Beginners and Beyond

Well, Here I Go (Read 80 times)

tcg

A lot of you know my history from RW (brief synopsis) and the fact I've been getting ready for the Detroit Free Press International Half this Sunday.

I think I'm ready but I had to cut way back the last week or so because of some broken bone fragments in both heels from some bone spurs that broke off. Had a third shot of steroids in both ankles today to get me through the run.

The race starts in  Downtown Detroit and travels over The Ambassador Bridge into Windsor Canada, after a few miles it's one mile under water through the Detroit Windsor Tunnel. 24,000 runners with most of them in the half.

Good news is thunderstorms for the entire race are predicted with 20 mph wind.

My wife and 32 year old daughter are running as well but they will be 45 minutes or more behind me.

This is my first long race since the stroke almost 2 years ago to the day.

Cardiologist asked if he could talk me out of it, he couldn't so off I go.

Spending the night in a luxury room at the Marriott  about half mile from the start with the Expo a very short walk away at Cobo Center. This is also the 40th running of the race so there are lots of extras going on.

The biggest thing I might not be ready for is the run up to the bridge and the exit of the tunnel. Not sure of the incline but the tunnel is actually a pretty good incline. Tunnel exit is at mile 8 and the bridge is in the first couple miles.

RunningOnSand

Sounds like it'll be a helluva race! Go get 'em!!! Hoping you write (and post!) a RR here - and that the steroid shots do the trick!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good luck! I’ll be there doing the full (hubby will be the running the HM). Rock it!

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Good luck to you & your family tomorrow! Hope the weather holds out for you (and Docket). I used a different user name over that other place, did you find a way to deal with your Garmin in the tunnel?

tcg

Good luck to you & your family tomorrow! Hope the weather holds out for you (and Docket). I used a different user name over that other place, did you find a way to deal with your Garmin in the tunnel?

Never had a chance to test it. Life always gets in the way.

I'm gonna wing it and hope the reports I have read that indicate the footpod should take over once it loses GPS signal are accurate.

But... just in case I'm also wearing my old Timex Ironman and have a pace card in my pocket.

Worse case I can catch up with the next mile marker out of the tunnel. Although by that point I may just be running by feel and not even care about pace.

This particular race my goal is finish without dropping.

I have my Frogg Togg hat and a poncho for the rain. At least it won't be bitter cold so I can wear light weight shorts, a single shirt, and a very light jacket all of which dry quickly.

This hat is awesome by the way. I can tuck my iPod under the hat and it stays nice and dry.

tcg

Good luck! I’ll be there doing the full (hubby will be the running the HM). Rock it!

Have fun and stay dry. Staying dry does not seem like an option though.

Turns out my kid has several friends running as well. One girl she went to high school with ended up pregnant for the race. She would have been in front of me but she's going to stay with my wife and daughter instead. Doctor gave her the go ahead but said to take it easy.

GEHamlin

Good luck to you!!! 

KCRuns

Good luck! Can’t wait to read your RR!

GinnyinPA

Good luck and have fun.

Good luck! I ran it a few years ago, it's one of my favorites. Interesting course, good support by race & crowd. Some comments:

- Seeing the sunrise while running across the Ambassador Bridge was really something.

- The one stretch in Windsor along the river from mile 4 to 7 is packed with spectators, the Canadians really turn out.

- I totally lost signal in the tunnel, I had no footpod, and older Garmin with no built-in accelerometer. So I have no idea what my pace was, and it screwed up my mileage for the rest of the race. Actually lost it again later for a stretch under an overpass; we ran on a shut-down section of the Lodge Freeway, but I don't think that's part of the course anymore.

- You go a bit up & down on the bridge, and a bit down & up in the tunnel, but nothing really bad, and it's early in the race anyway. The rest is pretty much totally flat.

- Some awesome homemade aid stations, especially in the stretch through Indian Village, with all kinds of stuff - M&M's, bacon, etc., and of course beer. I took a beer late in the race when I was in IDGAF mode, and it was the most delicious thing ever.

Sucks that you will have crappy weather - that will likely cut down on the crowds (as well as the sunrise). Enjoy anyway!

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The email they just sent sounds like they might evacuate the course but we are still up to start tomorrow.

Damaris

oldfartrunner

Good Luck TCG!

LRB

The biggest thing I might not be ready for is the run up to the bridge and the exit of the tunnel. Not sure of the incline but the tunnel is actually a pretty good incline.

Neither of them are all that bad and actually the worst of any type of climb for me on that entire course was at miles 24 ish and 26 ish.

The 10 series Garmin (I ran it with a 410)  had an auto pause feature on the GPS that you had to disable so running through the tunnel wouldn't screw you up. I'm not sure if the 20 and 30 series has that but I had complete data for the entire course. Those who did not disable it or could not disable it did not.

Good luck. It's a great race!

The 10 series Garmin (I ran it with a 410)  had an auto pause feature on the GPS that you had to disable so running through the tunnel wouldn't screw you up. I'm not sure if the 20 and 30 series has that but I had complete data for the entire course. Those who did not disable it or could not disable it (or who had a crappy old 210) did not.

Dave

LRB

lol