Boston Marathon 2009

Fourteen days to go (Read 635 times)

With the two week crowd joining the three week sloths, we're all in taper now. Our good friend btb was kind enough to start weather forecast obsessing this morning, I was going to wait until the 20th appeared on the far edge of a 10 day forecast. He's right, there's no sense waiting to worry when you can worry today, let the gnashing of teeth and wailing begin. Wink (OK, I'm kidding. Do NOT gnash your teeth and send me the bill for dental repairs. The weather changes around here are so extreme this time of year that we generally have very little faith in the forecast on the actual morning.) We got a great report from CFKid, I'm hoping the same holds true for the rest who are nursing nagging injuries.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

All the work is done. All I have to do is stay away from the fridge. Also, I think there is a temptation for me to fit in the 100 chores and projects I have put on hold during the major training. I will enjoy the gardening and will get my eyebrows done and the "silver" washed out of my hair but make sure I get enough rest. A prominent BC woman/ althlete was murdered while running in my favourite trails - at exactly the same point I was at 24 hours before she was discovered. This saddens me. My dog and I have spent so many happy hours here. It is one of the few places where I truly feel free. I feel so much for her family. Otherwise, I'm feeling good. My last training run was slower than I hoped for. I find my legs are beat up. I have purposely created many hilly courses for training. My last marathon was a flat one and I did lots of flat tempo runs for that one. I'm 3 pounds heavier than I was this time last year and not too happy about that. The weather here is absolutely gorgeous. I am going to bike to work today and enjoy yoga tonight.
      Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30
        Got the last long run in this weekend. 3 minutes 30 seconds faster than last years last long run over 20 miles. Hopefully that translates into at least 4 minutes 54 seconds faster over 26.2 on race day. It is what it is at this point. Just keep our heads together and get it done. No amount of stressing will in any way improve performance. Stay safe and healthy! Big grin
        2010 Goals
        Succesful pacing jobs at Shamrock (3:20)...
        VTU 100 Ultramarathon - finish
        at least 250 miles/mo., 3000+ miles for the year
        missy1102

last week ended like this for me: mon- 6ez tues- 10.5 with 2x2mile repeats at tempo (7:25) wed- 2ez thurs- 12.9 with hill repeats fri- 4ez sat- 20 sun- 5.6 ez total 61 TIME TO TAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            I had a busy weekend. Did 10.7 on Saturday with a 10k race in 38:49. Then ran 17.5 yesterday at a good clip. Now its taper time.... two days off this week. Probably 2-3 off next week.... That will be my longest run (not including Boston) until August probably...
            T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Two weeks from right now, I'll be at about mile 23. Dead I can't wait to participate in the Boston Marathon. Good luck to everyone. Bib #2274

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

evanflein

21.2 miles in the books for me yesterday. Lots of hills and 8:28 avg pace, woohoo! I'm feeling pretty good about that one, and the fact that I feel pretty good this morning. I'm going to do quite a bit (I hope) of pool running the next couple of weeks to make sure everything is ready to go. Missy, very impressive week last week!
                seeEricaRun

Awesome

My mileage cut backs were so severe over the bulk of the training period that even though this week was supposed to be the start of a taper, there was no mileage reduction. I had to cut Saturday's run a couple miles short because my knee was really irritated, but I scooted through through the gorgeous weather to a pleasant evenly-paced 16M yesterday. It's cool, my usual modus operandi is to undertrain, and this race is no different.
                    T-Bone, whats your pace strategy? or goal time? Maybe we could run together. would be good for me to have someone to stick with, even if we don't partake in a lot of conversation. We are starting in the same corral so we might be able to hook up. I am planning on going out at 2:57 (6:45/mi) pace and looking for even splits.
                    2010 Goals
                    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

It's cool, my usual modus operandi is to undertrain, and this race is no different.
                      Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that way. :-)
                      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                      T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

T-Bone, whats your pace strategy? or goal time? Maybe we could run together. would be good for me to have someone to stick with, even if we don't partake in a lot of conversation. We are starting in the same corral so we might be able to hook up. I am planning on going out at 2:57 (6:45/mi) pace and looking for even splits.
                        Hey Danny. I'm shooting for a sub 2:50. Probably looking at 6:20s through mile 10 or so. Haven't given it a lot of thought... Regardless, I'd love to meet you. What's you bib #? And where the effe is Wapwallopen? (I'm originally from Jamestown, NY and my wife is from York.) Here's my email - troy.nelson@painehamblen.com.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

bib# is 2557 Wapwallopen is in NE PA near Wilkes Barre/Scranton My wife and I are both originally from the Jamestown NY area. I grew up in Falconer and then Bemus Point and she grew up in Sinclairville.
                          2010 Goals