Beginners and Beyond

Finally Friday Penguins! (Read 22 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  We sure slack a lot, Penguins.

A bike ride tonight, hopefully.

Damaris

Zelanie

Hey pens.  Not much new here.  DD is out of town at her robotics tournament, and we will go up to watch tomorrow.  6-8 miles for me tonight.

GinnyinPA

I'm planning on 5 or so this afternoon.

Z - have fun at the tournament.

D - enjoy your bike ride.  Hope you don't have any more tornados.

Dad on the run.

Hey all, we were talking about dieting the other day and calorie in vs calorie out and all that jazz.... Well yesterday I did my 3 mile run with the group and afterwards went to the New China Buffet.... 8 pieces of sushi, plate of rice with honey chicken and coconut shrimp, 2 ribs, some BBQ Pork, Egg Roll, Cheese wanton, and a slice of cheese cake. I'm pretty confident that yesterday was more in than out Tongue

I don't know what to do tonight. I've ran for 10 days straight and hate to break my streak but damn I'm tired! I don't even want to run 1 mile just to keep it going. Today may be a real RD and will probably go over my parents and play some Spades and eat.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Happy Friday, Pens.

D: Running, now biking, could a triathlon be in your future?

Zel: Where is the tournament? Enjoy the run.

Ginny: Put up a few pictures of your trails, when you can. It must be nice to have access to those. Smile

JBJ: Isn't it funny how those streaks happen and you don't even realize it? You might want to go out and do two SUPER EASY miles unless you are really tired.

As for me, I am trying a belt pouch thingy on my run today. It is for the phone. I have tried a few things and for the life of me, I cannot get used to running with a phone. I REALLY want to bring it to the Los Angeles Marathon to take pictures. As for that, considering I haven't trained for it, I'm as ready as I can be. It will be fun even though I'm not racing it. It is on local TV but I don't know if it's on nationally. I have the Hulk Hogan mustache and my bright green shirt and visor ready to go.

Have a good weekend.

Bin Running

Jack, hulkermania rules. You should wear yellow with a matching bandana.

3M done before work. Bad news is seem like the yearly haze might be back soon.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Jack, one guy around here gets a little prepaid phone that he runs with. It's small enough that it doesn't bother him, plus he doesn't worry about it getting dropped or wet or anything. Maybe that would work for you? I don't know what kind of cameras they have though.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Happy Friday, Pens.

D: Running, now biking, could a triathlon be in your future?

Zel: Where is the tournament? Enjoy the run.

Ginny: Put up a few pictures of your trails, when you can. It must be nice to have access to those. Smile

JBJ: Isn't it funny how those streaks happen and you don't even realize it? You might want to go out and do two SUPER EASY miles unless you are really tired.

As for me, I am trying a belt pouch thingy on my run today. It is for the phone. I have tried a few things and for the life of me, I cannot get used to running with a phone. I REALLY want to bring it to the Los Angeles Marathon to take pictures. As for that, considering I haven't trained for it, I'm as ready as I can be. It will be fun even though I'm not racing it. It is on local TV but I don't know if it's on nationally. I have the Hulk Hogan mustache and my bright green shirt and visor ready to go.

Have a good weekend.

Hell, no.  I barely have time for breathing and the swimming I do is from being a boater, so I know how to float and move but not how to properly swim.

Damaris

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Jack, if you have a SPI belt, make it tighter than you think it needs to be (the band is quite stretchy), and try a few different spots to put the phone. For me it works best right over my hip bone. If it's in the right spot I don't feel it at all (TWSS) and it doesn't bounce.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

AFM, I'm on day 19 of my streak of not running a single step. I had thought about trying a short test run this weekend, but while the ITBS has calmed down quite a bit, the foot that I mangled by limping thru the last half of my HM is still a little off. Guess it's bike and strength training for me for another week.

On a good note, there is a chiro/ortho practice that opened up near me that specializes in running and sports injuries. And they did a clinic at my Y. Clinic was ok, but they gave everyone there a free  videotaped gait analysis and assessment, so I'll be going in and doing that after I heal up a bit. AND I won the door prize of a $25 gift card at the LRS. Score! 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jack, if you have a SPI belt, make it tighter than you think it needs to be (the band is quite stretchy), and try a few different spots to put the phone. For me it works best right over my hip bone. If it's in the right spot I don't feel it at all (TWSS) and it doesn't bounce.

I don't have anything other than that pouch thing DW has. It's called the Kanga pouch or something. It goes in the shorts and had a flap with a magnet that clips it shut. My problem is that I have never run with anything so I'm just not used to it.

SheCan

Morning all!

Jimmy-- sounds like you've earned that rest day.  A streak is fun occasionally, but it doesn't always do your body good.

Jack-- you always could carry your phone in your hand.  LOL@ the Hulk Hogan mustache!  Just go out and have a blast and high five as many kids as you can!  Enjoy and good luck to you.

Docket-- that's how I feel about swimming.  I keep thinking I'd like to try a triathlon, but then, I just never feel quite compelled to put it into action.

I'm getting ready to head to Las Cruces for my race tomorrow.  Hubby always wants to go early, and I always want to go late.  Hmmmm.... anyway, while he's in the bathroom, its my chance to not be 'getting ready'. 

Good luck everyone racing (including ME)!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jack - Have fun this weekend.

Ginny - The screw shoes are getting tested on the course tonight.  First run in them.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Amazonian Princess

Hello, Penguins!

Ginny - (from last night) with limited experience I would say that "regular" oats are like shoe-string french fries and steel cut are like waffle fries. Equally delicious but steel cut take longer to cook and have greater texture. Like couscous on steroids. Just my opinion

Docket - a bike ride with tornado warnings? Sounds like Kansas. No worries, I'm sure you have plenty of red shoes to click together.

Zelanie - robotics tournament sounds awesome! DH would completely geek over it (he's an R & D tech)

Jimmy - I did a 13 day streak in December and it gave me the confidence to start building distance. I stopped earlier than I wanted because I had a sore back after volunteering at a food bank and tossing 30 pound boxes to keep up with the men. That being said, one of my goals is to stop having "rest day guilt". Hope you enjoy whatever the evening holds for you!

Jack K - pics of the 'stache or it didn't happen?

Bin - Yuck at the haze coming in. Yay for running before work!

SO42 - Sorry to hear you're injured. Limping through the last part of a half sounds miserable and I hope you're better soon!

She Can - Good luck with your race! Is this the ultra?

Awood - in case I haven't said it before, way to go with cutting out tobacco! Are you racing, too?

AFM, thiry minute chair massage at work in a few hours then yoga and foam rolling tonight. Plan to go into my weekend already mellow

I can. I will. I am.