Beginners and Beyond

Normal to get running shoes an entire size bigger than you wear in other shoes? (Read 115 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So... I got new running shoes today. SUPER excited about them. Asics Kayano 20. Paid a small fortune but I think they'll work really well for me. Except.... I am afraid they are too big. Even though the guy at the LRS assisted they need to big that big....

I wear an 8.5 generally in non-running shoes. Every now and then I will fit into a 9 in something, but 95% of my shoes (and I have a lot of shoes....might be a little vice of mine) are 8.5. When I got fitted for running shoes for the first time, the LRS person who fitted me suggested I wear a 9 in running shoes. Feet swell when you run ect. ect. I took his advice and it was a good decision I think. I have worn a 9 in Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s for a year and never had an issue with the fit.

Today, though, the guy at the LRS insisted I need a 9.5. He gave the same spiel about feet swelling, ect. I have never worn a 9.5 in anything. I was reluctant but he was pretty insistent. The shoes felt fine in the store and I took them for a 2 mile run/walk outside after and they seemed fine. However, it is a cold day and I had thick wool socks on.

I got them home and tried them on again and I am afraid they are big. I can shove my toes all the way to the tip and fit a finger in between my heel and the heel of the shoe, and when I shove my heel all the way back to the heel of the shoe and put my thumb at the toe between my toe and the toe of the shoe, the width of my thumb sideways fits. Is that normal?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

You should have some room but from what you are describing that seems too big.  Hard to say without seeing, of course.  My shoe size only varies by a half size or so depending on the fit/brand, etc.

My LRS also recommended shoes that were too big for me in the toe box and I was constantly getting blisters.  I went back and got the smaller size and much better.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I wear a size 8 in normal shoes and wear a 9 in running shoes, so yes.  However, it does change depending on the shoe and the brand.

Damaris

Just B.S.

I think it depends on the shoe and manufacturer. Which makes sense because their are bound to be slight differences.

I take a 9 in Asics if the shoe is normal width. 8.5 in a wide,, 8.5 in Saucony and an 8 in my Merrills. My normal non running shoe is 8.5.

If you think it's too big, it's likely too big.

Running shoes do vary a bit -- I normally take a 10, same as my "street" shoe, but drop down to 9.5 for some models.  There shouldn't really be any wiggle room in the heel, and slightly snug is better than slightly loose.

LRB

I usually purchase a half size larger for my high mileage trainer, and my standard shoe size for interval and racing shoes, unless the manufacturer recommends something different.

In the case of the Kayano 20, Asics recommends going a half size smaller than normal:

• Sizing: Fits large; purchase 1/2 size smaller than standard running shoe length

You should go back and get an 8, or an 8.5 if you think you need the extra room.  A 9.5 is too fuckin big.

View the shoe specs here.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I usually purchase a half size larger for my high mileage trainer, and my standard shoe size for interval and racing shoes, unless the manufacturer recommends something different.

In the case of the Kayano 20, Asics recommends going a half size smaller than normal:

• Sizing: Fits large; purchase 1/2 size smaller than standard running shoe length

You should go back and get an 8, or an 8.5 if you think you need the extra room.  A 9.5 is too fuckin big.

View the shoe specs here.

Interesting. On Road Runner Sports reviews some people were complaining about them running long. I think I will go back and try on a 9 and an 8.5.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Will run for scenery.

Every brand of shoe seems to have a different idea of size.  "Brand X tends to run a bit (small/large/???)"  So the number itself is really kind of meaningless.  Also, part of it has to do with the shape of your foot vs. the shape of the shoe.

After the fact, the question is do you get blisters from sliding around (too loose) or localized pain from being clamped down on (too tight).

My experience is that I've always erred on the side of too tight.  It felt okay in the store, but later my toes felt scrunched or the ends of my toes felt pounded, etc.

From what you said, it sounds like they might be a bit loose, but (as you mentioned) your feet definitely do swell when you run.  Also, they grow larger when you run regularly vs. when you've been inactive (I gained 1.5 sizes)

My hunch (not having felt the fit firsthand) would be to err on the side of too loose.  If you feel hot spots (blisters forming) definitely try to go down a size.  Otherwise, I'd say no symptoms = good fit.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Inspires on the left (the model I have been wearing for a year), new Kayanos on the right.....that's a pretty significant difference.... the guy at the store was very insistent that they were the right size though. I have 2 weeks to return them, so I will take them for a spin on the treadmill tomorrow with thinner socks and see how it feels I guess.

Will run for scenery.

Wow! How do you find running shoes that aren't WTF ugly ?  Most of my shoes hurt just looking at them.  I assumed that's just the way it is....

Anyways, the new ones do look a lot bigger.  But since you have 2 weeks I'd say run in them and see.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Inspires on the left (the model I have been wearing for a year), new Kayanos on the right.....that's a pretty significant difference.... the guy at the store was very insistent that they were the right size though. I have 2 weeks to return them, so I will take them for a spin on the treadmill tomorrow with thinner socks and see how it feels I guess.

Since they are different brands, there sizing might be different.  Try the smaller size.

Damaris

Antipodean

I have always had running shoes a whole size bigger than my normal size. I'm about a 9.5 and normally have a 10.5 in running shoes. My last pair of Brooks (2 years ago) always gave me a sore big toe. That's because the dumb sales lady sold me a 10 instead (I suspect because they were out of 10.5s). Now I'm back to 10.5s (in Kinvaras) and find them excellent. Since you have 2 weeks to return them in, jsut try them. I always take my own running socks with me to try on running shoes so I am confident they fit. Once I forgot the socks so I just bought a new pair, opened the pack and used them to try the shoes on. A run or two should tell you what you need to know anyway. Keep us posted.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Zelanie

My running shoes are 9s and I wear 8s in regular shoes.  And that's in Sauconys, and they seem to run bigger than both the Mizunos and Asics that I had been wearing before.

Baboon

delicate flower

All of my running shoes are a full size larger than all of my dress shoes.  (12.5 vs 11.5).  Doesn't matter what brand.

<3

DavePNW

My non-running shoes are 11-11.5 (they don't all fit the same either), generally had been 11.5 for athletic shoes. First time I decided I wanted to get more serious & buy running shoes at the LRS they sold me 11.5's, which worked fine. Several pairs of 11.5's from the same LRS later, I got a salesperson who sized me & insisted I should be wearing at least 12's, and could probably go 12.5, but that would likely feel weird to me based on what I had been wearing. It was like my whole world was shattered (insert dramatic music here). Maybe it's not such an exact science? I have since found she is one of their most experienced employees, and has run a shitload of marathons. So I guess I will be sticking with 12's for now. I have only had Brooks & Saucony, they seem to run about the same. At risk of jinxing myself, I have never had problems with blisters in either size (except for the time I tried to run without socks).

Dave