Beginners and Beyond

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! Sundailies! (Read 33 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning! Disneyland HM done with hubby. Man, the Orlando races are so much better. Five minutes in a water station without a way to go around it was among the tight disasters of this race. We had fun though and he got his second moon on the Fanatics.

Congrats to you and DH!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Yep. But I find power would be a better way to describe how I feel I've worked. Power being work / time. Running 10 k easy, and running 10 k fast does not have the same effect on me, even though I used they are the same amount of work.

It seems that Garmin does not use that metric.  I ran 6 and 6.04 easy last week and 6.12 at 10k pace yet burned 826, 842 and 840 calories respectively.  Not much of a difference yet the 10k was 8 and 7 minutes faster.

I come from the school of thought though that you burn more calories throughout the day when running fast than you do in a single session of running easy at the same distance, so I agree with your premise in principle.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LRB, but you were not wearing the HRM right?  Most Garmins use the HR/effort formula but if you don't have the HRM, the formula it uses is less accurate. I burn more on race effort than easy runs even if the same distance. I run with hubby and take more time but my caloric burn is less because the effort is less.

Damaris

LRB

LRB, but you were not wearing the HRM right?  Most Garmins use the HR/effort formula but if you don't have the HRM, the formula it uses is less accurate. I burn more on race effort than easy runs even if the same distance. I run with hubby and take more time but my caloric burn is less because the effort is less.

No, I do not.  And I must be honest in that like D Pizzle whatever number Garmin spits out is good enough for me.

Currently it says I burn between 137 & 145 calories per mile but if I found out that was 30 too high or 50 too low neither would really bother me.

B-Plus

6 miles later. It's raining like a mofo now so maybe I'll hit the trails and get my shoes all muddy.

DavePNW

20 miles today.

Average pace today was 8:47. Which is about where it's supposed to be, although with my usual massive negative split; 9-10mpm for the first 5, then got into a decent groove, then decided to pick it up at the end for 8:03 & 7:53 in the last 2. Pretty humid today, not ideal conditions, but overall the run felt good in the later miles. Until those last 2. So what is somewhat disconcerting:

1. I was totally sucking wind at the end, with 2 miles at basically GMP. That's the pace I'm going to try to run 26.2 at? What am I thinking?

2. Total time was 2:55. That was the exact time of my first 20-miler 2 years ago, 3 weeks before my first marathon. Which of course did not end well. Incidentally, that run was part of my then-record week of 37 miles. Ha ha.

So anyway, maybe this is all normal, but it's messing with my mind.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

No, I do not.  And I must be honest in that like D Pizzle whatever number Garmin spits out is good enough for me.

Currently it says I burn between 137 & 145 calories per mile but if I found out that was 30 too high or 50 too low neither would really bother me.

I have a hard time imagining consuming 2500 cal in one day..... and I am lucky if I get that much in on my LR days that are more than 16 miles  running is so much easier than eating.... at least for me it is.

Last week's 9 miler states I burned 1,004 (1:22:57), the Wednesday before that it says 1,009 (1:30:20) and the Wednesday before that it states 986 cals burned (1:34:38). Which is why I don't pay any attention to it

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

I have a hard time imagining consuming 2500 cal in one day..... and I am lucky if I get that much in on my LR days that are more than 16 miles  running is so much easier than eating.... at least for me it is.

Some of us here will cover for you. I lost 7.5 lb on my run this morning, but it will be back to normal by tomorrow morning. LRB would also comment but his hands are too busy shoving food into his face right now.

Dave

LRB

Average pace today was 8:47. Which is about where it's supposed to be, although with my usual massive negative split; 9-10mpm for the first 5, then got into a decent groove, then decided to pick it up at the end for 8:03 & 7:53 in the last 2. Pretty humid today, not ideal conditions, but overall the run felt good in the later miles. Until those last 2. So what is somewhat disconcerting:

1. I was totally sucking wind at the end, with 2 miles at basically GMP. That's the pace I'm going to try to run 26.2 at? What am I thinking?

2. Total time was 2:55. That was the exact time of my first 20-miler 2 years ago, 3 weeks before my first marathon. Which of course did not end well. Incidentally, that run was part of my then-record week of 37 miles. Ha ha.

So anyway, maybe this is all normal, but it's messing with my mind.

A couple of observations:

You most likely ran your first 20 miler too fast back then.  I was at 2 hours at the 15 mile mark today and in 2012 ran it way too flipping fast at 2:05.

If I go out and run a single mile at MP it would be uncomfortable.  If I run 4 of them the last one or two of them would be a struggle.  If I run 10 of them, again, the last one or two would be a struggle.

My point to that is the mind has a way of sometimes starting to check out when the end is near.  This true of any pace except for easy pace if you are a trained runner.

Or, you could be right and have digressed since your first marathon.  But do you really believe that?

outoftheblue

Morning! Disneyland HM done with hubby. Man, the Orlando races are so much better. Five minutes in a water station without a way to go around it was among the tight disasters of this race. We had fun though and he got his second moon on the Fanatics.

Congrats to Mr Docket and I'm glad you had fun.  This was the very first race I ever did and helped me fall in love with the sport.   I remember it being really crowded, but I had so much fun I didn't care.

Life is good.

Cyberic

I don't know you, but I would say you're the famous clydsedale size (I can't spell it) - you know, tall and broad and stuff?

I don't know that word or concept. I'm tall, I'm not narrow, but I wouldn't say I'm broad. My light weight is mostly from my thickness or lack of. I'm pretty much butt-less and chest-less. I have skinny thighs too. Not a description that will have RA women drooling at the thought of seeing me, LOL!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

A couple of observations:

You most likely ran your first 20 miler too fast back then.  I was at 2 hours at the 15 mile mark today and in 2012 ran it way too flipping fast at 2:05.

If I go out and run a single mile at MP it would be uncomfortable.  If I run 4 of them the last one or two of them would be a struggle.  If I run 10 of them, again, the last one or two would be a struggle.

My point to that is the mind has a way of sometimes starting to check out when the end is near.  This true of any pace except for easy pace if you are a trained runner.

Or, you could be right and have digressed since your first marathon.  But do you really believe that?

You guys are fast...  seriously running your 20's fast.

I don't have 20's, I have 18's.  Even so I run them at 2:30- 2:34  around an 8:30 pace.  My last 2-4 miles is in the 7:40 to 7:45 range and is *Nowhere* near my MP.  And my legs feel like Gumby Dammit.

Of 'course I am following a different plan type.  None of my LRs have any MP pacing.  I do however have seriously long ass tempos.  12-15 milers...  and they suck.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't know that word or concept. I'm tall, I'm not narrow, but I wouldn't say I'm broad. My light weight is mostly from my thickness or lack of. I'm pretty much butt-less and chest-less. I have skinny thighs too. Not a description that will have RA women drooling at the thought of seeing me, LOL!

lol. I think Clydesdale is the term used for tall/larger (not necessarily fat) or even muscular runners. You know, like the actual Clydesdale compared to say a Thoroughbred or Quarterhorse, they are all beautiful, strong animals but the Clydesdale is a powerhouse animal.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

I have a hard time imagining consuming 2500 cal in one day.....

From watching my weight drop on the scale, clearly I'm not doing a very good job at it.

LRB

You guys are fast...  seriously running your 20's fast.

I don't have 20's, I have 18's.  Even so I run them at 2:30- 2:34  around an 8:30 pace.  My last 2-4 miles is in the 7:40 to 7:45 range and is *Nowhere* near my MP.  And my legs feel like Gumby Dammit.

Of 'course I am following a different plan type.  None of my LRs have any MP pacing.  I do however have seriously long ass tempos.  12-15 milers...  and they suck.

I have not run a 20 this year and do not plan to.  My lone 20 last year was run in 2:54, an 8:43 pace.  My easy pace back then was about 8:15 to 8:20 ish.

My 18 today was run in 2:25, an 8:05 pace and about 20 seconds slower than my current easy pace.

In 2012 I ran an 18, 20 and 22 miler up to 45 seconds slower than my then easy pace and there is no way in hell I will ever do anything like that again in my life.

Now I just run long easy, for whatever easy is that day.  My long runs contain no quality or speed, that is reserved for its own day.

Running long blows, running long purposely slower is a death blow to my head.  lol

I have a 12 to 14 mile tempo run next week and I am so looking forward to it after that snooze-fest I had today!