Beginners and Beyond

Amateur marathon runners are slowing down.......(Wall Street Journal).... (Read 197 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, yes, I agree.  But trying to reach 19 BMI might be misleading or even unhealthy.  According to BMI I am above 24 (way above) but if I reach 21 I will look emaciated.  I can lose some weight, but not that much without looking unhealthy.

Damaris

DavePNW

I've seen your picture and you are right that losing weight should not be a concern of yours. You really don't look like a 24.5 BMI. You must have muscle mass or something...

But if it happened naturally over the course of marathon training, you also should not worry about any reasonable weight loss. Moth is proof that it's ok to weigh the same as we did 30 years ago.

You will get healthy again. Whatever it is you have will heal. Have you tried not running at all, for a week or two? Sometimes, the body really needs that extra help to repair itself. Once the pain is gone, your return will seem tough at first, but it will all come back quickly, don't worry. Then, give yourself a year, and you can start thinking about your first marathon. Maybe the first won't be a BQ, but you're the type whom I believe has a future BQ in him. Look at Phil and how much progress he's made between his first and his last marathon. And now he's even faster than that. The same can be done with you. Smile

Thanks for the encouraging words. Yes I have tried taking 1-2 weeks off a few time, but never more than that. I know for some people it is a matter of taking months off, but I don't want to do that without knowing if it is going to help. Finally got an MRI & appointment with an orthopedic (in about a week). So hopefully will soon be able to develop a path forward. Sounds like all I need is Baboon's bionic knee & I'll be all set.

Dave

happylily

Oh, yes, I agree.  But trying to reach 19 BMI might be misleading or even unhealthy.  According to BMI I am above 24 (way above) but if I reach 21 I will look emaciated.  I can lose some weight, but not that much without looking unhealthy.

Out of curiosity, how much did you weigh in that picture of you on the beach when you were a teenager? And were you the same height then as you are now?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Thanks for the encouraging words. Yes I have tried taking 1-2 weeks off a few time, but never more than that. I know for some people it is a matter of taking months off, but I don't want to do that without knowing if it is going to help. Finally got an MRI & appointment with an orthopedic (in about a week). So hopefully will soon be able to develop a path forward. Sounds like all I need is Baboon's bionic knee & I'll be all set.

Sending my most positive thoughts to you. Good luck!

Hip Redux

Well said.

And I agree that you're looking very fit D., So, yes, BMI does not indicate the level of fitness. But it can still be used to point to possible weight loss if one desires it. I don't believe that someone can be at 24 BMI and claim that it would be impossible for him/her to lose weight.

So this is an example of a BMI of 24.

from linky

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Out of curiosity, how much did you weigh in that picture of you on the beach when you were a teenager? And were you the same height then as you are now?

I've been the same height since age 12.  I was 100lbs, I think.  But a size 2 or 4 (I've never been a very small size).  I am way more than that and a Size 4 now.

Damaris

Hip Redux

I've been the same height since age 12.  I was 100lbs, I think.  But a size 2 or 4 (I've never been a very small size).  I am way more than that and a Size 4 now.

Sizes have changed greatly over the years, unfortunately.  I wear a 6 in some clothes that would have been considered a 10 fifteen years ago!  (not saying you don't look great now, but just that clothes sizing is highly variable)

happylily

from linky

I didn't click on the link yet, but I will. To me, this girl looks great and she looks fit. But she also looks like she has fat on. Not saying that she should get rid of it, but she could if she wanted to.

happylily

Sizes have changed greatly over the years, unfortunately.  I wear a 6 in some clothes that would have been considered a 10 fifteen years ago!  (not saying you don't look great now, but just that clothes sizing is highly variable)

Yes, sizes don't mean anything anymore...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

True, but when I use the same jeans and business suits as I purchased 3 years ago and they are big now, yes, I've lost weight but I weigh more.  I wouldn't compare to my 100lbs skinny waif self that Lily is talking about ever, since I will never be that skinny ever again nor do I want to be.

Damaris

onemile

from linky

Oh my. I can't see her all of her ribs or any of the bones in her chest. I don't know how she could possibly run fast.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Interesting thread, and first off let me say that Kristin looks good - I mean good.  She would have no problem turning eyes in a social setting, so dispel the thought that you need to lose weight missy.  That being said, we all can strive to shed pounds, it benefits us in so many ways (up to a certain point).  My beef is with the use of BMI at all.

When I was in the military some 20 years ago, we started kicking people out based on weight and BMI.  If they weighed above a certain level and then had a higher BMI, they went on the Fat Boy program and had 6 months to loose the pounds.  If not, I as the Unit commander had the unpleasant task of telling them they would be released from service - kicked out.

BMI is a measure of the body's mass.  We would at that time use a seamstress tape and measure the legs, waist, arms and chest and then apply the figures to a table to determine BMI.  That was somewhat scientific but not the best.  The only true way to test BMI is in a water tank where displacement and buoyancy are used to calculate true body fat.  Heck, a body builder who is short will have a high BMI but a low body fat percentage.

So forget all the talk about BMI.  Its too simplistic the way it is currently calculated, and to me a meaningless figure.  Body fat is important and running eats fat first.  So slow down a bit on the carbo and run the weight away over time.

happylily

You were a 100 lbs and 5'6"? Then you could probably be 120 lbs today. You're the same height as my sister. But that doesn't mean that you SHOULD be 120 lbs. You look great now and are running well. I'm just saying that it wouldn't be impossible for you to be 120 lbs. But you probably wouldn't like your new look, simply because you wouldn't be used to it.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You were a 100 lbs and 5'6"? Then you could probably be 120 lbs today. You're the same height as my sister. But that doesn't mean that you SHOULD be 120 lbs. You look great now and are running well. I'm just saying that it wouldn't be impossible for you to be 120 lbs. But you probably wouldn't like your new look, simply because you wouldn't be used to it.

I am not going to lose that amount of weight (that is a lot for me to lose).  And I used to be 120lbs 6 years ago when I started this job and I used the same business suits as I am using today, so what do I need to lose to get down to 120lbs and be a size 2, muscle?

That is my point.  The number means shit if your composition is different.

Damaris

Love the Half

Folks can whine all they want about BMI being misleading but you can't change physics.  It takes "x" amount of energy to move "y" amount of weight "z" distance.  If you make that weight "y + 5 pounds", it takes more energy.  The more weight you add, the more energy it takes to move it.  Chris Solinsky is 6'1" and 160 pounds.  There is a reason why no other world class runners look like Chris Solinsky.  Most are somewhere between 18 & 19 BMI.  Spin it however you want but you can't change the physics of having to move the weight.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).