Beginners and Beyond

I can't understand why I am not losing weight (Read 510 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

No seriousness

Off the soapbox kids might be reading.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

just stop eating like King Henry VIII you fat bastard.

I blame the Holidays. I fixed 2 pans of ribs on Christmas Day and we had a lot of candy in the house that we normally don't.

After the first of the year I will start eatng better and lose some weight

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It's the processed and artificial sweeteners.

How can diet soda cause weight gain. I have seen those studies and do not understand them.

Regular soda has about 200 calories a can vs o for diet.

I only drink 2-3 cans a day.

I am sure there are some negative effects of drinking them but I don't understand the weight gain part.

Damaris

CrisRuns

How can diet soda cause weight gain. I have seen those studies and do not understand them.

Regular soda has about 200 calories a can vs o for diet.

I only drink 2-3 cans a day.

I am sure there are some negative effects of drinking them but I don't understand the weight gain part.

Not all "experts" agree on this, but here are a couple of links on diet soda making you fat

http://news.menshealth.com/diet-soda-fat/2012/06/21/

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500194_162-2330142.html

kitteh

I've read that our bodies are evolutionarily  primed to expect a caloric influx to go along with sweet flavors, and when that doesn't happen it might cause you to seek those calories elsewhere, by eating more, without realizing it. I've also read that people who use artificial no-calorie sweeteners feel like they can consume more elsewhere because they're "saving" on calories with their coke zero.

Personally I've never liked pop (hey, I'm from MN. It's POP!) and I'm glad that I never had to deal with giving it up. Recently on a flight my almost-3 yr old was asking for lemonade, but they didn't have any so the flight attendant came by and gave me a can of Sprite. Caffeine free, he noted. I didn't give it to her, and I'm not actually sure that Sprite would be any worse for her than lemonade, but it kind of horrified me that someone would suggest pop as a suitable beverage for a toddler.

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

Sloooow.

Apparently a lot of people think Sprite is toddler friendly. My kids have been offered it a lot instead of lemonade. They've never had soda. Sprite seems to be like a gateway soda, lol.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I figured my comment wouldn't go over too well ha. It's truth though. I am running a bit more as I've never done a streak this long before - 32 days and about 9 miles a run. My goal is to get to 155 for my April marathon. I was 163 today.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

sunfastrose

Fatty McFatFat

Not all "experts" agree on this, but here are a couple of links on diet soda making you fat

http://news.menshealth.com/diet-soda-fat/2012/06/21/

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500194_162-2330142.html

If you read the second article it is not causal connections (drink diet soda = gain weight) but correlative (people who drink diet sodas tend to eat more because hey - I'm being good by drinking diet, so I'll get the loaded burger!).  For the first, I'd like to see more research.  Full disclosure - I live on diet soda, am at a healthy weight, but would like to lose 5-10 pounds.

Better I Leave

Wouldn't it be nice to eat cookie dough and lose weight?! I WISH that was diet food

I'd be more inclined to accept genetically modified food if they could "genetically modify" celery to taste like chocolate cake, ya know?

Mmmmm...beer

What matters is how much fat and calories one eats.

Half right.  Calories are all that matters when it comes to weight loss.  Eating fat does not make you fat, eating too many calories, regardless of where they come from, makes you fat.  True, there are other health issues related to the composition of the calories you ingest, but if you burn more than you take in, you'll lose weight (barring a small percentage of the population with legitimate medical issues, such as thyroid disorders, PCOS, or other metabolic issues).

My apologies for the srs. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Sprite seems to be like a gateway soda, lol.

Must be the green packaging.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

notimeforthat

Just a small observation. I ran exclusively for almost 5 years and lost not one lb.

When I started cycling and swimming and doing a lot of intense efforts on the bike and tempo runs (you don't need LSD runs for shorter distance tris like Olympic and down) is when I dropped weight.

I have lost 12 lbs almost since starting triathlon and 6 of those were this year alone (I am 39, so the metabolic rate seems to be ok still).

As for what to eat? I eat what I want within reason and don't eat a lot of fast food or desserts. When I was tracking my intake, I was eating around 2500 cal. a day, which is right at what I eat now.

GC100k

Recently on a flight my almost-3 yr old was asking for lemonade, but they didn't have any so the flight attendant came by and gave me a can of Sprite. Caffeine free, he noted. I didn't give it to her, and I'm not actually sure that Sprite would be any worse for her than lemonade, but it kind of horrified me that someone would suggest pop as a suitable beverage for a toddler.

Sprite Ingredients: Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sucrose, citric acid, natural flavors, sodium citrate, sodium benzoate (to protect taste).

Canned Lemonade ingredients: Pure filtered water, sweeteners (high fructose corn syrup, sugar), lemon juice from concentrate, less than 5% each of the following: natural flavors, citric acid (provides tartness), modified cornstarch, glycerol, ester of wood rosin, sodium hexametaphosphate and sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate and EDTA (to protect taste), yellow #5.

CrisRuns

Maybe you are not eating enough.:-)

Sloooow.

Sprite Ingredients: Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sucrose, citric acid, natural flavors, sodium citrate, sodium benzoate (to protect taste).

Canned Lemonade ingredients: Pure filtered water, sweeteners (high fructose corn syrup, sugar), lemon juice from concentrate, less than 5% each of the following: natural flavors, citric acid (provides tartness), modified cornstarch, glycerol, ester of wood rosin, sodium hexametaphosphate and sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate and EDTA (to protect taste), yellow #5.

I didn't even know lemonade came in a can. We use Simply Lemonade, this one is Raspberry Lemonade, mixed 50/50 with water, ingredients are: pure filtered water, natural sugar, lemon juice, raspberry puree, natural flavours.