Beginners and Beyond

Wake up WednesDAILIES! (Read 47 times)

LRB

ha same here and I decided to push mine to tonight

but I have had my share of mental toughness runs lately

For real doe.

You're just about 3 weeks out, how are you feeling about your goal?

LRB

4.5 miles today. Still nice, easy, recovery miles. I forgot to say that on yesterday's run I heard a very low growl coming from the woods right next to the road - couldn't tell if it was a big dog or a smaller bear? Do bear growl? Whatever it was, when that happened my dog and I looked at each other and high tailed it out of there - with both of us looking over our shoulders frequently. Because I'm sure we could outrun whatever creature that was.  

Hilarious!

onemile

For real doe.

You're just about 3 weeks out, how are you feeling about your goal?

Somehow I feel unprepared even though I've been training since July and I've run 11 runs over 17 miles, 10 over 18.

Mostly I am so ready for it all to be over.

This week is a cutback week to make sure I recovered from last Sunday's whopper.  So Addie only gave 16 easy for my long run. Does that mean I have no more long runs? Because next weekend will be 2 weeks out, which in the past has meant a 16 mile fast finish LR.

onemile

4.5 miles today. Still nice, easy, recovery miles. I forgot to say that on yesterday's run I heard a very low growl coming from the woods right next to the road - couldn't tell if it was a big dog or a smaller bear? Do bear growl? Whatever it was, when that happened my dog and I looked at each other and high tailed it out of there - with both of us looking over our shoulders frequently. Because I'm sure we could outrun whatever creature that was.  

You're lucky. My dog would go after whatever it was.

DavePNW

Somehow I feel unprepared even though I've been training since July and I've run 11 runs over 17 miles, 10 over 18.

Mostly I am so ready for it all to be over.

This week is a cutback week to make sure I recovered from last Sunday's whopper.  So Addie only gave 16 easy for my long run. Does that mean I have no more long runs? Because next weekend will be 2 weeks out, which in the past has meant a 16 mile fast finish LR.

I believe it. You have been training for this thing for-freaking-ever.

I would imagine you'll get a 16 mile FF, why would she change now? That was good enough for my 2 weeks out run also. Isn't it a good feeling to know you don't have anything longer than 16 left? Those damn LRs are first thing I cut out when not in a training cycle. Still feel the need for something longer on Sundays, but that means 12 tops. Although this cycle has been pretty lame in the LR department anyway. (MTA: went back & checked, worse than I thought - only 3 runs of 18+. Gack.)

Dave

LRB

At which point whatever it was would then be the one running and looking over its shoulder! #brunothedestroyer

onemile

I would imagine you'll get a 16 mile FF, why would she change now? That was good enough for my 2 weeks out run also. Isn't it a good feeling to know you don't have anything longer than 16 left? Those damn LRs are first thing I cut out when not in a training cycle. Still feel the need for something longer on Sundays, but that means 12 tops. Although this cycle has been pretty lame in the LR department anyway. (MTA: went back & checked, worse than I thought - only 3 runs of 18+. Gack.)

I think my taper for CIM was pretty perfect - at least I felt very good in the first 10 miles and 7:15's never felt so easy. And I hate long runs as much as anybody!  The thought of having no more than 16 is awesome but it puts a little doubt in my head (unfounded probably) but if this week is 16 easy, next week 16 FF, and then the following weekend will be 12 with 2x4 at MP (another Addie standard a week out).  So I am feeling like I should just tack on a mile or two onto this weekend's LR so my last long run wasn't 4 weeks before the race.  ??

You had a lot more MLR's than me and my longest mid-week runs were only 12-13

onemile

At which point whatever it was would then be the one running and looking over its shoulder! #brunothedestroyer

That's scary ROS. I get freaked out seeing deer eyes looking at me in the early morning. A growl? I'd be taking another #2 for sure.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

RunningOnSand

That's scary ROS. I get freaked out seeing deer eyes looking at me in the early morning. A growl? I'd be taking another #2 for sure.

LOL @ the #2 comment Big grin

Yeah the eyes freak me out big time.

RunningOnSand

I think my dog's as scared of louder noises as I am. Your dog's name is Bruno? Awesome.

RunningOnSand

I think my taper for CIM was pretty perfect - at least I felt very good in the first 10 miles and 7:15's never felt so easy. And I hate long runs as much as anybody!  The thought of having no more than 16 is awesome but it puts a little doubt in my head (unfounded probably) but if this week is 16 easy, next week 16 FF, and then the following weekend will be 12 with 2x4 at MP (another Addie standard a week out).  So I am feeling like I should just tack on a mile or two onto this weekend's LR so my last long run wasn't 4 weeks before the race.  ??

You had a lot more MLR's than me and my longest mid-week runs were only 12-13

IMO adding on another couple miles won't help tremendously, especially since you're still recovering from last weekend's run. You've done a ton of long runs of 17s and 18s. I'd just stay as is, unless your body is feeling like it needs to run more.

KCRuns

I didn't think of it, but yes, "half-commuting" in the winter is a problem. Full commuting is no big deal.

I went to a couple of web sites for commuting info at first, but there isn't much to say. Just a few tips here and there, but that's all right.

At first I also found a few Strava "friends" who run commuted, and that pushed me into commuting more often, as some people will run commute no matter what, and some days I felt like a wimp for taking my car when I saw they ran. For the extra motivation. Now I just do it because I like it.

Cyberic, Thanks for your help!  I have a couple new things to try over the next few weeks to make sure I'm good before winter starts.  And the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to do this both ways since I am trying to increase my base mileage anyway.

How did you quote me from the other post into this one?  That's a neat trick.

JayB, awesome intervals this morning!

OFR, you're going to do great this weekend!  Can't wait for your RR!

LRB, that's impressive!

I wimped out this morning in the rain and high wind and bailed on my run to work.  I did get 3 super easy recovery miles in during lunch on the treadmill.  Even though I feel good, I know my body is still recovering so I'm trying to keep it easy this week.

onemile

I think my dog's as scared of louder noises as I am. Your dog's name is Bruno? Awesome.

The one on the right is Bruno. On the left is Gracie.  But they came with their names, I didn't choose them.

onemile

I wimped out this morning in the rain and high wind and bailed on my run to work.  I did get 3 super easy recovery miles in during lunch on the treadmill.  Even though I feel good, I know my body is still recovering so I'm trying to keep it easy this week.

A few days after a marathon and you have the right to wimp out - as many times as you want for at least 3 weeks.