Beginners and Beyond

Amateur marathon runners are slowing down.......(Wall Street Journal).... (Read 197 times)

happylily

Anyway, talking about weight is like talking about healthcare or religion. It's never a good idea. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

Anyway, talking about weight is like talking about healthcare or religion. It's never a good idea. Big grin

So what are your opinions on gun control?  Tongue

Anyway, I'm going to go get a snack from the vending machine now.

happylily

So what are your opinions on gun control?  Tongue

Anyway, I'm going to go get a snack from the vending machine now.

Heh... I ate McDonald's last night. Big grin And I'm Canadian, that's your answer to the gun control question. Big grin

Mmmmm...beer

I agree that less weight equals more speed, which is why I'm dropping another 20lbs before my marathon in March.  But you can still have some decent speed even with a relatively high BMI.  I ran my 5:39 mile last month with a BMI of 26.4 (195lbs).  Granted, I would have gone faster if I was sitting at 23.7 (175lbs), which is where I'll be for my marathon, and that's still just barely inside the "normal" range.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

I won't pretend to speak for FSocks

The analogy there was just because one person does something, does not mean that everyone could, can, or will do the same thing.

While BMI was originally designed for population studies,  it is intended - in it's modern usage - to be an individual assessment.  Which was my point in showing that picture - that it's a crappy number for individual body composition or health/fitness.  I could show you 10 people with BMI of 24 and there would be more differences than similarities - some at a healthy weight, some not.

Then you should show those pictures to be fair. That was my point. Every thread that I've read about BMI always ends up with people posting pictures and talking about people who have high BMI's and remarking about how fit they are. If they aren't saying it, they are implying it. Be fair and post pictures of large GROUPS of people with similar BMI's and have the discussion on what it is to be fit and healthy.

Pretty much how BMI should be used.

And I have an issue with your statement of "modern usage". While it has morphed into another number for individual assessment it has been made to be used that way because it is a simple concept to understand for a lot of simple people out there. But that is another topic for another day.

Hip Redux

The analogy there was just because one person does something, does not mean that everyone could, can, or will do the same thing.

Gosh, I should thank Fsocks for making my point that not all BMIs of 24 are the same, eh?

Yes. I was using it in the context of just because this person has a BMI of 24 doesn't mean that every person that has a BMI of 24 is as fit or healthy.

To-may-to, to-mah-to

Hip Redux

Then you should show those pictures to be fair. That was my point. Every thread that I've read about BMI always ends up with people posting pictures and talking about people who have high BMI's and remarking about how fit they are. If they aren't saying it, they are implying it. Be fair and post pictures of large GROUPS of people with similar BMI's and have the discussion on what it is to be fit and healthy.

Pretty much how BMI should be used.

And I have an issue with your statement of "modern usage". While it has morphed into another number for individual assessment it has been made to be used that way because it is a simple concept to understand for a lot of simple people out there. But that is another topic for another day.

Hey, I didn't make up the modern usage of it.

Also - I attempted to find a bunch of women who are 5'5" and 145 pounds in Google and failed.    I can tell you from the women I know that are that height and approximate weight that some are very fit and some are absolutely not.    That's my only point - BMI alone cannot be used to determine an individual's fitness.    I don't see how that's an arguable point, honestly.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I think it all gets mixed up when you don't specify the goal.  There is HUGE difference between performance, health and appearance.  A low body fat is great, but a bodybuilder ain't an elite runner.  The elite runner, and the bodybuilder may both be healthy, but not necassarily as healthy as someone with a higher bmi or bf%.  As for appearance, thats completely subjective.  I'm just going to say it.  The Olympics are full of atheletes that aren't necassarily concerned with health.  There are very healthy people who will never do anything all that impressive athleticly.  We have to be specific about our goals.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

Yes. I was using it in the context of just because this person has a BMI of 24 doesn't mean that every person that has a BMI of 24 is as fit or healthy.

To-may-to, to-mah-to

Right, that's my point.  Originally it was to Happylily's point that "everyone at 24 BMI could stand to lose weight".  I just pointed out that nothing is "all or nothing" when it comes to this sort of thing.

I think we're actually saying the same thing.   Maybe. lol

meaghansketch

Also - I attempted to find a bunch of women who are 5'5" and 145 pounds in Google and failed. 

Is this what you're looking for?

happylily

Hey, I didn't make up the modern usage of it.

Also - I attempted to find a bunch of women who are 5'5" and 145 pounds in Google and failed.    I can tell you from the women I know that are that height and approximate weight that some are very fit and some are absolutely not.    That's my only point - BMI alone cannot be used to determine an individual's fitness.    I don't see how that's an arguable point, honestly.

Oski, I agree with you 100% on that. I know that some people can be very fit, and look great, at 24 BMI. MY only point was that even though they are very fit and look good, they also carry fat on them. That was my only point. I really don't think that many people can be 24 BMI and not have any fat on them (yes, I know some fat is good for women...). There are exceptions, but in general, I think what I'm saying is true.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

LRB and I were just discussing a mutual acquaintance the other day.  He's one giant muscle with almost no bodyfat.  He's losing weight right now in the form of sacrificing muscle mass for the sake of a faster marathon.  He's performance driven.  Most would say he has no weight to lose, and they'd be wrong.

Right, that's my point.  Originally it was to Happylily's point that "everyone at 24 BMI could stand to lose weight".  I just pointed out that nothing is "all or nothing" when it comes to this sort of thing.

I think we're actually saying the same thing.   Maybe. lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

Is this what you're looking for?

Heh, kind of!