Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #6 (Read 34 times)

LRB

Also, hahahahaha... the Gridiron 4M just sold out. Guess that takes care of that!

DavePNW

Ha, I should've put IF in capital letters...

It’ll happen right after we switch over to the metric system.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Blue, I thought scuba cert was a requirement?

For certain things, it is. But for a basic shallow dive, you can just take a Discover Scuba class, which takes a couple of hours and costs a fraction of what the cert does.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

bluerun

Super B****

Looks like my HM streak will continue. But I did register for the Washington Heights 5K because that was also “near capacity” and I would be pissed if I got locked out of that.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

Yeap. That's why I'll be here until I can't anymore to get that wonderful medical insurance. That might change if this country gets on the 21st century bandwagon and does Medicare for all or something where we don't have to worry about it.

Not saying it isn't better to have it than not.

But since it is private business in the US, I'm 99.999% sure the level of service you get is muuuuuuch better than what we get here. Not saying our doctors and nurses aren't as good as yours. But since it's "free", everyone is always going to get medical care, and since the doctors/nurses/hospitals are publicly funded it means there's always not enough money for any service. Once you get in the system, you get treated very well, but the waiting lists are atrociously long, the buildings are old, the professionals overworked.

I've gone to private clinics a couple of times (so paying for care on top of paying for everyone else) and OMG it's not the same. Those places are not operated by politicians, and so they treat the amount of patients they have the capacity to do and not more.

LRB

That's just what I'm saying: it's not. My niece is diving with me next week (supposedly) and she's not certified, she's just doing a Discover Scuba. Seems a lot more logical to me to do that rather than shelling out all the money for a certification if you don't even know whether you like it or if you'll ever do it again, but that's just me.

It's $200 and supposedly goes over everything you need to know, have to know or should know I guess. Getting certified during an open water dive is an additional $170 with this particular instructor, but can be done anywhere in the world with any certified instructor (all of this you already know, I'm just including it for context). So for me, it's a chance to learn some stuff and get an idea of what in the hell is going on with the stupid thing. I don't really have an issue with it not being required. If I come out of the class and feel I don't need the open water cert, great. Most likely I will though because I'm getting hot with anxiety right now just thinking about it!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It’ll happen right after we switch over to the metric system.

Damaris

LRB

For certain things, it is. But for a basic shallow dive, you can just take a Discover Scuba class, which takes a couple of hours and costs a fraction of what the cert does.

I'd like to think I'll be in it for the long haul. But you're right, it's possible I won't be.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Not saying it isn't better to have it than not.

But since it is private business in the US, I'm 99.999% sure the level of service you get is muuuuuuch better than what we get here. Not saying our doctors and nurses aren't as good as yours. But since it's "free", everyone is always going to get medical care, and since the doctors/nurses/hospitals are publicly funded it means there's always not enough money for any service. Once you get in the system, you get treated very well, but the waiting lists are atrociously long, the buildings are old, the professionals overworked.

I've gone to private clinics a couple of times (so paying for care on top of paying for everyone else) and OMG it's not the same. Those places are not operated by politicians, and so they treat the amount of patients they have the capacity to do and not more.

If you are rich, yes. Even the people with health insurance get denied life saving care a lot (your plan decides it can't cover X, or cancer meds, etc.) The poor go to the ER or free clinics where they would just get the basics until they die because they couldn't afford anything.

Damaris

LRB

A snowball thrown from the space station would have a better chance at surviving entry into earth's atmosphere. lol

LRB

I only scuba dived once. We were skydivers and made friends with divers (they had their own scuba diving business). I was the only one of us (skydivers) who had never gone scubadiving before.

So on Dec 31st, they organize a 10PM dive with a couple of friends, and we were amongst those friends. A 50 ft night dive, on my first, and they were bringing champagne to drink under water.

During the day I went to their small pool to get a crash course. Went good.

I did not enjoy the dive, though. Water pressure was not something I enjoyed. I got through it, passed on the champagne, and nothing went wrong. Afterwards the guys regretted bringing me. They decided to bring me because they knew, being an instructor myself, that I would not start freaking out and do dangerous stuff, and in that they were right as I followed instructions perfectly, but they had not anticipated that I would not enjoy being under water. It was freaking me out. I could control it, but still.

I figure at 15 feet, water pressure would not be an issue, but I'm not much of a water guy so I feel no attraction towards that activity.

Well, that blew that. lol

RunningOnSand

Where do you work?  I don't think we know this about you.

This is the backpack I have, it's made for women so it doesn't bounce around.  Looks like it's been updated in the last year or so.  I love mine.  https://www.gregorypacks.com/packs-bags/day-packs/maya-16-111477XXXX.html?dwvar_111477XXXX_color=Meridian%20Teal#start=1

I am a psychotherapist in private practice, so I rent my own office space. I'm thinking that I'd only run to work on non client days, aka admin days. That way I wouldn't assault any of my clients with a potential smell, lol. And because I don't want to have to bring with me my makeup, or buy extra to keep there. Thanks so much for the link to your backpack! I like that it's made for women--good to know it gets good reviews from you!

Cyberic

If you are rich, yes. Even the people with health insurance get denied life saving care a lot (your plan decides it can't cover X, or cancer meds, etc.) The poor go to the ER or free clinics where they would just get the basics until they die because they couldn't afford anything.

Ok, so you do get "free" basic care, like here? What not everyone has access to is very expensive stuff?

RunningOnSand

I only scuba dived once. We were skydivers and made friends with divers (they had their own scuba diving business). I was the only one of us (skydivers) who had never gone scubadiving before.

So on Dec 31st, they organize a 10PM dive with a couple of friends, and we were amongst those friends. A 50 ft night dive, on my first, and they were bringing champagne to drink under water.

During the day I went to their small pool to get a crash course. Went good.

I did not enjoy the dive, though. Water pressure was not something I enjoyed. I got through it, passed on the champagne, and nothing went wrong. Afterwards the guys regretted bringing me. They decided to bring me because they knew, being an instructor myself, that I would not start freaking out and do dangerous stuff, and in that they were right as I followed instructions perfectly, but they had not anticipated that I would not enjoy being under water. It was freaking me out. I could control it, but still.

I figure at 15 feet, water pressure would not be an issue, but I'm not much of a water guy so I feel no attraction towards that activity.

This is exactly why I have no desire to dive. Dh did a dive while he was on a "work" trip to Australia a few years ago and loved it, and talks about us doing it together, and I'm all,

Cyberic

Well, that blew that. lol

Exactly