Beginners and Beyond

Mental Endurance for Marathon (Read 209 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

You guys and gals make this way too complicated. Just run mofos.

You people have issues 

B-Plus

Does the F in FSocks stand for flippant? I like your off the wall comments. Big grin

If he is a tube sock, the F could stand for something else.

Love the Half

I found that training through anything and everything really changed my definition of hard. -5 degrees, snowing sideways, and wind? Go run. 90 degrees with 87% humidity and no breeze? Go run. Legs dead, working overtime, and feeling stressed to the max? Still go run. I'm not saying I never missed a run but I ran a lot of days that I absolutely would have skipped before. And I've done a lot of workouts that I would have said were too hard before. If my plan says to do something now I pretty much find a way at all costs, even rearranging days or taking vacation from work. I don't ever want to race another marathon (7 so far) with a single doubt in my mind that I could have trained better.

I think that's a bit extreme.  No, I don't make excuses and I do drag my ass out the door on some miserable days but when I feel like taking a day off, I take a day off.  I went on vacation in the middle of training for my first marathon and turned a planned 70+ mile week into a 19 mile week.  I don't think it made a damn bit of difference.  All of my training still led me to believe I could run between 3:10 and 3:15 and I even told my wife that's when I thought I'd finish.  I ran 3:12.  Because I have kids that get sick and a wife that gets sick and me that gets sick and a job that occasionally requires something other than 9-5, and times when I've tweaked something, and times when I'd just flat rather drink a beer than go run, I have entered every single race I have ever run and will enter every single race I will ever run in the future knowing with 100% certainty that I could have trained better.  But, this ain't what I do for a living and it matters a whole lot less than taking care of my wife or my kids when needed and sometimes it matters less than a good stout or an IPA.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

B-Plus

By the way, where are you guys getting all these numbers and percentages from? Can somebody make a chart?

MI_Tim

Hey Fsocks, why do you post unhelpful bullshit whenever someone asks a legitimate question?

+1

Birdwell

in all seriousness, one thing I find helpful is to make the important decisions prior to the race. (I find this to be great life advice too)

I try to think of the problems I may encounter, and I decide what I will do should that happen. I find that when I try to make decisions in the heat of the moment, I make bad decisions. But if I've thought through the problem before hand, I've already decided what I'll do, and I only have to do what I planned.  Decide before hand, what will make me slow down or what will make me speed up, what would make me drop. Don't think on race day, just race.

"Plan your race, race your plan"

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

You people have issues 

But, this ain't what I do for a living and it matters a whole lot less than taking care of my wife or my kids when needed and sometimes it matters less than a good stout or an IPA.

And you're a good man for that, LTH.  (Even the family part Wink)

DavePNW

in all seriousness, one thing I find helpful is to make the important decisions prior to the race. (I find this to be great life advice too)

I try to think of the problems I may encounter, and I decide what I will do should that happen. I find that when I try to make decisions in the heat of the moment, I make bad decisions. But if I've thought through the problem before hand, I've already decided what I'll do, and I only have to do what I planned.  Decide before hand, what will make me slow down or what will make me speed up, what would make me drop. Don't think on race day, just race.

This is great in theory, but much harder in practice. Especially if you have not run a marathon before, or not run many -- you will not really know (I mean REALLY know) what to expect until you physically experience it. Makes it tough to plan.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This is great in theory, but much harder in practice. Especially if you have not run a marathon before, or not run many -- you will not really know (I mean REALLY know) what to expect until you physically experience it. Makes it tough to plan.

What makes it hard in practice is not having the experience in making quick assessments and good decisions when the race doesn't go according to plan. That's experience that can be picked up in running shorter races than the marathon and also in training when making mid-workout adjustments. One of the factors I see with many people who run marathons is that they rarely race other distances and race rarely, often only a few times a year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Birdwell

well, yeah.

most of life is harder than you think it's going to be, at the time.

I would disagree though. I think that makes it all the more important to make the decision beforehand.

If it's really hard, but you haven't hit the threshold for dropping, or slowing down, suck it up.

It may be tough to plan, but it's still possible.

Will run for scenery.

Not to get all flippy-socks, but since you asked for different viewpoints, here's mine : If you need mental toughness, you're going too fast.  Slow down and enjoy the run!

Apart from that, I read something interesting that might be helpful for the non-slow crowd.  That is that your brain automatically limits your physical output before you get to the point of causing serious damage to your body. (IOW, a normal person can't just "exert themself to death.")   But one of the things that happens as you repeatedly push yourself to these (brain-imposed)  limits during training (shudder!) is that the limit where the brain shuts you body down gradually shifts closer and closer to the body's true limits.

I think similar things happen with severe mental illness and meth heads. I'm just sayin' ....

Big grin

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Love the Half

What makes it hard in practice is not having the experience in making quick assessments and good decisions when the race doesn't go according to plan. That's experience that can be picked up in running shorter races than the marathon and also in training when making mid-workout adjustments. One of the factors I see with many people who run marathons is that they rarely race other distances and race rarely, often only a few times a year.

Terrific observation George.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Fistmaster General

I just came here to support your theory that FSocks is full of shit.

"I... am a fucking moron." - MattM

Village people

I just came here to support your theory that FSocks is full of shit.

I think we've decided that his sock his full of something else.