Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #30 (Read 31 times)

DavePNW

That's why I'm starting to have doubts about the theory of evolution: In less than what? 2 billion years? Less? We went from being random elements, to amino acids, to unicellular living things, to birds, to mammals, to human beings. Given how long it can take for a random evolutionary change to appear, and to catch on, I find it's a mathematically (statistically) challenging theory.

Well to me the statistical probabilities just suggest that it is super unlikely we will ever detect intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

Dave

Cyberic

Well to me the statistical probabilities just suggest that it is super unlikely we will ever detect intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

Right. I would think the statistical probabilities of earth being hit by a random huge celestial object are greater than detecting intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, unless the other intelligent life form is much more advanced than us and has a way to find us using some kind of "intelli-meter" that we don't know about. If it's all random from looking in the sky with a telescope from our solar system... I will not see an alien in my life time, and neither will my kids nor my grand kids.

Baboon

delicate flower

Agreed, although I think simpler life is a possibility, even here in this solar system.

<3

Cyberic

GinnyinPA

And that's why you wear spikes.

Cyberic

And that's why you wear spikes.

I wasn't wearing spikes this morning Smile

I can actually run on that, just not fast, since the ice is bumpy. Flat ice is a lot more slippery.

When the roads and sidewalks are like that all over, I will wear spikes, but the city has done a good job clearing the sidewalks, and running with spikes when there's no ice and/or snow is very uncomfortable.

DavePNW

Agreed, although I think simpler life is a possibility, even here in this solar system.

Sometimes finding intelligent life is a challenge right here on earth.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Sometimes finding intelligent life is a challenge right here on earth.

FYP

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

We are getting awfully philosophical here today. Can we just get back to talking about pooping and stuff?

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

We are getting awfully philosophical here today. Can we just get back to talking about pooping and stuff?

Cyber's fault.  Somehow he jumped from me talking about my Rubik's Cube to him discussing the Theory of Evolution.

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

On another note, the guy who usually runs the office Super Bowl squares is not doing it this year because he said it is too much work.  Dammit!  So now I am thinking maybe it is too much work for me to cut him a paycheck from now on.

<3

Cyberic

Cyber's fault.  Somehow he jumped from me talking about my Rubik's Cube to him discussing the Theory of Evolution.

You're the one who talked about the 123 billion years, because probabilities... Your fault.

DavePNW

On another note, the guy who usually runs the office Super Bowl squares is not doing it this year because he said it is too much work.  Dammit!  So now I am thinking maybe it is too much work for me to cut him a paycheck from now on.

You gotta know better than to piss off the payroll guy. Or the IT guy.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

You gotta know better than to piss off the payroll guy. Or the IT guy.

Or accounting  and purchasing.  You want stuff, be nice.

Baboon

delicate flower

In running news:

international governing body World Athletics won’t impose a blanket ban on the Vaporfly sneakers in a decision set for Friday. The organization is expected to say all shoes currently on the market using advanced technology will remain legal

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/asics-shares-slip-report-nike-053344311.html

<3