accept a medal.  Nothing anybody says will change my opinion about that.

That's how I view it as well. And I don't care if it's been done for years...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

DavePNW

IMHO, nobody who considers themselves a true runner would bandit any race and accept a medal.  Nothing anybody says will change my opinion about that.

FYP. Really.

Dave

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Meh. Another fauxrage incident.

You people have issues 

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Agreed. Maybe Boston needs a line out of the exit shoot that says "No Medal"?

- Andrew

RSX

Guilty. I did it in 2000 and got the medal via Ebay. I get why most are upset. I don't get the anger from former bandits.

Love the Half

I have never bandited a race.  The only time I came close was when I volunteered for a C25K program.  I went to the race with the participants to run with them.  I didn't pay an entry fee but I told the race director what I was doing and I didn't cross the finish line.  I started with the slower of our runners and then moved up to the fastest.  I paced her to within sight of the finish and then circled around to find the next one.  I kept doing that until all of them finished.  Again though, the RD knew what I was doing and I didn't cross the finish line.

I don't view banditry as egregious as statements that Negroes fared better under slavery, (Google "Cliven Bundy" if you've been living under a rock) or sexual assault.  I think a lot of otherwise decent people have no idea the disdain with which the running community perceives it.  (Google "Peter Sagal bandits Chicago" if you want some entertaining reading in that regard).  Still, Sagal didn't forge a bib and he didn't cross the finish line.  You can't argue with a straight face that you thought your actions were ethical if you deliberately created a fake bib.  That's especially true if two of those runners really had been on a college cross country team.  They should most certainly know better.

Nor do I think races should go to extremes to stop bandits.  That's just overkill if you ask me.  Public shaming works quite nicely.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

And, as mentioned previously, I think banditing used to be pretty much accepted.  Why it was accepted I have no idea but those who have been around for a while indicate it was a fairly common practice.  But, the world changes and what was acceptable a generation ago may not be acceptable today.  That's true for a lot of things in life and you can either embrace the change or become a grouchy curmudgeon bitching about how great things used to be.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

LTH is right. It's not about outrage for me, only disdain.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

To me, it's like sneaking into a concert or making a fake ticket.  In this case we know that they even accepted a medal (at least one of them did from photos I saw).  I feel like they took banditing a bit too far.  I wouldn't say that I'm outraged, but love the fact that they've probably gone from bragging to hiding.  If you want to be sneaky, you better be good at it.  You made an arse out of yourself.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Tar Heel Mom

kween

FYP. Really.

I agree with you. I have no tolerance for bandits.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Ric-G

Yup....public shaming can go a long way sometimes. Bet these guys never thought all this would happen.

the world changes and what was acceptable a generation ago may not be acceptable today.  That's true for a lot of things in life and you can either embrace the change or become a grouchy curmudgeon bitching about how great things used to be.

marathon pr - 3:16

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

**snip** That's especially true if two of those runners really had been on a college cross country team.  They should most certainly know better.

Nor do I think races should go to extremes to stop bandits.  That's just overkill if you ask me.  Public shaming works quite nicely.

I would think so as well, however I have run many a race that the XC athletes didn't know about Bib placement (ie on back) or to take the *HUGE ORANGE* D-chip tag off the middle of their bib and put it on their shoe.

As far as purposefully creating a fake bib?  yeah right out

Being so ignorant or rules that you purchase a fake copy off craiglist without the chip tag? purposefully obtuse

None of which is particularly 'cool'.

B-Plus

I never a had a huge problem with the banditing I heard of in the past, almost like it were a tradition. But the deception with the copied bib somewhat irks me.

BruceD555

Yup....public shaming can go a long way sometimes. Bet these guys never thought all this would happen.

I posted already in the Counterfeit Bibs poll in the public area, but...  My idea was to identify them, make them sign up for next year's race, strip 'em nekked, staple a "BANDIT" bib on 'em, take away their Glide and let them run. I say a good public shaming ought'a hurt. Maybe it's because I'm one of those who missed running this year because of the 1:38 cutoff or maybe it's because I just turned a year older ... but I'm feeling particularly crotchety about fake bibs and taking medals @ Boston.

Train smart ... race smarter.