Beginners and Beyond

Occult Penguin Tuesdailies (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

November 18 is Occult Day! I hear 'Twilight Zone' theme music....break out the ouija boards!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Of course, some Penguins being in 'real winter' land, they are always occold these days....

Warmer in San Antonio this morning than yesterday morning...all the way up to 36 degrees this morning!  Supposed to hit 50 today and be sunny, which will be nice for my after-work run/walk.  Planning on about 3 to 4 miles in a local park.

tracilynn

Feels like temp is 12° right now but we will be close to 70s by Sunday. Yes.

I just ordered the garmin heart strap that pairs with my Garmin watch.  Now which book to get?

planning to go the gym today but I feel a cold trying to happen. Scratchy throat and stuff.  About to down some echinacea tea.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Don't know much about the occult -- I'm a good Presybterian girl, and we pretend such stuff doesn't exist.  But it IS "occold" today, with a high of 33 and 14 mph wind.  My knee is feeling better today, less achy, so that's all kinds of good.  My massage last night was good too, although I think when I go back I'll ask her to use a bit more pressure.  She found some knots, but I'm not convinced they were flattened out.  But it's all good -- she was new to me, and I to her, so the first time isn't always mind-blowing ... are we still talking about  massage here?

Scotty -- Have a good after-work run!!

traci -- get The Book by Maffetone!!  Hope you feel better!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

It's a balmy 55 right now, warming to the mid 70's later.  Today it was so cold I actually had to wear a long sleeved running top! Fortunately, I can still wear shorts. Smile

Traci: Which watch do you have? DW just got the purple 220.

Scotty: Sounds like perfect weather. I love it when it's in the 50's.

HsM: "Good Presbyterian girl..." That's what they all say.

As for me I am running my only speed workout of the week, 3x1 mile at a 7:30 pace with a warm up and cool down. They rest of my miles this week will be easy and then race day on Saturday.  DD1 is going with me and DW is taking DD2 to yet another swim meet so no 5k for them.

Have fun and stay warm.

GinnyinPA

It's 25 now but feels like 7 thanks to strong winds.  High today is only supposed to be 28.  Brrr!  I don't know whether I'll run outdoors or not.  That's too cold for this desert rat.

Scotty - your winter temps almost make up for your summer ones.  Enjoy your run this afternoon.

Traci - sorry you're coming down with a cold.  That's what you get when you hang out with kids at a birthday party.

HopesMom - I'm glad your knee is feeling better and that you were able to get a massage after all.  Finding the right pressure is hard.  That's why I do self massage - I know I can get it right.  There's just that problem of not being able to reach.

Jack - enjoy your speed workout.

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Laughed at my alarm and went back to sleep this morning, running 5 or 6ish during a long period of downtime in my experiment today. Joke's on me because it's actually going to be colder when I go out than it was this morning :c Debating whether I want to keep pushing for 6 running days a week or drop back to 5 - you can read my novel in the dailies thread if you want to :P I was tired yesterday and still a little sore, but back to normal today.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I'm going to guess that DW wants to run inside today.  That is admitting defeat to winter.  

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  I was conducting a deposition all morning but I am out now. A run with hubby tonight.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Got a cold/blustery 5.1 miles done :-)  Living on the water is nice in the summer (breeze)... in the winter (or I guess it is still only fall) it is not quite as nice!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hope you feel better, Traci.  Maybe the gym workout will sweat everything out.

Glad your knee is feeling better, HsM.   And may your next massage be mind-blowing for you.  That might work better if you were in Colorado, Washington, or Oregon...

Jack/Ginny, I would rather have 70s than 50s and I'd take my summer temps over winter temps any time..  Just hate cooler and cold weather! Thankfully, cool and cold don't last long here in my area.

Jack, I think you should go motivate the soccer team again.

Is that desert rat, Ginny, or..with the cold, should that be dessert rat?  Gotta layer up for the winter! 

Hope your weather behaves for you this afternoon Lauren!

Conducting a deposition, Damaris?  So if they do something wrong you smack them with a baton?

Jack, I think she just wants to admit defeet to where they will stay nice and warm.

Congrats on your miles, sapf.  So does the water freeze over in the winter?  Do you get that 'lake-effect' cold stuff?  BRRRR!!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes, indeed, Scotty.

Damaris

Hi fellow Penguins,

Ran a quick (for me) 2 miles this morning in crisp, clear 10 degrees. No wind, just beautiful. Still getting used to what to wear and I overdressed my head. Cut my time a little short, and almost talked myself out of not getting out there. So glad I didn't, even though it was shorter. Turned up the gas a little for a quicker pace, which felt good.

I giggle inside when I hear co-workers moan about the cold. I'm thinking, "Jeez, it was a great morning to gear up and get a run in." Not sure if this puts me in a "snobbery" group, but I just love knowing that I get to enjoy something that most people wouldn't even think of. Somehow it's related to the fact that I will NEVER stop baking with butter. Not sure the connection, but it fits in my brain.

Have a great day everyone!!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Singer who runs a smidge

I dunno, Kathleen, I bake with butter and there's NO WAY I'm going outside to run (or walk) in this freezing weather!!  Maybe you're just weird.  Or I am ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

I dunno, Kathleen, I bake with butter and there's NO WAY I'm going outside to run (or walk) in this freezing weather!!  Maybe you're just weird.  Or I am ...

Hopesmom - You wouldn't be the first to call me that.  

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K