Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES have the attention span of a... (Read 38 times)

onemile

As if you do now?

As if I do. My positive split marathon history:

#1 - 16 min

#2 - 6 min

#3 - 2 min - actually something like 1:45, not too bad

#4 - 6 min - regressing! Maybe my next one will be 16 min.

Every non-marathon race I've done has been a pretty significant negative split (granted not a large sample size, but still). I just suck at marathoning apparently.

I would argue that a small positive split is better than a pretty significant negative split any day and would result in a faster time.  Your marathon #3 is actually probably pretty ideal.

LRB

Nah. I know Lily trains harder than I do. She just goes out harder at the start. I've only negative splitted when I intentionally held back my pace the first half even though I felt like running faster.

Right, I intentionally held back the first 4 miles last month with the idea of running a negative split in mind but still ended up running a positive split. 

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Yep, I would agree with that.  I looked at the NYCM results, very few people beyond the elites have achieved a negative split.  Depends on the course as well - NYC or Boston are tough to negative split because of hills.

I would argue that a small positive split is better than a pretty significant negative split any day and would result in a faster time.  Your marathon #3 is actually probably pretty ideal.

onemile

Yep, I would agree with that.  I looked at the NYCM results, very few people beyond the elites have achieved a negative split.  Depends on the course as well - NYC or Boston are tough to negative split because of hills.

And the elites are doing it as a matter of race strategy - not to run the best time, but to win.  The rest of us don't have to worry about that.

onemile

Right, I intentionally held back the first 4 miles last month with the idea of running a negative split in mind but still ended up running a positive split. 

Can't help ya there. 

happylily

I agree as well. Also, we must take into consideration the nature of the course. Boston is almost impossible to negative split. Overall though, for me, I think knowing exactly what I can do on race day and then deciding how fast I want my first half and then my second half, and doing exactly that, has worked ok so far. Out of 16 marathons, maybe my first and my 14th were completely off my goals.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Dude, you're doing it wrong.

happylily

Dude, you're doing it wrong.

Was that in New York?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Yes, Williamsburg.  I heard that orthodox Jews there don't give a hoot about the marathon, and it's true - Not a holiday for them.  Plus hordes of scantily clad women could not be good for the soul.

Was that in New York?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Was that in New York?

I think so but not this year?  I mean, there are no parkas on the course.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes, Williamsburg.  I heard that orthodox Jews there don't give a hoot about the marathon, and it's true - Not a holiday for them.  Plus hordes of scantily clad women could not be good for the soul.

Every time I go through that area during the marathon is so quiet. They are coming out from the temple and all but they do not cheer and just look at us.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Question: would you ever hit your elbow's funny bone and not remember? It hurts but I don't recall hitting it with Thor's hammer.

Damaris

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Yep, this year, from the RWOL slideshow.  Not everyone ran in parkas I suppose.

I think so but not this year?  I mean, there are no parkas on the course.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Depends - Were you hypnotized?

Question: would you ever hit your elbow's funny bone and not remember? It hurts but I don't recall hitting it with Thor's hammer.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Gee, that sounds like a fun run, FreeSoul...maybe you and Rocky should have run through the cornfield to get out of the wind a bit.  Or was the corn already harvested?

The corn was already harvested, so the wind was cutting right through..

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)