Beginners and Beyond

Banditing Boston and no one knows who they are yet (Read 124 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

There are plenty of other stories and people rationalizing how it was ok. The one from the founder of Foursquare is out there too. His wife couldn't get in so the made her a fake bib......http://m.wcvb.com/news/fake-bibs-being-probed-by-boston-marathon-organizers/25650754

if you are going to bandit you better be good enough to not get caught.  Kinda hard now a days. I'm all for the public shaming. I'm not outraged, but just cannot imagine people that think it is okay to steal a bib or take a medal. if I had qualified and didn't  get in I'd never even consider running anyways.

Marjorie

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Her not getting in is not a good excuse for banditting. Can you imagine if everyone who didn't get in banditted? It makes me sick, and it makes me angry. I still say bandits are the equivalent of thieves. Make all the excuses you want about tradition, etc., it's still WRONG.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Hip Redux

I never a had a huge problem with the banditing I heard of in the past, almost like it were a tradition. But the deception with the copied bib somewhat irks me.

That's my take on it.  It's hard to come down hard on banditing when the BAA accepted it in years past.  But this year when they stated no bandits AND you go and COPY a bib number AND take medal?  Lame.

RSX

I would rather the printers be outed than the college kids or whoever ran. The more bad publicity you give the industry the less likely it will happen again. People claim that many folks can do this at work but I really doubt it.

Outing individuals may make it harder for them to find a job as I expect them to easily come up in a google search when the dust clears. The analogy I made on RW  was when that young woman dressed up for Halloween as a Boston victim. It was inappropriate for a lot of folks but should she have lost her job over it? If my college age son did something that lacked judgement I wouldn't want to see it keep coming back to haunt him.

Don't call me Buttercup!

The analogy I made on RW  was when that young woman dressed up for Halloween as a Boston victim. It was inappropriate for a lot of folks but should she have lost her job over it? If my college age son did something that lacked judgement I wouldn't want to see it keep coming back to haunt him.

Someone dressed up as a Boston victim for Halloween?????  That's disgusting.

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

RSX

Someone dressed up as a Boston victim for Halloween?????  That's disgusting.

It is and was but it went viral. I don't think enough people think of social media when they do anything inappropriate. In that case she posted a picture of herself on FB.

That is just my take on it after reading all these FB posts demanding this all go viral. I have seen at least 5 people share it so far on FB.

Hip Redux

I would rather the printers be outed than the college kids or whoever ran. The more bad publicity you give the industry the less likely it will happen again. People claim that many folks can do this at work but I really doubt it.

Outing individuals may make it harder for them to find a job as I expect them to easily come up in a google search when the dust clears. The analogy I made on RW  was when that young woman dressed up for Halloween as a Boston victim. It was inappropriate for a lot of folks but should she have lost her job over it? If my college age son did something that lacked judgement I wouldn't want to see it keep coming back to haunt him.

I really hope no one loses a job over this.   It's not that big a deal.

Along the same lines, people really need to stop calling these kids names.    What they did was shitty, but that doesn't mean they are horrible people.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

More proof why most people suck.  I'm not just referring to the bandits either.

You people have issues 

PADRunner

Looking closer Brown noticed a Twitter handle on the bib and it didn't take her long to figure out it was Chelsa Crowley, a New York city stylist and fashion writer who was running with her husband Dennis Crowley, the founder of Foursquare. Read more: http://www.wcvb.com/news/fake-bibs-being-probed-by-boston-marathon-organizers/25650754#ixzz2zwmJM8jc

Not too bright.

Love the Half

Here's the reality of today's hyper connected world.  When I was a college student, we could do insanely stupid shit with pretty much no consequences unless we cussed out a cop.  Now, anything you do that's stupid can end up on social media and it's sort of random what goes viral.  But, that is now part of raising your kids.  One of my former students deleted his Facebook account because of what I would call "stupid college shit" he had posted.

Regardless, nobody can think that forging a document is an ethical act.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mmmmm...beer

Outing individuals may make it harder for them to find a job as I expect them to easily come up in a google search when the dust clears. 

I really hope no one loses a job over this.   It's not that big a deal.

I kind of hope they do.  Actions can have consequences, and imo, this speaks to these people's integrity and character (or lack of).  They forged a bib and stole a medal, plain and simple.  Why is it ok these days to basically not be a good person, just because the offense is minor?

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Agreed.  I also think it would go a long way if they came forward and owned up to it.  We've all done stupid things, but I was raised that when you got busted you had to man up and accept responsibility.  The guy from Four Square owned up.  Good enough for me.  Done.  These kids and others should admit they were wrong, and return the medals and accept their ban.  That wouldbe the end of the story in my book.

I kind of hope they do.  Actions can have consequences, and imo, this speaks to these people's integrity and character (or lack of).  They forged a bib and stole a medal, plain and simple.  Why is it ok these days to basically not be a good person, just because the offense is minor?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

MothAudio

Kathy Brown told ABC affiliate WCVB in Boston that she registered through the official channels and was running for a charity, which earned her a real bib number. After the race, she logged onto a photo website to see the pictures taken of her running.... "I put that work in and it wasn't fair that someone else didn't have to do that. That was my first thought," said Brown.

Training or fundraising?

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

JFC the sanctimonious BS that is spewed in here is unbelievable. Losing their jobs over this?

You people have issues 

RSX

Training or fundraising?

Yeah that looks like the most important part of the story.